Rack Placement?

headshrinker2

Rack Placement?
« on: 16 Jul 2011, 07:45 pm »
Any suggestions on optimal component placement for the following system?  I am currently using a metal Target 4-shelf audio rack.  It was graciously given to me by an audio friend a few years back.  My system is as follows:

NAD C541 CDP
Apple TV(2)
MacBook Pro Laptop

BDA-1 DAC
BP25 Pre
4BSST Amp

Is it ever ok to stack any of this stuff?  Should certain pieces be far away from other pieces?  While the 4BSST runs cool, I assume this gets as much space to itself as possible.   look forward to your comments!

srb

Re: Rack Placement?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2011, 08:25 pm »
Having an open rack gives you a cooling advantage over enclosed cabinets to start with.  Even though relatively cool running for an amplifier, the 4BSST produces the most heat of any of your components.

In theory the amplifier would ideally be located on the top shelf without a shelf above it for maximum convection heat dissipation.  In practice, most locate it on the bottom shelf probably mostly for low center of gravity rack stability.  Some racks have a taller shelf spacing on the bottom shelf where they expect the amplifier will go.  I would locate it on whichever shelf has the maxium height spacing, 2" to 4" clearance being desireable.

As far as stacking components, it can be done, although some source components and preamps will have a hotspot if it has a linear (inefficient) power supply.  When you do stack components, it's often good practice to add an additional 3/4" to 1-1/2" spacer, space permitting.  It doesn't have to something exotic, but anything from 1-1/2"D X 1"H laboratory stoppers to the ubiquitous 2" X 2" X 7/8"H rubber/cork sandwich vibration pads will do.  Not wanting to because the clean look is ruined is understandable, but do feel around on the bottom and top of each enclosure to see if you have some hotter areas.

Another benefit to spacers is a little extra distance from another component's power transformer.  I would also be careful not to stack something on a disc player to avoid any physical weight or torsion distortion on a drive mechanism.  If you stack a disc player, always stack it on top of something else, not something on top of it.

Steve

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2011, 10:23 pm »
I would also be careful not to stack something on a disc player to avoid any physical weight or torsion distortion on a drive mechanism.  If you stack a disc player, always stack it on top of something else, not something on top of it.

Steve

Nonsense. I stack the BP6 preamp on top of the Onkyo cd player. No problems whatsoever. I imagine it's because the BP6 isn't particularly heavy.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2011, 11:42 pm »
Nonsense. I stack the BP6 preamp on top of the Onkyo cd player. No problems whatsoever. I imagine it's because the BP6 isn't particularly heavy.

Sure it will depend on the robustness of the disc player chassis and the weight of the component on top of it, but in general it is more common sense than nonsense.

Steve

vegasdave

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2011, 12:50 am »
Well, not nonsense, that was too harsh. My apologies. But, most well built cd players can handle something placed on top of them. That's my experience.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2011, 01:51 am »
James has said in the past that if you're going to stack the preamp and power supply unit, put the power supply on top of the preamp.  Something about interference.  Not wanting to put words in his mouth, I'll defer on that explanation.

As far as locating the rack, keep it out from between the speakers if at all possible.  Stuff between speakers throws off imaging and soundstaging.  I have no choice but to have my TV and support (with components in it) between my speakers.  When I first moved in (before the TV stand was set up), I had the components on the bare hardwood floor, unstacked.  Putting the TV between the speakers made a dramatic difference, and for the worst.  It still sounds great, but it sucks that I know it could be far better.

If you have the option of nothing between the speakers, take full advantage of it.  That did far more than just about anything else I've done.  No tweak, footer, etc. came close.  Just my experience.

PS - I could throw a heavy blanket over the TV during listening, but I'm too lazy.  I've tried it and it was the next best thing to having nothing between the speakers, but laziness gets the best of me sometimes.

PPS - I also have the stereo hooked up to the TV, so having the TV there isn't a total loss.

SoundGame

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2011, 04:16 am »

PS - I could throw a heavy blanket over the TV during listening, but I'm too lazy.  I've tried it and it was the next best thing to having nothing between the speakers, but laziness gets the best of me sometimes.

Stu - if possible, can you mount a curtain rod to the ceiling just in front of the rack and then hand some heavy velvet curtains, which you could just draw closed to cover the TV when you're doing TV listening?  I've thought about doing this myself bu haven yet tried.

Deftone

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2011, 02:41 pm »
Stu - if possible, can you mount a curtain rod to the ceiling just in front of the rack and then hand some heavy velvet curtains, which you could just draw closed to cover the TV when you're doing TV listening?  I've thought about doing this myself bu haven yet tried.

Good idea. Never really thought about that.Normally i will just cover the tv which is in between the two speakers with a heavy blanket everytime i wanna have my music listening session.It work wonders. Better soundstage.

headshrinker2

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2011, 03:44 pm »
Thanks very much for the suggestions everyone.  I love the look of the silver Bryston gear on the audio rack.  I'm not sure why, but I especially like looking at the 4BSST.

My open rack is sitting in between the speakers at this time.  This is a dedicated 2-channel system in my basement, so there is no TV in between.  I haven't experimented to see if nothing in between would be sonically better.

Right now I have a single component on each of the 4 shelves on my audio rack.  The shelves are evenly spaced.  I currently have the 4BSST sitting on the top shelf.  I'm pretty sure I will be moving my pre-amp and CDP to the top shelves for convenience sake.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2011, 05:27 pm »

Not a bad idea at all.  Unfortunately (in this regard only), I am married.

