Advice on stop-gap processor and 2ch amp

Will2

Advice on stop-gap processor and 2ch amp
« on: 16 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm »
Hi guys,

Before I get into the details, I'm looking for help pointing me to a great value-for-money stop-gap processor.  Now for the details.

I've got a system that I currently use to watch DVD/BlueRay and my kids play XBox and Wii on.  I have some great components in it (Parasound JC2 preamp - can add the HT-pypass option, Oppo BDP-83 and Pioneer KRP-600M) as I build for a final system for my new house that will be a full 5.1 system but right now I just use it with full-range L&R speakers.  I have a DVDO EDGE in the system acting as a processor (and I guess video enhancer) but it has developed a problem - the DVDO stops sending the video signal to the TV periodically and I need to reset it (by unplugging and replugging it in) about 3 or 4 times in a movie.  Needless to say my better half doesn't tolerate this while I'm away.  So - I'm thinking a stop-gap processor for the next 18 months is the answer.  I say stop-gap because I know how fast processors depreciate and I'd rather wait until the house is done before I buy my LT solution, which will probably be higher end.  My problem is I'm not familiar with processors and if I go on my own I know I'm likely to make a poor purchase.  The only thing I know is I'd like if possible is HDMI out so I only have to run one cable to my TV.

So - if anyone could point me in the direction of an appropriate used processor for sale either here or on AudiogoN - it would be much appreciated.  While I'm at it I'm also open to a receiver or 2ch amp to accompany the processor - but that isn't essential.

Cheers
Will

Phil A

Re: Advice on stop-gap processor and 2ch amp
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2011, 12:55 pm »
This one sold - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1314831437&/Integra-DTC-9.8-7.1-Multi-chan

I picked one up about 8 months back on my local Craigslist for $600.  They usually go for a bit more so I was lucky.  I was actually so impressed by it (I use it with a 2-channel preamp that has HT bypass), I went a bought a refurb Onkyo 1000 for the secondary basement system on accessories4less.com (that's a good place to look too)

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm »
Here's an example if you want a receiver and don't want to spend tons - says they have one left - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR7001/Marantz-Sr7001-Receiver-Thx-110w-X-7ch-Hdmi/1.html

You can also get an extended warranty through Warrentech through them

Will2

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2011, 01:28 pm »
Thanks Phil - just what I need - specific directions to a specific item for sale that you know would fit my needs well.  I'm going to wait for a day or two to see what some others come up with - hoping that I might get better bang for the buck used - but if not I'll go with your idea, thanks.  I know I'm taking the risk that this last one sells but that's a risk I'll have to take I guess.

Thanks again! 

WC

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2011, 01:39 am »
How much did you want to spend? Most of the major manufacturers of AVRs are clearing out last years models at reduced prices. I have seen NewEgg selling Yamaha's at reduced prices. Marantz is also clearing out last years models such as the SR5005 and SR6005, both of which can operate as processors.

Will2

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2011, 01:48 am »
I don't really know but I was expecting to be able to get a high quality older model processor for somewhere around $500-$750.  You think that's a reasonable expectation?

Will2

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2011, 02:05 am »
How would this stack up against the options presented so far?
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1316061833&/Anthem-AVM-20-huge-price-reduc

srb

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2011, 02:31 am »
How would this stack up against the options presented so far?
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1316061833&/Anthem-AVM-20-huge-price-reduc

Normally I would say that units like this will have far better quality and construction than newer less expensive units, and if you don't need the latest features they can be a great value at < 20% of the original cost.

However, in your case, because

(a) you stated that you would prefer HDMI and these only have component video and

(b) although this Anthem most likely has 2 channel performance superior to newer less expensive processors, you already have a fantastic 2 channel preamp which you are thinking of adding HT Bypass to,

I'm not sure this is your best avenue.  If you didn't want HDMI and were content with component video + audio connections and you didn't have a great 2 channel preamp, then I would say go for it.

Steve

Will2

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2011, 02:36 am »

Normally I would say that units like this will have far better quality and construction than newer less expensive units, and if you don't need the latest features they can be a great value at < 20% of the original cost.

However, in your case, because

(a) you stated that you would prefer HDMI and these only have component video and

(b) although this Anthem most likely has 2 channel performance superior to newer less expensive processors, you already have a fantastic 2 channel preamp which you are thinking of adding HT Bypass to,

I'm not sure this is your best avenue.  If you didn't want HDMI and were content with component video + audio connections and you didn't have a great 2 channel preamp, then I would say go for it.

Steve

Thanks Steve.  Maybe the best route is to sell the pre and move to something like this.  The pre is way too good for my current needs.