50-55 Plasma suggestions

mcgsxr

50-55 Plasma suggestions
« on: 16 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm »
Looks like my Hilton Head golf trip is falling apart for the fall.

Better reinvest that 2K quick, before my wife gets her hands on it!

Thinking of upgrading my 42 Panny Plasma in the main floor HT.  I will move that 720p piece up to the master bedroom, and put up a new TV.

I am seeing various 50-55 or so options locally, what do folks have that they love?

I do understand that LED and other options are good, but having lived with the plasma for around 2 years now, and my love of fast action sports (hockey and motorcycle racing as examples, golf might qualify with the swing!), I tend to expect I will go with a plasma again.

50 would be just big enough, and having seen my brothers 55 LED, and my best friends 60 plasma, I am thinking I should go a little larger, but the space will not allow for a 60 in my room.

Viewing distance is right around 11 feet or so.

Thoughts for around $2,000?  Being in Canada will mean that not all the awesome deals available in the US will be available to me, but will feed my research!

Not expecting to consider 3D for the record.

youravhandyman

Re: 50-55 Plasma suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2011, 03:31 pm »
Not sitting around my catalogs right now but my plasma favs these days are Panasonic and Samsung.  For the past 4 years I've been a Panasonic man but the Samsungs have grown on me for picture quality, style and value.
On the 3D topic, it's hard to avoid in the better displays.  You don't have to use it but the best of the plasma models will also be 3D capable.

Budget a little for a professional calibration and you will get the best out of whichever display you choose.

Feature benefit of the Samsung networkable displays is a free app for the iPhone/iPod touch and iPad to use your i device as a network remote.  This will require that the display is connected to your home network but is a cool free feature.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2011, 04:42 pm »
Hi Mark,

I researched the same thing in the US over the last couple of months.

After reading a ton and visiting several stores we ended up selecting the Panasonic TCP60GT30.

I was not looking for 3d but it just happens that most of the better displays I checked out offer it.

It is nice that the tv I selected happens to do 3d the right way from what I understand.

I have not invested in the glasses to try it yet.

The set is absolutely stunning at home.  It looked very good on the floor of the store but that is a very difficult setting to make many conclusions.

I am very picky with electronics and this is a real gem.

I downloaded some photo/break-in slides on a very technical video forum that I ran on the tv for a week before watching it.

At that point I loaded some settings that were provided by a video pro and I cannot believe my eyes.

It was worth waiting a week after getting the tv home.  It is a stunning display.

Seems to be a great value also.  I am not sure if you have the same or different models in Canada.

Also not sure on the pricing but this set can be had for about $2300 in the 60" model we went with.

I know Panasonic makes this in a 55" model also.  That is what I was originally interested in until my buddy asked if he wanted the pricing on the 60" model.

I understand the VT line is a tiny bit better but it is a step up in price.

Good luck,

Nick

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2011, 06:47 pm »
I bought a Samsung 50" 3D plasma last spring. I would have put the Panasonic into the mix but there were reports of the screens starting to lose contrast or darken after approximately 6 months. I am sure that has been rectified, but at the time I didn't want to risk the hassle. That said, I do think the Samsung is outstanding. it replaced a 07 42" 1080p LCD.

youravhandyman

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2011, 07:45 pm »
On Mike's topic of Panasonic losing contrast.  Yes they did have a problem which would cause a loss of dynamic range in the image since the blackest level wouldn't be so black.  Panasonic claims to have rectified this though they also put off admitting that it existed for 3 years.  Since they have access to the Pioneer Premier technology they really have no excuse for that.  I have been pleased with my current Panasonic that is now 3 model years old.  Guess I could calibrate it again to calculate if any contrast level has been lost. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2011, 12:49 am »
My wife has a Samsung 50" plasma.
Wonderful machine in every way. My highest recommendation.

Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2011, 04:10 pm »
After 6 months I tuned my Panny 42 with a set of parameters I found on another forum - not into the service menu etc, just the simple stuff.  Worth it.

Thanks for the tips guys, I will add those units to my tracking.  The Panny TCP55GT30 currently lists at $2300 here in Canada, but perhaps there will be movement on that price by Xmas.  The 60 is $3000.

I guess I should have been clearer - 3D capable is fine, but not looking to get glasses, 3D blue ray player and associated s/w etc.

bummrush

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2011, 04:22 pm »
Well my vote goes for Hitachi,i have a 42 inch ,clean clean picture,i,d buy again in a minute.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:04 pm »

I've had this Panasonic TC-P55ST30 3D Plasma now for a few weeks. It came with 2 pair of glasses and the Avatar 3D DVD. I was not impressed with 3D in the big box stores and thought this was a feature I'd never use. Wrong! Not only does the Panny offer one of the best 2D pictures but 3D is spectacular. Watching "Avatar" with calibrated settings was an out of body experience for me. After researching large screen plasmas for months I'm sure I made the right choice.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2011, 10:17 pm »
That TC-P55ST30 looks nice - and at around $1800 here in Canada, could be a front runner.

Thanks!

Poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2011, 11:17 am »
I paid $1443 on Amazon for the 55ST30 shipped. As I said it came with free glasses ( a $200 value ) and the Avatar 3D video. It's loaded with internet apps and can stream wirelessly which you won't find from the competition at this price point.

"Hilton Head is what 250,000 Confederates died to prevent"
      - Alex Sanders, SC Chief Justice and College of Charleston President

mhconley

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm »
Find a gently used Pioneer KRP-500M - the best plasma ever made.

Martin

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2011, 02:55 pm »
I have had a Samsung model pn50a460 for about 2 years, works great, like new..

It has the right options with it. Has the ability to "scroll the screen", some plasma's don't have that..

good luck...