PureMusic compatibility with new async USB interface

claytontstanley

Has anyone experimented with PureMusic http://www.channld.com/puremusic/ and Steve's new Asynchronous USB interface? Maybe with one of his new Overdrives or a new Offramp? How does it sound? Would you recommend the player?

There is a setting in the software to enable 'exclusive access to the USB driver - hog mode'. I'm thinking this may be similar to kernel streaming mode on Windows? Is this important/compatible with the new USB drivers? It won't work with my M2tech Hiface.

Also, I just wanted to say that the way they implemented FLAC support is a way better hack than how Amarra does it. With PureMusic, you can play FLAC files directly in iTunes, they look identical to other files, embedded artwork works, they can be 24/96, they aren't copied into the iTunes database, so the file listed in iTunes can point to a FLAC file on a network store (which is sweet), etc.. Also, you don't have to download third-party sw (e.g., Fluke) to allow for FLAC support, and you don't have to use a separate playlist viewer window when playing FLAC files. In short, FLAC support is pretty-much transparent.

-Clayton

audioengr

Re: PureMusic compatibility with new async USB interface
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2011, 12:34 am »
Has anyone experimented with PureMusic http://www.channld.com/puremusic/ and Steve's new Asynchronous USB interface? Maybe with one of his new Overdrives or a new Offramp?

I've tested Pure Music with both Off-ramp 3 and Off-Ramp 4 as well as Overdrive.  Works fine.  I prefer the sound of Amarra 1.2 however.  YMMV.

There is a setting in the software to enable 'exclusive access to the USB driver - hog mode'. I'm thinking this may be similar to kernel streaming mode on Windows? Is this important/compatible with the new USB drivers? It won't work with my M2tech Hiface.

It's a method to provide more priority I think.  I could not get it to work either as I recall.

Also, I just wanted to say that the way they implemented FLAC support is a way better hack than how Amarra does it. With PureMusic, you can play FLAC files directly in iTunes, they look identical to other files, embedded artwork works, they can be 24/96, they aren't copied into the iTunes database, so the file listed in iTunes can point to a FLAC file on a network store (which is sweet), etc.. Also, you don't have to download third-party sw (e.g., Fluke) to allow for FLAC support, and you don't have to use a separate playlist viewer window when playing FLAC files. In short, FLAC support is pretty-much transparent.

Can you control FLAC file playback on a Mac from an iPad using PM on the Mac?

I believe you have to use the playlist feature in Amarra to play FLAC, but I dont believe this can be controlled by iPad like iTunes can.

Steve N.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2011, 12:58 am »
PM creates a bookmark file to enable the playback of FLAC files using iTunes.  This works from both the Mac running PM/iTunes and remotely on an iPod or iPad.

claytontstanley

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2011, 01:26 am »

Can you control FLAC file playback on a Mac from an iPad using PM on the Mac?

Yes you can, using the iPhone/iPad Remote app. I tested it out this evening with the Remote app on my old iPhone. This was the main feature I needed to move away from Foobar (you can do this with Foobar with the right plugin) and Windows, and over to OS X.

I believe you have to use the playlist feature in Amarra to play FLAC, but I dont believe this can be controlled by iPad like iTunes can.

Yep, this is how I see it too. AFAIK, b/c Amarra uses a separate 'playlist view' when playing FLAC, you cannot do this with Amarra when listening to FLAC. At least, not as seamlessly. With PM, I can have a playlist with mixed FLAC/aac/wav, and navigate to it using the Remote app, and advance through the tracks/adjust volume, etc.

claytontstanley

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2011, 10:32 pm »
After experimenting with the software for a week, here's my quick review:

Pros:
-Like how FLAC can be played without a separate playlist view
-iTunes isn't playing the audio file in the background while PM is processing it (Amarra does this)
-It runs on PPC

Cons:
-It does feel a bit janky; I have to restart it every morning, before trying to hit play again, after letting it stay on overnight; It takes a bit of time for the FLAC file to start playing over a network server; hitting play on the Remote app doesn't always start the audio; killing PM before quitting iTunes causes PM to not exit gracefully every once in a while
-I had issues running the software under a separate user account for some reason; again, feels like there are a few bugs that need to be squashed
-No Applescript support

Notes:
I'm running an aged G5 PPC; YMMV with newer, faster, fresher systems.

Would I recommend the software; not sure, as I haven't tried out some of the other OS X players yet, and I have an old system. I will say that the User Experience with Foobar is much much better. Next I'm going to try out other players; Amarra, and I really want to try Decibel, but that requires an Intel machine; I might just need to make the investment and get one of the new Mac Mini's.

-Clayton