meta data on vinyl studio

mikeeastman

meta data on vinyl studio
« on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:33 am »
I am Mike's wife and using his account to ask this question as I am helping him with his Music Project.
We have diff files that were taken from vinyl that we are converting to 24 bit/ 192 hz .wav files using Audio Gate software and adding the meta data using Vinyl Studio.
Vinyl Studio l gets the metadata off the internet but only gets the song name.  It does not put the album name or artist on the .wav file. 
The problem is that when I put these songs into my itunes they are all listed together at the bottom of itunes in alphabetical order - 100's of songs.
I can put the missing meta data in by hand but shouldn't vinyl studio be doing this.  If not, is there a better program?  Any help you can give me would be appreciated as I am the one who will be hand entering the metadata.  :duh: Thanks.

Mary

srb

Re: meta data on vinyl studio
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2011, 05:37 am »
Mary,

.Wav files do not natively support metadata tags.  Programs like dBpoweramp (and Vinyl Studio?) can add ID3 tags to .wav files, but many music players can't read them, and I think iTunes is one that cannot.

You might want to consider converting the .diff files to .aiff files which do have full metadata tag support and see if all of the metadata gets imported correctly.  On my system, I think .wav and .aiff files sound the same.  If you feel that your .wav files are superior to .aiff you could always convert the .aiff files to .wav in iTunes after they have been imported.

Remember that the metadata tags that appear in iTunes for .wav files are stored in the iTunes database and not in the individual file headers.  If you decide to use those .wav files later in another music player, they will again be missing the tags.  For that reason, you may want to consider using .aiff files for your library.  You could convert a small batch of the .diff files to .aiff files to compare to .wav files and see if you can hear any difference played back in iTunes.

Steve

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:55 pm »
Thanks so much for the info.  I will give it a try.  Sounds a lot easier than what I had planned on doing.
Mary

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:12 pm »
If Mac based:
 you could do what I do (because I like wav but as mentioned it does not do metadata well)

1) Do all your rips in Audiogate, but ask for FLAC instead, and make sure the rips have the filenames with track number-artist-album-title in them (for later sorting in itunes, see below) which is a function of the DIFF file naming in Korg or whatever you use.  Clean up any metadata in FLAC (using things like MP3tag if needed).  In most cases you won't need to.

2) Then (in db poweramp) convert the FLACs to both wavs and any MP3s you want (I use small 68k cuz they are simply used to bring metadat over; they'll be deleted later).  Put both sets of files in itunes.

3) Download itunify (Mac-only freeware) and use it's copy commands to copy the mp3 tags to wav, then delete the mp3's.
http://www.satsumac.com/Store.php

Sounds like a lot of work, but takes a minute once you have it down.  it also allows you to save the FLACS for archiving (wavs are too big to archive).

This MAC process (along with the much more kludgy way of saving cover art, but I do it  :) ) is described in this pdf.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/WAV-file-tagging-and-artwork-iTunes-Guide

If Windows (or a shorter less glamourous way in MAC):
then just take each album grouping (you say you have a hundred files, then sort them by date added; they'll likely be in album groups then, as each album song was ripped within minutes of each other) and highlight the, say, ten songs and right click "get info" and add artist and album name (to the group of songs highlighted, needs to be done only once).  Way easier than adding song names, which you already have, which would require no grouping, would need to be individualized.