RM30's sound amazing right now

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« on: 13 Apr 2004, 01:19 am »
Well, it's been a week with the RM30 Signatures, and they sound absolutely stunning with very modest anciliary equipment.  At lower SPL's the RM30's sound comparable to the quality of the RM/X.  Congratulations  Brian on a wonderful compact floorstanding speaker - I am still amazed at the sound this system is producing.  If anybody is interested in scheduling an appointment to audition, we're currently accepting dates after the 30th.

Regards,

brj

Re: RM30's sound amazing right now
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2004, 01:48 am »
Quote from: rkapadia@ROOP
Well, it's been a week with the RM30 Signatures, and they sound absolutely stunning with very modest anciliary equipment.

I take it that "signature" appellation indicates an upgrade of some kind from the "stock" RM30's.  Can you list the extent of these upgrades?  I thought everything was built into the RM30's except for upgraded laminates and upgraded capacitors (Auricaps or TRT Dynamicaps).

Thanks!

guest1121

Auditions
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2004, 03:29 am »
Where exactly are you located in NYC?  I will be up there in May and may be interested in an audition.  You can email me your location if you would prefer a less public reply.

I'm also interested in what makes your RM-30s "signatures" as opposed to stock RM-30s.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2004, 12:36 pm »
I assume it's probably TRT caps, woofer upgrades (if any) and perhaps wire upgrades (Analysis Silver).  

I won't be there, because since I'm ordering the RM-40s, I'd hate to have the RM-30s sound as good, as then I'd be in a quandry:  I like the size and looks of the RM-30s better, but I want the better bass of the RM-40s.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2004, 01:47 pm »
Sorry to slight off topic, but for me the advantage of the RM40's is more than just the bass.   Its also the height.  I like to walk around the house while listening, and seeing as I am not all that tall the RM40's work for me fairly well standing up as well.    However, the size, looks and narrow baffle of the RM30's is quite attractive.

I'm waiting to see an RM60!

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2004, 02:34 pm »
Good point, and this is another reason why I'm buying the RM-40s instead of the RM-30s, but I also don't currently have a Significant Other to veto the RM-40s.  So, I can buy what I want (and when I do find someone, she'll have to take me "as is", including my speakers!).

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2004, 03:06 pm »
Roop,

Do have the 215 sub with it or just the RM-30 m????

If hooking up to a sub what is your impression and which sub???j

Yes, there is a woofer upgrade to the RM-30 and Brian can talk about that.

Larry

p.s. I think the Signiture is the TRT upgrade,Silver Analysis wire and A "real" signiture by Brian himself on the back of the speaker. If I am leaving anything out Roop or John will jump in.

maxwalrath

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2004, 03:15 pm »
From John Casler...

"This package was assembled for the RM40s but can be ordered with other VMPS ribbon Speakers.

The BCSE package consist of:

* FST tweeter upgrade ($400 value)
* TRT cap upgrade ($1200 value)
* Analysis Silver wiring upgrade ($400 value)
* Cabinet upgrade (includes higher density fiberboard, more and upgraded bracing, and Soundcoat) ($250 value)
* crossover upgrade where applicable ($50)
* Premium Finish upgrade of your choice ($400)
* Each cabinet is "signed" on the back by Big B.  (Priceless  )

The package purchased ala carte would cost around $2700

As a package it is $1999..."

HarleyMYK

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2004, 03:33 pm »
Rupesh,

Which finish did you get?  Any pictures?

Thanks!

brj

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:26 pm »
Quote from: maxwalrath
The BCSE package consist of:

* FST tweeter upgrade ($400 value)
* Cabinet upgrade (includes higher density fiberboard, more and upgraded bracing, and Soundcoat) ($250 value)
* crossover upgrade where applicable ($50)
* Each cabinet is "signed" on the ...

So for the RM30's, the Brian Cheney Signature Edition reduces to:

Correct?

Is there a "package price" for this reduced set of options?

The Analysis Plus silver wire upgrade is just for the woofers, isn't it?

Thanks!

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2004, 07:07 pm »
Quote from: brj
So for the RM30's, the Brian Cheney Signature Edition reduces to:

Correct?

Is there a "package price" for this reduced set of options?

The Analysis Plus silver wire upgrade is just for the woofers, isn't it?

Thanks!

Actually, I put together the BCSE exclusively for the MLS RM40, but to be adapted for the other speakers. (I'm not sure if Big B has agreed to a "signed" designator on the back yet :D although I like the idea)

The RM30 currently doesn't have that package designation (BCSE) since as noted, it already has "some" of the package as standard, but then again the finish upgrades (example Rosewood @ $800) might not fit directly into the formula, as might the new 6.5" "megawoofers"

So in the case of the RM30 (or some of the non-MLS based speakers) the package may have to be adjusted.

I beleive Roop's designation is essentially the same, but he might clairify.

In a "nutshell" the BCSE is meant to be a "fully loaded" version of any speaker with the highest options selected.

Contact your dealer for "specific" pricing details

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2004, 10:41 pm »
Hello all,

To clarify some issues:

brj and Scott-C - the word "Signature" is basically a term I use to describe the full set of available performance-related options as have been mentioned in the other posts within this thread.  While the Megawoofers have been preordered for these RM30, they will be retrofit at a later date as the actual Megawoofers for the RM30 are not yet available.

Scott-C - please see www.roopaudiolabs.com/contact.asp for our location and contact information.  Feel free to call if you need directions or have any other concerns.

HarleyMYK - I chose to go with the full wrap light oak finish, to increase the number of different finishes on display within the studio.  Photos will be available at month's end when the photographer comes to shoot the entire studio.  I was very tempted to go with the sleek black lacquer finish of the RMX, but am very pleased with the level of fit and finish of these RM30.

ctviggen- check your mail ;).

lkosova - there is no subwoofer system paired with the RM30.  From the very beginning we planned to setup the RM30 near a corner room boundary and did not want to overload the bass response by adding a subwoofer.  Right out of the box the RM30 bass extention is deep, with that satisfying tightness and clarity that has become synonomous with a correctly setup VMPS system.  

In a smaller room, these smaller floorstanders give up nothing to their larger siblings.  For those of you who've experienced the magic of the 626R, the RM30 definitely has the same special magic.  I have a feeling a lot of AP Virgo owners will be making a speaker system switch in the *very* near future.

Regards,

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2004, 03:31 pm »
Hi Rupesh,

I'll be gone the next two days moving into my "new" (new to me) house, and I won't be reachable for probably at least a day or so after that.  However, I'll check my email when I can and/or you can call me at work on Monday to finalize everything.  

Thanks, and I probably will come listen to the RM-30s one day, as I'm in NYC often enough to do so.