Lorelei Driver Replacement

pugs

« on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:25 pm »
I've been looking for new speakers lately.  Fortunately,  my budget has increased a bit (thanks to my understanding wife).  I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of Loreleis.  The only worry I have is the lack of a grill.  I have a one year old boy now and will have more kids in the future.  This leads me to a couple of questions:

1)  If my kid damages a driver, would it be hard or expensive to replace?
2)  Is there some way to attach a grill?

I'm excited about the thought of getting the speakers, but I don't want to be shelling out a lot of money if my kid does something to them.

Any other info regarding the Lorelei would be appeciated.  I've pretty much read every post here and on AA, but it would be nice to get more feedback.

scottpretti

« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2004, 05:58 pm »
I think they use a 7" Scan Speak 18W/8545  drivers at about 140.00 each.  I don't  know if they are matched pairs, they should be!

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2004, 06:26 pm »
Pugs,

They do in fact use the 18/8545 drivers.  The cone and dust cap are both carbon doped paper and by no means your average paper driver.  I would think the surrounds would give out before a youngster would be able to poke a finger through the cone or dust cap!  

The only way I'd know of to work a grill onto them may be to cut out and hem a piece of black material and affix it with small stick on velcro dots.  That way it would be removable with no alteration or affect to the finish yet might keep small fingers and curiosity from costing you money!  I do know that should a driver need replacement Klaus is good about providing drivers for less than retail.

I feel you would be VERY happy with the Lorelie's!!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2004, 06:29 pm »
Quote from: scottpretti
I think they use a 7" Scan Speak 18W/8545  drivers at about 140.00 each.  I don't  know if they are matched pairs, they should be!
      Parts Express has them #296-524 for $142.80 and even tho nothing is said about the drives being matched, this also seems to be a good idea. BTW, how are drivers matched up and what info would one need to have in order to replace a damaged 8545 with a matching one. As I have 4 Lorelei's, this knowledge could come in handy. Even tho I have no kids, I've been known to be worse than one at times. :lol: Regards, Robin

pugs

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2004, 06:53 pm »
I worry about the tweeters also.  I think I saw them for $180 somewhere.  That's not too bad I guess.  I'm kind of relieved that they're not too much.  I would have to practice my soldering skills if I ever did have a problem though.

Now I'm getting very excited.   I talked to Klaus yesterday, and am going to call him today to place my order.  I'm also going to order a Nemesis.

Eventually, I'm going to replace my surrounds.  I remember one of you uses Polk.  Anybody else have surround recommendations?  I think I want a pair of dipoles, pair of monopoles for DVD-A and SACD, and one monopole for the surround back.

Do you think they'll sound better than my NHT 2.5i  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2004, 07:04 pm »
Quote from: pugs
I worry about the tweeters also.  I think I saw them for $180 somewhere.  That's not too bad I guess.  I'm kind of relieved that they're not too much.  I would have to practice my soldering skills if I ever did have a problem though.

Now I'm getting very excited.   I talked to Klaus yesterday, and am going to call him today to place my order.  I'm also going to order a Nemesis.

Eventually, I'm going to replace my surrounds.  I remember one of you uses Polk.  Anybody else have surround recommendations? ...
Any of the other Alain Courteau designed loudspeakers (floorstanders or bookshelf) would be a perfect match of the Alain designed Nemisis and they all blend in nice with the Lorelei as does my Nemisis/Lorelei's combinations. You really can't go wrong with any of the combinations, let your wallet be your guide. OR you can close your eyes, pull out the plastic, and get 4 Lorelei's and 2 Nemisis for an ultimate 6.1 system. I figure mine will be paid off by this time next year,,, :lol: Regards, Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2004, 07:09 pm »
Quote from: pugs

