Chime DAC problem

fandersen

Chime DAC problem
« on: 19 Jul 2011, 05:20 am »
Now that I got the voltages straightened out, I can't get the DAC working.

It is my understanding that all the LEDs should be red when the chime is turned on. On mine, only the center one is red, and it turns green as expected. The front ones don't light up at all.

I measured the voltage at R441 & R443 and I get 8v. However I noticed the schematic shows 6k8 for R441 but I installed 10k as per the parts list. I suspect that may prevent the LEDs from turning green, but I would expect them to at least start out red.

I confirmed that the selector is working correctly, i.e. measured resistance between C415/C416 and pin 2 of J402.

I'm now wondering if the HagDac is the problem. Anyway to check it?

Flemming

fandersen

Re: Chime DAC problem
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2011, 05:41 am »
I should add that the left front LED does flash green when the Chime is turned on, but then stays off.

Flemming

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:18 am »
I see I have been using R441 as 10k.  The front LEDs are not red? 

jh

fandersen

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:27 pm »
I solved the problem yesterday. Even though Dan suggested tapping into the HagDac power across R411 for my Toslink interface, I connected it across -8V R412 and +8V R411 :duh: Once I corrected this stupid error, LEDs started working as designed, and the Chime played music  :thumb:

I must say the sound is fabulous and I haven't correct the heater voltage yet (currently at 5.75V). Also the Mundorf coupling caps with Russian teflon bypass are not broken in yet. I expect the sound to just keep getting better :D