? for the DIY fiberglass trap and panel builders

Cheerwino

? for the DIY fiberglass trap and panel builders
« on: 15 Jul 2011, 11:59 am »
Found a local Owens Corning distributor with 703 and 705 fiberglass boards in stock and getting ready to start building some corner and panel traps. I have two questions for those who've worked with this or comparable fiberglass panels or are just familiar with fiberglass:

1. How long does it take for the fumes to dissipate? I couldn't find formaldehyde-free panels but I don't care for that fiberglass smell of the binders. Wondered how long it would last.

2. Will I be able to attach fabric directly to the fiberglass with 3M spray adhesive (or maybe hot glue the edges? I'm trying to avoid building a frame for my stacked corner triangle chunks of 703. So, I was hoping to just wrap the chunk like a present. I wanted all the fiberglass covered so I could move them around, if needed.

Thanks!

Big Red Machine

Re: ? for the DIY fiberglass trap and panel builders
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2011, 12:22 pm »
No fumes.  I never experienced any fumes and I have a really good nose.

You can attach with 3M spray glue but then how do you attach the panel to the wall?  Most of us build frames and hang the frames, often 1" off the wall for added benefit.

See my thread in Salk speakers for room treatments in the photos made from 703 and simple frames hung on nails.  Ready Acoustics makes kits for cool metal frames as well and the sleeves to fit around.

I laid my cloth on the face of the 703 and the pushed the frame over that which just pressure fit the cloth in place.  I did not glue mine at all.  Then I can change cloth colors if need be.  I used simple polyester from the fabric store.

Cheerwino

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply Big Red Machine. By fumes I mean that new fiberglass smell from the binders gassing off. Good to know there isn't any (or much).

I may well build frames for my wall and ceiling panels. It's really the tri-corner traps (24" triangles stacked 703) for which I'm trying to avoid building a frame. My plan is to build them 24" wide x 4' high and put them on a little corner shelf of wood or small brackets. However, I feared the 703 would be a bit too flexible or perhaps compress under its own weight over time, which would cause sagging in the fabric if it was adhered directly to the face of the corner trap as opposed to being wrapped around a frame.

I'm also assuming the 703 won't hold staples.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2011, 07:07 pm by Cheerwino »

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:39 pm »
It usually takes a couple weeks for most of the smell to dissipate, if you place them in the sun out side, it will speed up the process . Yes spray contact glue will work, but if you are going to spray it on the cloth do a test because the glue will bleed though on some materials.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:42 pm »
The weight will not be a problem.  I have triangles floor to ceiling in 3 corners of my room and there is no noticeable compression.

I built a crude frame and stapled cloth to the frame to hide the triangles.  The frame is notched for the baseboard and is a tight fit at the floor and ceiling so it just stays put on its own.

Won't hold staples at all.  Cuts very nicely on a table saw though.

jimbop

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2011, 04:03 am »
If you're worried about the fumes of the  fiberglass, perhaps you should be concerned about the smell of the spray adhesive too.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2011, 04:32 am »
VOCs....Volatile Organic compounds. Those are the fumes you smell.
You can buy low VOC spray glue, soon youll be able to buy Low VOC semi rigid insulation as well.
When we build commercial buildings we have to let the HVAC run for 7-15 days to eliminate VOCs.
My guess is to exchange the air with fans through the window and it will speed up the process.

I just finished full treatments for my room. Used wood frames as well, but I build things for a living so it was easy for me.
Went to a store called Fabricland and for $85 picked up enough (10 yrds) speaker grill material to do 2pc of 2'x4' panels, 2pcs of 3'x5' panels, 2pc 2'6"x 6' bass traps and 2pc 30"x30" tri-corner diffusers...simply stapled to the back of the wood frame and it looks fantastic. Was easy to work out wrinkles easily as well....something you wont have the option to do with glue.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2011, 11:34 am »
Bass trap triangles and framed cover.

Rear bass trap over the sump pump box:

Soffit trap:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2011, 11:42 am »
BRM,

Really great work from a Room Acoustics standpoint. I looked at your systems page, and you have clearly paid quite a bit of attention to it. Did you make any measurements, especially time based like decay, etc...afterwards. I'm sure your room is quiet with the green glue, double dry wall, dual doors. Do you have any build pictures from the ground up - or maybe it is somewhere else on the circle.

EDIT - I found it right here. Thanks.

Best,
Anand.

Cheerwino

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2011, 01:44 pm »
Thanks y'all. Jimbop, I guess I'm not bothered by the adhesive fumes and know they dissipate after a few days (or maybe I secretly enjoy them  :) ). I'm not so much worried about any health issues around the fiberglass smell as much as I just don't like it in the house. Flashbacks to childhood construction projects helping my family build our house, I guess.

Yeah, PDR, I could build frames, I guess I'm just wondering if it's necessary or what the trade offs might be. I definitely see your point about the wrinkles. Thanks.

Thanks for posting the photos Big Red Machine  :thumb:. Nice build. I particularly like the clever simplicity of the soffit trap.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2011, 03:01 pm »
BRM,

Really great work from a Room Acoustics standpoint. I looked at your systems page, and you have clearly paid quite a bit of attention to it. Did you make any measurements, especially time based like decay, etc...afterwards. I'm sure your room is quiet with the green glue, double dry wall, dual doors. Do you have any build pictures from the ground up - or maybe it is somewhere else on the circle.

EDIT - I found it right here. Thanks.

Best,
Anand.

I'm ashamed to admit I don't think I ever measured my room.  I owned a Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 once and it only made a 6% adjustment to the sound profile, so that meant my room was pretty darned good.

A few construction photos:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2011, 04:05 pm »
Very nice. Clips w/channels, isolated boxes for the outlets...etc...you did it right  :thumb:

Anand.