New / Old turntable

milford3

New / Old turntable
« on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:35 pm »
Got it on EBay for $51.00.  This platter is in mint condition.  Its the Pioneer PL-40

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: New / Old turntable
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:47 pm »
Well now all you need is to make the trip to Double Decker Records :thumb: :thumb:

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:52 pm »
Unfortunately, you can only use "P" style cartridges which really limits your choices.

Wayner

pumpkinman

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:55 pm »
Wayner doesn't Grado still produse a nice selection of P mount cartridges.........Bill

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:55 pm »
Good thing it has that "Dynamic Resonance Absorber" as the plastic base no doubt has lots of them  :roll:

Still, for the money, well, WTF

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:57 pm »
Allentown is just two hours from me.  A great day trip!!

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2011, 07:03 pm »
Hey Cooper, not all of us has 3k or 4k to spend on turntables.

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2011, 07:04 pm »
Wayner doesn't Grado still produse a nice selection of P mount cartridges.........Bill

Yes, Bill, Grado does have a "P" mount in the Prestige series. I think that AT might, too.

Wayner

AVnerdguy

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2011, 07:45 pm »
Yes, AT does have a P mount - same coils and stylus config. as the one I put in Ed's starter except that one is a standard mount cuz I like the options (more variety) of a standard. Amazon has the AT for around $30.00. Not a Grado by any means but the AT surprised me by the detail it let through. Decent bottom end as well.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2011, 10:56 pm »
The Audio Technica models are a fine choice. My brother still has a Technics belt drive table from 30 years ago that was P mount model and the ATs work fine. Ortofon also makes a couple of P mount models that should be considered.

Way back in the day, I had a Technics direct drive model that was P mount as well, and I tried a Grado on it. it was a compliance nightmare. Where the P mount system is supposed to be "plug and play" (i.e. any P mount cartridge was supposed to match perfectly with any P mount arm) with the Technics arm, it just wasn't so- you could actually see the cantilever wiggle in the groove (a.k.a. the Grado dance.) Not good. I am also convinced that setup permanently damaged at least one LP.

Of course, things might be different with your Pioneer using a Grado, but I wouldn't risk it.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:06 am »
Milford3, if you come to my town we should try and meet up, I'm 1/2 mile from DD.... :thumb:

rcag_ils

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:38 am »
Got it on EBay for $51.00.  This platter is in mint condition.  Its the Pioneer PL-40

So, what am I supposed to say?

You could have gotten one for $20.00 at Goodwill.

What is a "Dynamic Resonance Absorber"? Why does it have to be dynamic?

orthobiz

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2011, 01:24 am »
So, what am I supposed to say?

You could have gotten one for $20.00 at Goodwill.

What is a "Dynamic Resonance Absorber"? Why does it have to be dynamic?

I'd say congrats. Fellow in my town had one of these in the original box with the original packing and the arm/platter mechanism was DOA. So 51 bucks for a working TT is a decent deal indeed!

The dynamic stabilizer is the silver tube around the arm tube. I'll bet you dynamic refers to the viscoelastic properties of whatever is in that secret tube.

Paul

rcag_ils

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2011, 02:10 am »
Whatever that thing is by the arm may be a "Dynamic resonance absorber", but the chassis and the platter are big resonance generators.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:00 am »
Hey Milford,
Congratulations on your new table and getting into records. Those AT P-mounts seem to work pretty good. Any replacement stylus with that unique looking plastic stylus holder, will fit as a replacement when it's needed. LpGear has a good selection. I suspect that records and cleaning capability will take up your budget for awhile. If you have problems or questions - just ask.
Regards,
neo

orthobiz

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:15 am »
Whatever that thing is by the arm may be a "Dynamic resonance absorber", but the chassis and the platter are big resonance generators.

20 years later, it is what it is, a good buy and a toe in the vinyl waters. Time for the OP to jump in!

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:33 am »

20 years later, it is what it is, a good buy and a toe in the vinyl waters. Time for the OP to jump in!

Paul

Thanks Paul I don't know why some readers have to be such a downer. Everyone has to start somewhere
and if he feels like he can get a different TT later............Bill

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:51 am »
For $51 a great way to get back into vinyl. I pulled out my Denon 52f from years of hibernation last year, then Bill kept dragging me to DD, now I have 3 bookcases of vinyl that were never there before  :scratch:

And for the 'downers' the OP can upgrade in a year or so if he enjoys the vinyl experience. And if not, he's not out a ton of money.

milford3 - but be carefull brother, not only do I now have 3 bookcases that weren't there a year ago, but I have 2 VPI tables sitting side by side, how did they get there??? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jul 2011, 01:32 pm »
I'm going to get back in as well.....starting lowly and will work my way up if I like it.
Last time I spun a album was late 80s....

As far as the rude comment....
I remember my first car......Ferrari.......Not!
But I have a beautiful ride now.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jul 2011, 04:56 pm »
db Cooper / rcag-ils,

Please stop taking a squat on our OP's purchase :(

He bought what he bought and so long as it runs - one can do a great many simple things to improve upon it for little outlay. 

Let's show a little more camaraderie and a fair less snoot to newbie's and returnee's to vinyl.  Without fostering this, this little vinyl renaissance we have today will go away like the Do Do Bird.

Thanks to all those that welcomed milford3 to the fold here  :wave:

Milford, as I'm want to say, about the cheapest and most significant upgrade you can do for your new deck is fill it's hollow cavities up with non-hardening modeling clay.  Do a search in The Vinyl Circle at AC for 'modeling clay', or 'plasticlay' or 'plast-i-clay' (this is the best known brand name for this kind of clay) and you'll find many helpful discussions on this.

You are maybe $25 and 2 hours of your time in making your inexpensive new Pioneer TT a VERY much better front end than you likely could imagine now. with the application of 5-8lbs of modeling clay to the hollow, resonant innards.

Regards,

John / Facilitator The Vinyl Circle