Bryston and Kimber 8TC?

headshrinker2

Bryston and Kimber 8TC?
« on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:17 am »
Evening all,
I'm being offered a pair of lightly used Kimber 8TC biwire (new style) at a good price.  I'm aware that 8TC generally gets very good reviews. 

Are Bryston and 8TC a good match?  Any folks on the forum using 8TC in their system?

Thanks for all comments!

SoundGame

Re: Bryston and Kimber 8TC?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:31 am »
I use 4PR, which is in a different league altogether but the same family.  I've compared my cables to a few other brands and I really like Kimber.  It's neutral and is resistant to noise - good bang for the buck.  I believe that Kimber has got good synergy with Bryston and is good value for the money.  If you're getting a deal even better.  I've been shopping for a deal for sometime.

If you've got a lead into a store that supplies at a reasonable cost - share the wealth man.... :icon_lol:

johzel

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:37 am »
Using Kimber 8TC bi-wire in one of my two systems.  No complaints. In fact, I'd buy it again without hesitation. 

headshrinker2

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:44 am »
Thanks johzel,
Mind describing the system you are using the 8TC with?

Using Kimber 8TC bi-wire in one of my two systems.  No complaints. In fact, I'd buy it again without hesitation.

headshrinker2

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2011, 01:49 pm »
Thanks Soundgame.  I will report back to the forum after the 8TC arrives. 

I use 4PR, which is in a different league altogether but the same family.  I've compared my cables to a few other brands and I really like Kimber.  It's neutral and is resistant to noise - good bang for the buck.  I believe that Kimber has got good synergy with Bryston and is good value for the money.  If you're getting a deal even better.  I've been shopping for a deal for sometime.

If you've got a lead into a store that supplies at a reasonable cost - share the wealth man.... :icon_lol:

SoundGame

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2011, 03:03 pm »
Thanks Soundgame.  I will report back to the forum after the 8TC arrives.

Hey headshrinker - just took a look at your system.  Interestingly enough, my IC between my pre and power is an AudioQuest Diamondback - I see you use King Cobras as well as Kimber Hero's.  Could you share the difference you find in the AudioQuest vs. the King Cobras with Bryston gear.  I've been considering moving up the the AQ King Cobra or moving to the Hero's and going to the 8TC as you have.  Similar path.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2011, 04:06 pm »
I use Kimber 8TC biwired (two full sets of 8TC, not internal biwire)from Bryston 4B-SST2 to my Magnepan 3.6s The amp end uses WBT spades, and the speaker end I just use the WBT inner crimp barrels without the outer WBT body.

bacobits1

• I spilled my fruitloops
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2011, 04:54 pm »
I don't have Bryston, but I have used 8TC for a long time since the 90's. Used on a lot of different amps and speakers. Always very good. I don't think you can go wrong with the stuff.

Caution on purchasing from the Far East in particular and on E Bay. There are too many fakes out there. If it is too good to be true $$ it not the real stuff. Usually on finished Kimber the shrink at the treminiations is printed KIMBER (watch the type used). There is one on Audiogon right now from the East that is not printed, CAUTION.

There is a 20ft. piece FS  on Audiogon for $220 un-terminated. Not a bad price, seller "badgirl" has good feedback, but I would contact one of her favorable buyers in her feedback list and see what they say. She sells a lot of cable. I have seen the Kimber come up there before.

D

headshrinker2

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2011, 05:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I hear you about taking caution when buying cables from the internet.  In fact, I found myself doing a bunch of reading about this earlier this morning. 

I don't have Bryston, but I have used 8TC for a long time since the 90's. Used on a lot of different amps and speakers. Always very good. I don't think you can go wrong with the stuff.

Caution on purchasing from the Far East in particular and on E Bay. There are too many fakes out there. If it is too good to be true $$ it not the real stuff. Usually on finished Kimber the shrink at the treminiations is printed KIMBER (watch the type used). There is one on Audiogon right now from the East that is not printed, CAUTION.

There is a 20ft. piece FS  on Audiogon for $220 un-terminated. Not a bad price, seller "badgirl" has good feedback, but I would contact one of her favorable buyers in her feedback list and see what they say. She sells a lot of cable. I have seen the Kimber come up there before.

D

johzel

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2011, 10:33 pm »
Thanks johzel,
Mind describing the system you are using the 8TC with?

Sure, Wyred 4 Sound DAC1, Oppo 83 player, Belles Reference 150A amp, LSA1 Statement monitor speakers, REL T-7 subwoofer.

headshrinker2

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2011, 03:31 pm »
Hey Soundgame,
Great minds think alike!  I haven't much time to play and compare the King Cobra and Hero.  Will report back...

Hey headshrinker - just took a look at your system.  Interestingly enough, my IC between my pre and power is an AudioQuest Diamondback - I see you use King Cobras as well as Kimber Hero's.  Could you share the difference you find in the AudioQuest vs. the King Cobras with Bryston gear.  I've been considering moving up the the AQ King Cobra or moving to the Hero's and going to the 8TC as you have.  Similar path.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2011, 03:38 pm »
The quantity of Kimber cables being sold by the Audiogon seller named "Badgirl" is way more than any normal seller could possibly sell. The cables she is selling are either fakes, or some other strange thing.
I have actually emailed Ray Kimber about her and the stuff she is selling.
Another point, a comment about all the Kimber Hero cables for sale on Audiogon raises the question if that particular cable is being faked. Every day brand new Hero are being hawked on Audiogon, still in the plastic cases. Really too good to be true IMO.
A few sellers have five or six sets for sale.. and they all are one meter.. Just a warning.
I am not claiming that Badgirl IS selling fakes, nor that any other sellers are, but the sales do not add up...

jjc1

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2011, 04:07 pm »
Evening all,
I'm being offered a pair of lightly used Kimber 8TC biwire (new style) at a good price.  I'm aware that 8TC generally gets very good reviews. 

Are Bryston and 8TC a good match?  Any folks on the forum using 8TC in their system?

Thanks for all comments!
I have been using the 8TC for almost 9 years from a Cary SLI80 bi-wired to ProAc d15s. Never feel that I have to change for others but will probably upgrade when I upgrade the speakers.  As far as Kimber with Bryston, I have my BDA1 and BDP1 connected with Kimber Orchid balanced aes/ebu and the BDA1 to the Cary via Kimber Hero. I also connect my Nova Phenomena phono pre amp via Kimber Hero.  All of this sounds great and would highly reccomen Kimber products.

headshrinker2

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2011, 08:33 pm »
Thanks jjc1.  Sounds like you like what you are hearing.  I appreciate the details in your reply.

I have been using the 8TC for almost 9 years from a Cary SLI80 bi-wired to ProAc d15s. Never feel that I have to change for others but will probably upgrade when I upgrade the speakers.  As far as Kimber with Bryston, I have my BDA1 and BDP1 connected with Kimber Orchid balanced aes/ebu and the BDA1 to the Cary via Kimber Hero. I also connect my Nova Phenomena phono pre amp via Kimber Hero.  All of this sounds great and would highly reccomen Kimber products.

rbbert

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2011, 02:23 am »
I use Kimber 8TC bi-wired Bryston 4B-ST to VMPS RM-40's.