Which tube(s) to try in a Peachtree Audio Decco?

neekomax

Which tube(s) to try in a Peachtree Audio Decco?
« on: 23 Jul 2011, 11:24 pm »
First of all, I'm a tube noob. Except that I've had a '69 Fender Bandmaster guitar amp for years. Anyhoo...

Anyone have thoughts/opinions/experience on whether/which NOS tube(s) might be a good fit for this cool piece of kit (Decco)? I'm using it as my DAC/preamp into an Acurus DIA-100 passive pre 100w solid state amp. I'm not sure which kind of tube it requires, I believe it might be a 6922.

Saw this for sale, might it be a candidate? http://www.echohifi.com/details/4224/Westinghouse_6922

jlafrenz

Re: Which tube(s) to try in a Peachtree Audio Decco?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2011, 02:44 pm »
I had a Decco 2 for a while and tried a 6922 in it. It didn't work out too well as it crackled a lot. I found out that the tube wasn't really compatable. Try a 6N1P or 6CG7/6FQ7. I wish I could remember what brand it was that I picked up for it, but I can say that it was a nice improvement over the stock tube.

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:12 pm »
Do the Decco and Decco 2 take the same kind of tube?

irishsammy

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2011, 10:12 pm »
I had a Decco 2 for a while and tried a 6922 in it. It didn't work out too well as it crackled a lot. I found out that the tube wasn't really compatable. Try a 6N1P or 6CG7/6FQ7. I wish I could remember what brand it was that I picked up for it, but I can say that it was a nice improvement over the stock tube.

I don't think it's that the 6922 is incompatible...you might have just had a bad one.  I have a Decco2 and I rolled in an Amperex 6922 from the 60's that works great.  It's a definite change from the stock tube in that it's not as soft-sounding throughout the frequency range.  Treble in particular is crisper.  It expanded the soundstage a good bit, too.  Don't look for a huge difference with NOS tubes but you can definitely roll in better stuff than the stock bottle (not that it's horrible, either).