Amy Winehouse found dead

rajacat

• Washington State

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Amy Winehouse found dead
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:28 pm »
So many music artists died at the age of 27.
Joplin, Hendrix, Morrison... plenty more.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:29 pm »
Sad to hear, but given what was already known, not totally unexpected.  Lots of talent that was wasted.

BobC

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:37 pm »
RIP.  I enjoyed her music.

But...gotta say she has been headed for disaster for a while, but of course the cause of death is currently unknown...so I guess thats not fair.

It'll be interesting to see if her name routinely gets mentioned in the same sentence as Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain, etc, with only 1 hit album.  Even Cobain, while great, was no Hendrix IMHO.

Regardless, a sad loss. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:56 pm »
She had a nice voice when she was sober enough to use it. She was born the same year as me. Pretty sad that she is gone.

R.I.P.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:56 pm »
I won't speak ill of the dead, but her disease was 100% preventable. Well, upon further review, maybe not. Seems she was diagnosed with a serious mental illness,and refused to take her medication. I suspect depression got the best of her.

Doc.

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2011, 06:06 pm »
I just learned this on a news report.  Tragic end to a rare talent.   It's a shame most people are more familiar with Amy's troubles than her talents.  She has been messed up for so long, it's easy to forget how great she was when she was at her peak. 

This song still gives me chills and seems to be an apropriate tribute to Amy's tragic life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbVp09E1LRg

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2011, 06:52 pm »
Tragic end to a rare talent.   It's a shame most people are more familiar with Amy's troubles than her talents. 

Thanks for the link - great performance. The thing about it that strikes me is if you watch her eyes as she works through that song, drawing on all the emotions inside her - defiance, anger, sadness, fear...that's what made her delivery so real and appealing and what made her a special talent. We could do with more of that.

D.D.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2011, 06:58 pm »
I thought of her as a little white Jewish Billie Holiday.  She could write and sing equally well, very well, to me.  A cryin shame but as said already, not a shock.   

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2011, 07:22 pm »
It's sad to hear that such a talent will not be singing anymore.  Frank is a fantastic album. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2011, 08:42 pm »
I thought of her as a little white Jewish Billie Holiday.  She could write and sing equally well, very well, to me.  A cryin shame but as said already, not a shock.

I agree Jim. She reminds me most of Billie Holiday. RIP.

Anand.

rpf

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2011, 09:58 pm »
So sad.

F-100

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm »
Well, that what she get for not going to rehab...No, no,no... :D

vhiner

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2011, 10:48 pm »
...and what does one get for posting incredibly stupid cheap shots on the day a woman's family is grieving?  :shake:

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2011, 12:09 am »
Thanks for the link - great performance. The thing about it that strikes me is if you watch her eyes as she works through that song, drawing on all the emotions inside her - defiance, anger, sadness, fear...that's what made her delivery so real and appealing and what made her a special talent. We could do with more of that.

D.D.

Great catch!  That's what I love about Amy's singing.  You can hear the pain and anger in her words as she sings and see it on her face.  She was a true artist and it is very sad she couldn't find peace in her life.   

There was a clip somewhere where she said, to the audience, it was hard for her to sing all of her songs in concert because they bring back the emotions she was feeling when she wrote the songs.  Amy was a tortured artist and her obituary seems to have  been written a long time ago.   

Even if many people don't share my opinion, when she was on top of her game, Amy was a rare talent.  Her frequent drunken/drug induced stumbles made her an easy target, and the irony of the "Rehab" song and her drug related death only invite snide and insensitive comments.  Maybe the time rule (time+tragedy=comedy) doesn't apply to Amy because she's been close to death for so long.  It's like she died years ago.  Her face is certainly not the face of a 27 year old.     

decal

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2011, 12:21 am »
A new member of Club Twentyseven. :(

flintstone

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2011, 02:17 am »
I saw it and mentioned it to my wife and daughter........neither one had heard of her?...........can't say I've ever heard her music either? ..........to bad anyway......so young.

Dave

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2011, 02:36 am »
Tragic....a great talent...and tormented like so many talented others before her  :(

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2011, 03:12 am »
I'm sorry, but mentioning Joplin's name in the same breath as this chick does a grave disservice to a talented legend. Society today is very confused IMHO.  :o

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2011, 03:25 am »
I'm sorry, but mentioning Joplin's name in the same breath as this chick does a grave disservice to a talented legend. Society today is very confused IMHO.  :o

I assume that the many parallels between the lives ( and deaths ) of both of these talented artists are not lost on a lot of music fans. I guess society was very confused 40 years ago, too...

D.D.