Kill Bill- Worthwhile purchase?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 14 Apr 2004, 01:15 am »
I'm getting just close enough to broke this week that I'm not sure If I wanna risk my $17 on Kill Bill- it might be cool or it might be retarded.  I've read plenty of reviews reinforcing each opinion.  My general view of Tarentino's stuff is that his output is uneven.

Any opinions here on KB?

duff138

« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2004, 01:24 am »
what Tarentino stuff do you not care for?

I like all his stuff.  Forgot to get Kill Bill today, will get it tomorrow though. I'm looking foward to vol.2 on Friday.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2004, 01:29 am »
Didn't like Pulp Fiction, loved Reservoir Dogs.  Mostly like him as an actor, from what I've seen.  I just haven't seen a lot of his stuff; isn't KB only his 4th movie as a director?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2004, 01:30 am »
Kill Bill v1 is the only tarantino flick I've ever seen, and I was very disappointed.  My friend was always telling me that his dialogue was really good and that his movies are largely dialogue driven.  Well I thought the dialogue stunk to high heaven and a lot of the action looked too hyper.  It was really melodramatic as well.  My friend was also disappointed.

On the other hand, another friend of mine thought it was the best movie in the whole world and that the action was unbelievably realistic.  Ok, I admit "unbelievably realistic" are my words, not his  :)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2004, 01:33 am »
I realize the idea was to rip off every kung fu movie QT ever saw, but even so a black catsuit or something in pleather would have been more flattering on Uma than Bruce Lee's jumpsuit! :o

God, the trail for KB2 looks but-puckeringly awful.  I've never seen anyone trying so hard not to hit someone with a sword as Uma in that clip.  Which means nothing of course; I've seen movies with great trailers that really turned out to suck and vice versa.

Smeggy

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2004, 02:08 am »
I had higher expectations than the film delivered. It was decent pulp to waste an hour or two on but not something I'd buy. Fairly forgettable and pretty dumb plot, but then, doesn't that describe 95% of all movies?  :?

gongos

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2004, 02:15 am »
The worst thing about Kill Bill v.1 is that it's boring, which is a fatal blow to any action/martial arts movie. Pointless scenes drag on for way too long, ie her choosing a sword. There's no story, no character development. How can a movie that lacks compelling story and characters justify a 3+hr running time? Plus the fight scenes are either pathtic - almost nothing happens in her fight with lucy lui in the end - or they're blatant rip offs of scenes from other movies - the fight in the Japanese club is in large part a frame by frame recreation of Bruce Lee's visit to the opposing martial arts school in the Chinese Connection. Just check out the camera angle when the fight begins. Some people love the fact he copies stuff from other movies. I think it's lame and would rather watch the originals. Don't buy it. Watch one of the 100's of movies QT imitates.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2004, 03:18 am »
Uh, well I'm importing a copy of Kill Bill from Japan for over twice what it's costing at BB...

Look into that what you may. Here's the reason why if you're curious.

jgubman

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2004, 03:20 am »
Wow, I can't believe nobody liked it.

Well, as you can see, it's definately a love it or hate it movie. Personally, I really liked KB. It is the quintessential Tarantino take on the cheesy "Kung-Fu theater" movies that I used to watch on saturdays as a kid. If you were a fan of these movies, there's a pretty good chance you'll like Kill Bill.

It's intentionally a b-grade movie that is ultra violent in a really, really unrealistic and gratuitous way. It's self-indulgent, lacks any real plotline and is way, way over the top, but there was something about it that really struck me as funny and yes, I thought the dialogue was very clever.

Good show, but I walked into it expecting a "homage" to those horrible Kung-Fu Theater movies. As such, this is definately the best Kung-Fu theater I've ever seen!

bob82274

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2004, 03:31 am »
I really liked it... saw it twice in the theatres.  Only two movies could make that claim last year (the other was ROTK).   It is definitely a movie that you either love or hate.  A LOT of people die in it.  And the blood is Monty Python Black Knight style where everyone has very blood pressure.

I think you would like it Rob.  Its a totally different animal than Pulp Fiction (which I liked as well).  And if you don't like it you can atleast count on the Soundtrack to rock.  Tarentino's movies consistently have the best soundtracks.

jgubman

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2004, 03:48 am »
Oh, and I forgot, I'm NOT buying Kill Bill. I decided for once in my life to wait and get the inevitable special edition that will supposedly rejoin both vol 1 & vol 2 into one movie and hopefully re-add all the scenes QT had to cut/alter to please the MPAA.

You might want to wait on this purchase, specially if you're not going to see vol 2 this weekend.

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2004, 04:07 am »
Screw the MPAA and just get the Japanese version (if you can play it). Then you're not getting the R rated version that was shown in theaters.

And I'm not the only AC'er going that route. There's at least one other doing the same...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2004, 04:22 am »
My DVD buying has tapered off a bit lately.  Partly there hasn't been an awful lot I've wanted and partly I've been doing a lot more audio stuff.  I was expecting my new Pioneer DVD burner today, which didn't come. :cry:   That new Eximius DVD+Audio software has been taking a lot of my time.

Plus I've been on a Farscape kick lately, and I recently started over watching from the beginning.  Most of the series is out now, with about 1/2 of the last season still on the way.

I'll definately get "Master And Commander..." next week but I'm still not sure about KB.  The best sale price I've seen locally is $16- a lot for one I haven't heard a lot of good things about.