Weird?

revrob

Weird?
« on: 19 Jul 2011, 02:23 pm »
I had something strange happen. I bought some new speaker wire for my HT3. The previous wire connection was bare wire which I connected to the top binding post of the HT3.

The new cables have spades so I decided to connect them to the bottom binding posts. Turn on the system and there is hardly no bottom end or fullness to the sound. It sounded worst then a Bose system and that is saying a lot. No rich fullness of sound.

Decided to make sure even thing was wired correctly and in phase. No problem. Looks like I will be retunring these cables (24 feet in length).

Then I decided to reconnect the spades to the top binding post and boom, "there it is." All the richness and full sound that I am used to.

Jim / Dennis, I am a little confused why this would happen. This was not a subtle change in sound but a dramatic one. The only thing I did was change where the spades were connected from the bottom post to the top one.

Anyone want to try to explain I am all ears. Thank God I have great sound again.

Steve

Nuance

Re: Weird?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2011, 03:18 pm »
Are the jumpers connected correctly on the HT3's?
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2011, 07:31 pm by Nuance »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2011, 03:27 pm »
Sounds like your speakers dont have the jumpers across the terminals?

My Songtowers will exhibit the same thing but mine are bi-wired, not bi-amped.

I remove the jumpers but have wires in the top and bottom jacks.

If I dont bi-wire I have to put the jumpers back or you get no low end or fullness...kind of indicates your speakers internals are working as designed..

Alex

revrob

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2011, 04:34 pm »
Everything was connected correctly. I am a stickler for things like that especially when I am changing wires. The problem was with both speakers not one so I am at a lost. Anyway I have great sound again.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2011, 05:00 pm »
revbob, if you have jumpers across the two sets of speaker banana jacks then I would call jim and ask him about this.

Maybe there is a wiring issue from the get go...but I know Jim tests these things before the leave the magic factory...

Give him a call or email.
Alex

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2011, 05:05 pm »
I think it is a physical impossibility for you to lose frequency response by switching terminals if the jumpers are correctly installed.  The electrons can't know which terminals you're using if they're connected together.  It can't be an internal wiring problem, because the issue would arise no matter which terminal you used.   It sounds like you heard a huge difference, so I have to assume something was going on.  But it would have to be with the jumpers. 

revrob

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2011, 05:28 pm »
Thanks Dennis. It was very unusual so it may have been something was not connected correctly. Most likely operator error as I never had a problem before.

I still love my speakers and all is well.

Thanks.

yo2tup

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2011, 06:11 pm »
Why not try reconnecting them to the bottom binding posts again to see if it was indeed operator error the first time?

I think this is the second time someone in this forum reported different sound quality between the two binding posts and being baffled by it.

martyo

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2011, 06:26 pm »
Why not try reconnecting them to the bottom binding posts again to see if it was indeed operator error the first time?

I think this is the second time someone in this forum reported different sound quality between the two binding posts and being baffled by it.

Sure it isn't the third time?

yo2tup

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2011, 06:27 pm »
perhaps  :scratch:

markie

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2011, 07:28 pm »
I think it is a physical impossibility for you to lose frequency response by switching terminals if the jumpers are correctly installed.  The electrons can't know which terminals you're using if they're connected together.  It can't be an internal wiring problem, because the issue would arise no matter which terminal you used.   It sounds like you heard a huge difference, so I have to assume something was going on.  But it would have to be with the jumpers.

Those humble electrons are underrated. They know more than we give them credit for.  Even looking at a lightning bolt zig zagging across they sky shows they are very picky about where they go.  :P

Is there such a thing as a directional jumper? Assuming it wasn't user error, it would be interesting to switch the direction of the jumpers and see what happens.

Mark

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2011, 07:58 pm »

I remember someone reporting a difference before, but I don't remember the reported differences being as dramatic as the OP has described.  The OP seems to be indictating that it's not just one way sounds a little better than the other, but that something is wrong when hooked up to the bottom posts.

I would be interesting to find out what is going on with the OP's speakers/connections.  Perhaps when he changed the connections from the top posts to the bottom posts he forgot to retighten the top posts?

ccotenj

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2011, 10:33 pm »

Is there such a thing as a directional jumper? Assuming it wasn't user error, it would be interesting to switch the direction of the jumpers and see what happens.

Mark

"directional jumper"??   ummm....   no...   

markie

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2011, 11:51 pm »
Ok, Ok, I admit to having a bit of fun. :D   But some interconnects and cables are labeled directional, albeit I doubt the direction makes much difference.

Will Steve be content to listen to his wonderful speakers  ....  or will he sacrifice that for a while and probe the potential mysteries of the universe and get to the bottom of what really happened when the sound went wrong,  so we won't be left hanging, ever wondering ....  :lol:

Mark

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:22 am »
Those humble electrons are underrated. They know more than we give them credit for.  Even looking at a lightning bolt zig zagging across they sky shows they are very picky about where they go.  :P

Mark

I think I better refrain from further posts.  Next thing you know, people are going to start reporting that they heard differences in capacitors.  Or even amplifiers.  This is a very slippery slope. 

rave959

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:29 am »
I think I better refrain from further posts.  Next thing you know, people are going to start reporting that they heard differences in capacitors.  Or even amplifiers.  This is a very slippery slope.

I absolutely agree.    :thumb:

Happy listening!

Ian

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 20 Jul 2011, 01:44 am »
Hi Dennis!!

Did you hear any differences using an Ipad for a controller at the DC show??

lol...

Alex
  :D
(ps nice meeting you!!)

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #17 on: 20 Jul 2011, 02:21 am »
Hi Dennis!!

Did you hear any differences using an Ipad for a controller at the DC show??
lol...
Alex
  :D
(ps nice meeting you!!)

Yes.  Absolutely.  I kept setting off the wrong cut.  "Keith Don't Go" definitely sounds different than the 1812 Overture.   It really does.    Good to meet you as well. 

markie

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jul 2011, 03:58 am »
Next thing you know, people are going to start reporting that they heard differences in capacitors.  Or even amplifiers. 

Heaven forbid, lol!
This is a very slippery slope.
Clearly a pun coming from a crossover designer, good one!
Slippery slopes of the fourth order are the most fun, because of course they are the steepest ....
Mark

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jul 2011, 12:30 pm »

Heaven forbid, lol!Clearly a pun coming from a crossover designer, good one!
Slippery slopes of the fourth order are the most fun, because of course they are the steepest ....
Mark

LOL - nice!