Eventually, I'm going to replace my surrounds.  I remember one of you uses Polk.  Anybody else have surround recommendations? ...
Any of the other Alain Courteau designed loudspeakers (floorstanders or bookshelf) would be a perfect match of the Alain designed Nemisis and they all blend in nice with the Lorelei as does my Nemisis/Lorelei's combinations. You really can't go wrong with any of the combinations, let your wallet be your guide. OR you can close your eyes, pull out the plastic, and get 4 Lorelei's and 2 Nemisis for an ultimate 6.1 system. I figure mine will be paid off by this time next year,,, :lol: Regards, Robin

byteme

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2004, 07:15 pm »
Pugs,

I've got the full Polk compliment all around with the front three now in process of being replaced by Odyssey.  I've got Lorelei mains and my Nemesis should be arriving this week.  For sides I'm using Polk f/x500i's and rears are RT25i's.  They blend great - the 25i's aren't the last word in bass, but for their size they wouldn't be.  Besides, they're rear surrounds and for that they rock.  I'm a big fan of the dipole side surrounds for diffusion of sound when watching movies.  The f/x's are great for that.  I've done a couple all Polk home theater installs for people and am always (somewhat surprisingly) happy with how well they sound.

scottpretti

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2004, 09:01 pm »
One can not buy a single matched driver, they would come in pairs.  If you PM me, I'll send you to a site that sells matched pairs and quads of ScanSpeak drivers.  First check with Odyssey to see if they have them matched.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2004, 04:22 am »
Nope,  not matched,  which really isn't a big deal at all with the Scans and especially on this design.  You wouldn't hear any difference at all,  and it's quite difficult to get them matched.  As for the pricing,  well,  our customers pay less than $ 100.  for any booboo's for the drivers.

Late,

Klaus

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2004, 11:09 am »
How about grills with magnetic covers !!

Pugs, I feel ya.  Right now I can't justify the chance of little fingers doing a knuckle rap test with grill-less speakers. :?

pugs

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2004, 01:31 pm »
I ordered a pair of Lorelei, pair of Epiphony, and a Nemesis yesterday.  I'm thinking of ordering another Nemesis for the surround back.

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2004, 06:39 pm »
The problem here is that you guys aren't treating the problem at the source!  Here's what you've gotta build.  I guarantee you won't have any driver problems with this cost-effective tweak:

pugs

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2004, 07:38 pm »
Very nice!  Maybe I can use one of those bug zappers or even better put one of those invisible electric dog fences around them.  You've got me thinking  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:

byteme

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2004, 08:14 pm »
Dog fence is a sweet idea.  Works great with our Golden!

Nathan, you know if you developed the toxic slime into a consistency which would also absorb vibration in the verticle and horizontal plane I think you'd be on to something.  Very multi purpose.

And if you got frickin' sharks with frickin' lasers on their head swimming around in there - all the better!

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 15 Apr 2004, 01:23 am »
Nathan, how deep do I build the moat?

nathanm

« Reply #16 on: 15 Apr 2004, 02:40 am »
It can be as shallow as 6" but I prefer deeper.  The moat should be deep enough so that in case the toxic slime does not eat away the child's legs fast enough, total submersion and consequential drowning will be possible.  This is just a failsafe though, as the slime will usually disintigrate the average  toddler's lower legs and toso within a few minutes.  If your tyke is made of sterner stuff you may want to take extra precautions and use the deeper moat.  Whether deep or shallow, your dust caps and tweeters will be safe and sound; and that's the important thing.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 15 Apr 2004, 04:15 am »
You might wanna add a splash guard around the bottom in case the lil' tyke thrashed around a bit while being dissolved...  :peek:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2004, 04:26 am »
Yep, after all, the Lorelei's aren't any more waterproof than they are poke-proof. :lol: Regards, Robin

Captain Humble

« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:47 am »
Down the bayou in Louisiana we find that staking a gator on a short leash next to the speaker works wonders.  Now that I'm in Texas I find barbed wire works well and is much easier to come by.  :rock:

You might hook a single mono extreme to the barbed wire so you can hear the little fella howller before he gets too scarred up. That'ld be the humane thing to do.
Jeff