Rca anx Xlr caps

Deftone

Rca anx Xlr caps
« on: 21 Jul 2011, 01:30 pm »
Anyone use them?What are the benefits beside keeping out the dust on this connectors.

SoundGame

Re: Rca anx Xlr caps
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2011, 01:36 pm »
Anyone use them?What are the benefits beside keeping out the dust on this connectors.

Other than avoiding stray wire shorts and the like, they are supposed to help reduce electronic EM / RFI that could be possible picked up but if the product is designed properly I would think that interference / signal on a non-selected input/output channel would not impart noise on the source channel or the pre-amp stage.  My thoughts are that they are over-rated and would not make any siginificant / if at all noticeble improvement.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2011, 01:47 pm »
I dont use them. 

Actually you don't need them caps. The inputs were all disconnected when not being used.

Try capping all these.  You will notice that your wallet will be slightly lighter.   :lol:

SoundGame

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2011, 01:51 pm »
I dont use them. 

Actually you don't need them caps. The inputs were all disconnected when not being used.

Try capping all these.  You will notice that your wallet will be slightly lighter.   :lol:

If I wanted to cap all those - I'd be using either masking tape or 2L pop bottle plastic caps.. :icon_lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2011, 01:56 pm »
I bought one hundred RCA caps for my setup.
I filled up every empty RCA on everything (except the receiver, which will need another 80!!!) (I might buy the few balanced caps i would need too..)
The result is a slightly blacker audio background, even a better, smoother finish on the plasma picture.(yes I capped the unused RCA in the Plasma back)
It is hearable. I have a lot of stuff, so the number of caps is high, and worth it IMO.
I bought my gold plated copper caps from a store on eBay. They are 20 caps for $15. and just as well made as the overpriced Cardas caps, so my 100 RCA caps cost me $75. plus shipping of $8. (instead of $450. for the Cardas.) I still want to buy the 80 it would take to cover all the RCA on the back of the receiver!)

For the real cheapskate: use aluminum Kitchen foil, and tear off little strips, wrap the RCAs with the foil. Works

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2011, 02:25 pm »
Cool, sounds good.

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2011, 03:17 pm »
Ha ha ha!  :lol:

Agreed!  :thumb:

If I wanted to cap all those - I'd be using either masking tape or 2L pop bottle plastic caps.. :icon_lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2011, 04:31 pm »
I would guess this thread is headed to the same ol':
"All wires are the same" vs "wires sound different" Hellhole of arguing over whether stuff can make a difference, or not.  :nono:
 Too bad.
 :deadhorse:
Added: we all ALREADY KNOW many do not 'believe' as a matter of fact, so why do those folks always need to stick the trash talk into every post involving folks who are interested?
Is it just the need to stir up crap? Or do they actually believe they are spreading the "gospel of no difference" to the fallen?
Either way, like over at AA, the posters who just are getting thier two cents of trash talk in should be cautioned.

SoundGame

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2011, 06:46 pm »
I would guess this thread is headed to the same ol':
"All wires are the same" vs "wires sound different" Hellhole of arguing over whether stuff can make a difference, or not.  :nono:
 Too bad.
 :deadhorse:
Added: we all ALREADY KNOW many do not 'believe' as a matter of fact, so why do those folks always need to stick the trash talk into every post involving folks who are interested?
Is it just the need to stir up crap? Or do they actually believe they are spreading the "gospel of no difference" to the fallen?
Either way, like over at AA, the posters who just are getting thier two cents of trash talk in should be cautioned.

Hey there Elizabeth - I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you sharing your experience and your positive results.  I personally may try the caps - at sometime time and if I do get results I'll be sure to report back.  Hey, in this hobby anything that squeezes a little more realism out of a system I'm willing to go for, as long as the benefit outweighs the cost and effort. :eyebrows:

Though stepping back - it's only us audiophiles that go to such measures.  Anyone outside of the audio hobby would think some of the things we try are absolutely nuts.  That's where the humour comes in - we do the crazy things because we love the hobby and the quest for the best but (most of us) are sane enough that we recognize out tactics sometimes would have non-enthusiasts think us eccentric if not insane... Wink2

Cheers.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:41 pm »
Hi Deftone : I use them and my experience would echo Elizabeth's. It's not a night & day difference but tweaks seldom are. If you want a big step forward, that costs.
This thread would benefit from more opinion formed through actual experience and less conjecture and parroting of received wisdom. But what the hey, right?

D.D. 

srb

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:46 pm »
This thread would benefit from more opinion formed through actual experience and less conjecture and parroting of received wisdom.

I tried them on the RCAs of a quality integrated amp and heard no difference.  Maybe the input buffers were better designed than on some other amps.

Steve

SoundGame

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2011, 07:51 pm »
Here's a DIY (cheap) method of apparently getting to the same place (found this on another site's thread):

if you want to experiment, you can simply cut the ends of of any inexpensive patch cords you have around. Leave enough wire so you can strip off the insulation and twist the inner wires together. Voila! Instant shorting plugs. If you get positive results, then you can figure out a more elegant way of doing it.

Note that shorting plugs are different then just caps but to go the cap route you would just not twist the wires together but rather just cut the wire off and tape the end.

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:32 am »
I love snake oil.  They sure work for some.  :lol:

Those caps may work if your receiver were not designed properly.  Bryston receivers have crosstalk ?  Hmmm...highly unlikely.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:38 am »
Bryston has receivers ? Also unlikely. :wink:

D.D.

Levi

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:39 am »
;)

Bryston has receivers ? Also unlikely. :wink:

D.D.

alinto

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2011, 04:37 am »
I have bought cardas xlr and rca caps for my system.  After putting them on , i found that the background was quieter allowing me to hear the musical details better. For me , it was worth the couple of hundred dollar investment.