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2011, 05:30 pm »
As far as locating the rack, keep it out from between the speakers if at all possible.

I agree. I only have the 4BSST between the speakers.

brucek

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2011, 06:55 pm »

Actually the speakers should forward of the rack so that the soundstage doesn't have a rack to deal with.
It doesn't have to be much of a distance.

vegasdave

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2011, 07:03 pm »
No man, I've got the rack at the listening position. Amp between the speakers. I run long interconnects (from preamp to amp) and short speaker wire per Bryston's recommendation.

The BP6 can easily drive long interconnects. Just ask James.

headshrinker2

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2011, 07:34 pm »
vegasdave,
You got a pic of your system/set-up?  I'd appreciate seeing.

vegasdave

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2011, 07:45 pm »
vegasdave,
You got a pic of your system/set-up?  I'd appreciate seeing.

Sorry, not at the moment. And I need to take photos in case my stuff gets stolen. I keep forgetting to get a disposable camera or 2!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2011, 08:05 pm »
Actually the speakers should forward of the rack so that the soundstage doesn't have a rack to deal with.
It doesn't have to be much of a distance.

I've tried that.  It helps a little, but it's no where near as good as having the space empty.  There's still a lot of surfaces for the soundwaves to bounce off of.  Take the rack out, and you'll get more soundstage depth and the center image will be clearer.

Wish I could practice what I'm preaching. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2011, 10:14 pm »
I have found that the rack off to the side is the best sound. The rack also has far less vibration from the speakers with the rack away from the speakers.
My Magnepan 3.6 are about 3 feet from the back wall. I have my Bryston 4B-SST2 between them on bottle stoppers (on a concrete patio slab up on tiptoes), but back a bit. (I also have a very low open frame reclining leather chair in front of the amp.
The top of the back is low enough so the built in under window air conditioner slots are higher than the top back of the chair.
To the right wall I have a love seat, with three feet of space to the right speaker.

On the left wall, I have my plasma TV and video stuff (all on bottle stoppers) on a rack, (the Denon 4806 and Denon 5910 are on the bottom shelf of the video rack, and  several other items on top shelf) that rack too has about three feet of space from front of the left speaker. (a Furman REF20i sits on floor on tiptoes next to the Plazmaa rack)
(the video crosses the room short axis, and so does the video surround sound, while the audio is on the long axis. I have Canton 300 and Canton 360 speakers, no sub, for the video from a Denon 4806.).

Past the Plasma rack is the audio rack, and that is out into the room as a PS Audio P600 is at bottom on bottle stoppers, then a PS Audio PPP on top of that on more bottle stoppers power conditioners are located behind the audio rack, stacked, with another teak like board with  Sony SCD777ES on bottle stoppers ontop of the power regeneratoors!
The audio rack  is conveniently located so the volume and stuff is right at hand to my left, while seated in the listening recliner. I don't need the remote!

I have five shelves in my rack. The Rack is sand filled steel and tempered glass shelves clamped in place on the ends.
Bottom space has two Sony Changers, SCD333ES, and under that is a SCD555ES. The second shelf has a Behringer DEQ2496, with stacked on it  (with the rubber bottle stoppers, front has one, rear of ARC has one plus a longer cork stopper to reach down to shelf as the Behringer is not so deep) a Audio Research Sp-15 I use just for the tubed phono section. (the power supply for the ARC is behind and back on the TT stand)
The third shelf has a VAC Standard tube preamp I use just as a glorified tube buffer for all the digital. On top of that is the Bryston BP-26 preamp, with extra (ceramic) spacers (from dead Sony CD player). Directly on top of the Bryston BP-26 is the Bryston BP1.5 phono box.
The fourth shelf has tall spacers (two stacked bottle stoppers) then the BP-26 power supply. and on top of that is an Adcom GDA700 DAC. The top shelf has a TADAK DAC on bottle stoppers, and the Rudistor RPX33 mk2 headphone amp also on bottle stoppers.
One nice thing about having the rack away from the back wall is the ease of fiddling with the connections. It really IS easier to change wires.

My Two TTs are to the left of the audio rack on a TV type stand same as the plasma is on. So the TTs are over 12 feet away from the left speaker, and 15 away from the right one. And are shielded by the audio stand.
The TTs are on thick round patio blocks, which have a 1/4 inch pad they rest on, then on top of them for the Kuzma, are bottle stoppers, on top of which is a thick teak like Brazilian 18" by 18" wood floor sample under the brass pipe Kuzma. then for the Rega, I have  the patio blocks, with a VPI isolation base I got for free (25 plus years old) under the Rega P5
All of the solid butyl rubber bottle stoppers are size 10 which are 7/8 inch tall
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2011, 01:43 pm by Elizabeth »

headshrinker2

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2011, 12:20 am »
Sorry Elizabeth, that just wasn't detailed enough.  Thanks so much for taking the time for the thoughtful reply.  Greatly appreciated!

srb

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2011, 12:25 am »
Sorry Elizabeth, that just wasn't detailed enough.

That's what I was going to say but you beat me to it!  What are the heights of the various spacers?  If you're using the lab stoppers, most that I have seen are 1"H regardless of diameter.

Steve

headshrinker2

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul 2011, 01:28 am »
As some of you might remember, I greatly enjoyed an all Naim system before building my Bryston setup.  In the world of Naim (and possibly other worlds, as well), good supports/stands are considered a vital- if not crucial- part of the overall system.