what is up with stax tonearms

beat

« on: 12 Apr 2004, 11:35 pm »
Hey all,
I have a chance to pick up a thorens 125mk2 with a nos stax tonearm which appears to be decent function wise. Never heard of it though. I think it is a ua7 or something close to that...made in japan..he wants 150.00 unassembled. Whatcha think?

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2004, 08:37 pm »
Never heard of it, but this link came up--

http://www.stax.co.jp/OLD/Photo/Ua7.jpg

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2004, 08:38 pm »
neither have I, sorry can't help you.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2004, 09:15 pm »
I've still never heard of it , but there's SOME archived material on rec.audio.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=stax+tonearm&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=9cml3h02q6l%40news1.newsguy.com&rnum=12

Interestingly, Kal Rubinson of Stereophile posted some years ago that he was looking for a Stax.

beat

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:33 am »
thanks guys,
I guess it really isnt that much money overall.... And because it is a thorens I could sell it in a heart beat if I wanted to unload it...I may as well give it a shot and see if there is anything to offer. Surely it will out do my philips rig anyway. My ambition to finish my diy fat acrylic platter type has dwindled to near nothing. Hey Tonto, PM your addy so I can send you out some of the coffee I'm roasting!!

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2004, 11:38 am »
The $150 is for arm AND table????  I thought you were talking $150 just for the arm.

DickBowman

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2004, 02:43 pm »
The Stax UA7 was highly thought of in the vinyl-only days (about 20 years ago?).  Available with metal or carbon fibre arms (both arm and headshell had plug/socket fittings).  It was much more substantial than the then-current SME 3009, contemporary with things like the Fidelity Research arms - predated the "rigidity-is-everything" movement - but was/is pretty solid for all that.  Generally thought suitable for the then-energing wave of MCs.

beat

« Reply #7 on: 15 Apr 2004, 05:03 pm »
Thanks again guys,
yes 150 for arm and table..I'm just gonna go grab it on the way home..
I'll keep ya posted.

colitas

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2004, 06:45 am »
Is this the same stax that makes those fancy headphones(elelctostats)?

sharper

« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2004, 07:38 pm »
beat,
       This may be too late but I have a Stax UA-9. From my experience and that of other owners I have corresponded with, I think the Stax arms are very good and still competitive. The UA-9 came with my LP-12 which I bought 2nd hand. I replaced it with the new Akito...thinking that the new Akito would be a better match...and that the Stax was just some old, mediocre arm. Well, it's not. The Akito wasn't / isn't as good as the Stax IMO (with the Clearaudio Virtuoso MM (which I miss) and Benz Woodbody M2 cartridges I was using). With a carbon fibre arm tube, silver wiring, etc. I think it would be a good buy.

Scott

beat

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2004, 04:47 pm »
Thanks scott,
that is encouraging. I finally got it set up and it really does blow away what I've heard before (which isnt a whole lot really but enough to know where value is) I just did a search on ebay and found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48648&item=3094421588&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

it didnt sell for what he was asking but apparently someone out there is proud of theirs. I guess I did ok for 150!! Including the thorens table, bubble level, audio technica leveling pads, a little denon center weight, a NOS german carbon fiber brush, all original manuals and protractors, and last but not least, the Platter Pad (1/4 inch slab of gummy rubber) :dance: