German F1

ltr317

German F1
« on: 23 Jul 2011, 04:47 am »
It looks like Ferrari is strong again after the first two practice sessions.  It's supposed to rain the next two days, so things can change in a hurry.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: German F1
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2011, 05:22 am »
Maybe if Schumie can avoid running into people, when they aren't being stupid and running into him, he can finally make a podium. Given he had the 10 sec stop & go in the last race for hitting Kobyashi when he was 8th, and still finished 12th, looks like MB is making improvements. Rosberg managed a respectable finish, though didn't appear he was as quick as Michael on the whole at Silverstone.

And, Yes, appears from Ferrari's finishes in the last couple of races they've made good progress overall. Will be looking forward to this one, especially if it's wet, as that's the big equalizer.

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2011, 03:37 am »
What a great race at the front for the entire 60 laps.  I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. 

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2011, 03:49 am »
Very fun race. Great season so far!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2011, 04:15 am »
Once again again again Ferrari Team sabotages the pit stop of Felipe Massa, this time the problem was (at third stop) one of the big screw/nut of the wheel fall on the floor.
Felipe said:
"The mechanic lost his nut. When he took the nut fell off the gun and rolling it went. With this, we ended up losing a few seconds, also which was enough to lose the position. At the time I left the pits nut was rolling in front of me."

"In race pace, our car was very good and go well with both types of tires. In Hungary, a week from today, much hotter should be, which should theoretically forvor us. The tires are the softer also, that always works best for us, then we expect the Ferrari can go strong in Budapest.''

To my surprise, even with the nut mess Massa said he was very pleased with the performance of Ferrari this weekend. This huge patience of Massa is annoying.
Obvious to me Ferrari will always delay Massa in the pit stops to keep he away of good results or to force he leave Ferrari Team for 2012.
Something very strange is happening between Ferrari and Massa.

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm »
Can't stand these same-day tape-delayed races!!

I end up watching the entire thing on live timing and scoring on the PC in the morning, and then watch at least most of the race (the whole German GP was worth watching!) at noon (EST).

Watching the timing and scoring feed w/out the race on is actually pretty cool - you can actually get a much better feel for much of what's going on than if you just watched the TV feed by itself.

Fullrange - I told my wife that you were going to post that Ferrari deliberately botched Massa's stop, and sure enough...  Do you really think that they are trying to get Massa to leave the team by pissing him off? And that they are willing to throw mfgr points (and therefore potentially big $$$) away to do this?  I'm not buyin' it, but it's a fun theory to chew on.

-Mike

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2011, 05:59 pm »
The new tire rules are taking control of the race!
They should let the teams have a voice in what grade tires are selected for any race track.
They should also require two green flag laps on each grade (with some exceptions).

ltr317

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:29 pm »
Fullrange - I agree with Mike.  At first, I thought you were on to something regarding Massa.  But in this race, there is no reason for the Ferrari team to deliberately lose the wheel nut.  I seriously doubt Ferrari wants to give Vettel two extra points and for them to lose those points.  Massa is not in contention to win the title this year, but the team certainly doesn't want Vettel get the extra points over Alonso. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:47 pm »
Can't stand these same-day tape-delayed races!!

I end up watching the entire thing on live timing and scoring on the PC in the morning, and then watch at least most of the race (the whole German GP was worth watching!) at noon (EST).

-Mike

Agreed Mike, but allowing Fox to broadcast the 4 races they do does give the series a wider viewing base. With luck some folks who may have heard of F1 but don't know anything about it or have never seen a race get exposed to the art/science. As well as for those of us who've had to scale back due to the economy I get to watch it without bothering my buddy to 'tape' it from his Speed broadcast.

Which site on the PC do you watch them live on ?  Seems satfrat may have posted a site a while back but can't find it at the moment. Thanks.  JD

mfsoa

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:44 pm »
Hi JD,

You need to go to the official F1 website (formula1.com) and hit the Live Timing button. You need to register but it's free.

Now you too can say "Alonso is purple is sector 2" Seriously it is super cool to watch battles all the way down the field, or watch your guy pick up 0.1 sec on this lap, 0.3 on the next etc. And you can clearly see the soft tires wearing by the lack of new purple (fastest) sector times over the life of the tire.

At least fox has the real announcers doing their stuff (I think Varsha, Matchett and Hobbs are great. And the pit reporter does a really good job too). I remember years ago they had some dude who could not pronounce Villeneuve to save his life - And during the pit stop when I wanted Matchett to say "4.3 seconds of fuel, that'll be good for 18 laps, so XXXX will be pitting 3 laps later than YYYY" what we got is "LOOK HOW FAST THEY CHANGE THE TIRES"  :o :lol:

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:00 am »
On Speed you can watch timing and scoring live
http://www.speedtv.com/formula-1-racecast/

There is also an iPad app on SpeedTV somewhere with live timing and scoring, can't locate the link.  :scratch:

F1 video is not available legally on the internet, talk to Bernie...

This site rebroadcast live F1 on the net.. look what happened...  :bawl:

I remember seeing Ferrari pit stops on Berger and Alesi being 5 seconds dead for tires only and that was the fastest of any team. Now 5 secs. is a royal screw up. ;)   I heard someone say Massa will not resigned to Ferrari after 2012 season. I will not offer further comment so as to not inflame fullrangeman's tender spot for Felipe, but leave it to say I am gratified to hear the news. Button would make a great, grown-up teammate to Alonso.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:06 am »
At least you can go to Formula1.com a few hours after the race to get the entire post race news conference with the top three drivers, something that FOX chooses to omit from their broadcast.

Frank Van Alstine

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2011, 02:57 am »
Dear MFSOA and ITR317,
I already see Ferrari cook in pressure his second driver many times since 1973, when I started reading the Auto Esporte magazine.
I suppose it has to do with the internal rule of Ferrari: The Ferrari drivers do not run for themselves, but for the team.

Some Ferrari victims on the past were Jo Siffert-Swiss, Jack Icks-Belgian, Clay Regazzoni-Swiss, Carlos Reutemann-Argentina, Jody Scheckter-S.Africa, Eddie Irvine-Ireland, Barrichello-Brasil (two times out of gas, second time in Brazil GP and lose the race & championship for it) and now Massa.
Regazzoni take the strife to the sports magazines in low terms, it was much funny read it at the time.

I remember there was another long drama in 1995 between Ferrari and Jean Alesi-France, as always Alesi was fried by some races, and fired as soon as possible, at the end of the season, the first pilot at the time was Gerhard Berger-Austria.

This year Ferrari Team dalayed Massa in all races, except one, If I remember well.
It is undeniable that Ferrari is doing it again with one more 2ºpilot, as Alonso pitstops are just perfect, also others Teams pitstops are good in all great F1 Teams.

I suppose the reason is this: there is rumours Ferrari want Hamilton or Vettel for 2012.
I never see a Ferrari second pilot win the championship since I remember.

Obviusly the other hipotesys is Massa to be a huge unlucky driver, I believe in coincidences, but not so big coincidences.
What to do!
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2011, 06:02 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

Crimson

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:27 am »
Ferrari, unlike some of the other teams, will ALWAYS have a #1 and a #2. A good #2, but a #2 nonetheless. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It is, after all, a team (constructor) sport. And I don't think they deliberately dropped a nut on Massa, and I'm not a Phil fan (if you can't drive in the rain, you really shouldn't be in F1).

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:32 am »
Eddie Irvine victim?  :rotflmao:

Massa is only as good as the car, and he can't develop a car like previous team leaders have. Ferrari needs two drivers capable of winning the championship, just like their competitors have. It's the only way to win mfg championship nowadays.