Any projects slated for this weekend?

JoshK

« on: 31 Jan 2003, 09:22 pm »
I had so much fun doing the TT stand last weekend that I decided to make speaker stands for my Maggies this weekend.  My wife cleverly came up with a quite unusual dual design speaker stand. I am looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.  It certainly helps having the right tools.  

Anyone doing any DIY projects this weekend?  

If I get ahead of myself and finish the stands and building shelfs for my tool closet I will start on a DIY headphone amp that I ordered the parts for.  This will be the first DIY electronics kit I have done.  Actually it isn't really a kit, just a list of parts and a schematic, should be interesting.

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2003, 12:44 am »
Hm, I need to mess about trying to mount the speed sensor for my Teres. If I can I'm going to cut the wood for a small center speaker :-)

Ferdi

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2003, 01:00 am »
I may start building my scratch GG. Let's see.
You'll know when I do because I'll have lots of silly questions. This is my first component.  :D

Beezer

TT isolation
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2003, 01:16 am »
With my Interspace arriving next week, I'm thinking about fashioning some sort of isolation shelf to put on my rack.  I see a wooden box with an open top, squash balls and some sort of heavy shelf, either maple or granite.  The box's inner perimeter would be slight larger than the shelf and its inner height would be about the same as the squash balls plus the shelf thickness.  I'd fill the bottom of the box with the squash balls and then place the shelf on the squash balls.  Then I'd put the whole contraption on some adjustable spikes for further isolation and leveling capabilities.

Does this make any sense?  I might just be better off with the heavy shelf on the spikes...

Beez

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2003, 01:55 am »
I'm thinking keep the idea but replace squash balls with sand....

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2003, 02:25 am »
Installing new lighting in our game room. :( Not quite the kind of project I had in mind but at least not too horrible.

Disassembling the newly arrived used sub. It arrived today apparently undamaged but is dead as a rock.  :evil: I am sure hoping for a loose wire somewhere.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2003, 02:52 am »
Quote from: mgalusha
Installing new lighting in our game room. :( Not quite the kind of project I had in mind but at least not too horrible.

Did that last weekend.  Ripped out all the drywall in the billiards room, and re hung.  Installed recessed lighting in that room and the game room beside it.

Brought it up from the 1977 Disco it was originally (no kidding) into a reasonable mid 90's looking room today :-)

harvardian

• http://www.dipchipelec.com
Aleph2 Clone
« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2003, 02:10 am »
Building one channel of my aleph2 clone. First try => smoke

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2003, 03:25 am »
My wife and I got sick this weekend.....not as productive as I had hoped...mostly just sleeping and watching movies....

:inlove:  :smoke:  :sleep:

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2003, 04:11 am »
Quote from: JoshK
:inlove:  :smoke:  :sleep:

That's all me and Ellen did as newlyweds...:inlove:  :smoke:  :sleep:

PeteG

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2003, 10:27 am »
Putting the last two coats of varnish on my MTM speakers
should be done sunday with the cabinets, and crossovers, wire
& drivers next weekend, I hope.

-Pete

Ernest

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2003, 04:46 pm »
I'm going to pay the bills.  Then I'm going to cry...

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2003, 09:02 pm »
My weekend project was building one side of my full range bass reflex speaker.  (The TNT "Big Fun Box" more or less) Gee, I guess they aren't kidding about that cabinet size\port size stuff - the thing sounds like ASS!  Like a damn CB radio!  Heh!  Now I'm really interested to hear something from Omega as I assume they know how to do it right! Heh!  Okay, so I thought I'd get away with putting it in a way-too-large- cabinet and filling the remainder with foam squares and using the existing port from the old speaker.  Nope, there's no free lunch I guess!  Oh well, it was FUN and no harm was done.

My kingdom for some visceral impact...please lord, just send me some $!@##^&*@  bass! Please!!!  :shake:

beat

finished my speaker cabinets tonight
« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2003, 06:17 am »
the rest of the week I will be trying to figure out how to wire the blasted things. it would be a piece of cake but my new amp needs 6 ohms and the drivers I have for the cabinets Im making are a 4 ohm tweet and a 4 ohm woofer..any ideas? I'm new at this

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2003, 07:52 am »
What kind of amp is this - ?

sac1973

« Reply #15 on: 5 Feb 2003, 12:08 am »
mine is designing a sliding bottom shelf for my receiver on my entertainment center.  here is what the entertainment center looks like  http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=161231-999-726W  i think i finally decided to by a pair of side mounting drawer brackets that are rated for 100lbs and slide.  if mounted facing down with the shelf screwed into the top of the bracket i should have what i'm looking for.  the only major problem is i'm going to have to unplug everything and pull it out so that i can lay the entertainment center down to mount the brackets to the bottom of the center.