iTunes: losing wireless connection to hard drive

PSP

iTunes: losing wireless connection to hard drive
« on: 25 Jul 2011, 04:51 pm »
I'm working to set up a modest music system at our cabin.  Due to limited space, we use only a basic MacBook laptop in the living area and will use an SB Touch (wireless) to drive the preamp.

The cabin has a lower level (basement) where I've located an Airport Extreme wireless station and an old Seagate hard drive that contains my music library; the hard dive is connected by USB to the Airport Extreme. The network functions well, and I've successfully pointed iTunes to my remote music library and played music through my computer speakers.  Thus, everything works, so far, for a few minutes.

My problem is that I lose the connection to my remote disc when the hard drive goes to sleep.  On the computer, I've set the Energy Saving Preferences to prevent hard drives from sleeping, but this has not solved the problem. 

So, are there other computer settings I've missed?  Perhaps my old hard drive goes to sleep on it's own and can't be awakened by iTunes?  If so, are there (not too expensive) hard drives that (a) work well with Apple and (b) are known not to suffer from this problem?   My current library is ~ 250Gb, if that's helpful info.

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Pete

PSP

no help?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2011, 04:03 pm »
no ideas or suggestions?  I'm dead in the water until I can figure this out. 

I'm not ready to go out and buy a new external drive to see if that might solve the problem.