Free demo for feedback, crossover parts quality comparison...

Danny Richie

I wanted to start a new thread on this one. It is a continuation of this older long going thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87808.0

What I am looking for are open minded people willing to listen to a pair of speakers with two different crossovers. One is stock and the other identical to the stock crossover but uses higher quality crossover parts.

Just listen to the speakers and report what you hear.

You'll have to be responsible for them while you have them and secure them with a credit card. Your card will not be charged unless the speakers disappear or are damaged while you have them. You'll then be responsible for shipping to the next person.

Here are a few pic of the crossovers.

For those of you that followed the old thread until it got a little too long, the run down so far is that 24 out of 25 people reported audible differences of some kind. Some reported very subtle differences while others reported that the differences were real easy to hear.

Also, the quality level of the playback system appears to make quite a difference as to whether the differences are subtle or significant.

Here are a few quotes from the feedback in the previous thread.

Overall, 88% of participants (7/8) heard "unmistakably clear" differences between the two crossovers.

That being said, it wasn't difficult to hear minor audible differences between the two crossovers.

On my older recordings I really couldn't tell much of a difference (or rather couldn't tell a difference) and I went to some of my newer recordings and there I noticed more of a difference.

There is a difference; it’s not in your (or at least my) face to be sure, but I can hear differences when listening carefully.

Had some guys over from the A-VOCA today to listen to the speakers.  All 3 could pick out the improvements from the upgraded crossover easily.

I am back from Alaska, and I met yesterday with John Morrison, president of the A-VCOA.  He did the demo for the group of guys while I was gone.  I think they had 10 people at the gathering, incliuding the wife of one of the members of the club.  John siad that every person was able to hear differences between the 2 crossovers, and ALL involved preferred the modified board.

So, including the 3 guys that came to my home, that makes 13 total that heard the demos, and all heard the differences, and all liked the modified crossovers the best.  It reaaly was easy to hear once you listened to each board for a few minutes.

So who wants to be next?
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2011, 10:28 pm by Danny »

johnzm

Re: Free demo for feedback...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:12 pm »
i am sure once this finds its way to the avs 2 channel forum, many people will get riled up! :lol:

tesseract

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:24 pm »
i am sure once this finds its way to the avs 2 channel forum, many people will get riled up! :lol:

I introduced it over there already. No takers, just lots of crowing and strutting around the coop.   :duh:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1279823

One "expert" was laughing at the "price tag" on the coils.   :lol:

Another was questioning Danny's expertise. This guy just brought his DIY speakers (Suite 270) to the Carnegie Acoustic sponsored Capital Audio Fest. Too funny. I just PM'ed the guy this picture.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/carnegie-acoustics

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:15 pm »

Another was questioning Danny's expertise. This guy just brought his DIY speakers (Suite 270) to the Carnegie Acoustic sponsored Capital Audio Fest. Too funny. I just PM'ed the guy this picture.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/carnegie-acoustics

That's not Danny, that guy is not wearing tennis shoes and shorts.  :P

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2011, 07:47 pm »
That's not Danny, that guy is not wearing tennis shoes and shorts.  :P

Uh huh.

grimace

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2011, 08:19 pm »
Are they in the Southeast?  If so, I'm in Charlotte and would love to try them out.  Sounds fun.

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2011, 08:36 pm »
Are they in the Southeast?  If so, I'm in Charlotte and would love to try them out.  Sounds fun.

Yes they are.

E-mail me or call me with all of your info and I'll have them sent over to you.

info@gr-research.com or 940-592-3400.

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm »
Can we get an idea of the speakers specs? Or how many watts they will ideally need?

Only have a max of 30W at present...

dvenardos

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2011, 11:13 pm »
All the info on the speakers here:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B2031P.aspx#featurelist

Can we get an idea of the speakers specs? Or how many watts they will ideally need?

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2011, 12:03 am »

30 watts of power will be fine for them.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2011, 01:14 am »

If you get them, I want to hear them (since I'm 5min or so from you).   :green:

grimace

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:10 am »
@Danny, email sent.

@jtwtrace - will be happy to drive em down 115 after I'm done  :D

stu

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2011, 04:59 pm »
Grimace,
I sent them to you yesterday.  They said you might get them today.  If not, look for them on Monday via Fedex ground,

Mark

grimace

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2011, 06:42 pm »
Got them.  Thanks.  Will hook them up later this week and try them out.

stu

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2011, 10:43 pm »
Glad you got them ok.  When you demo them, make sure you move all three switches on the back of each speaker.  All 3 up for normal board, and all three down for modified board. 
Enjoy!

Mark

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2011, 02:51 pm »
Who wants to be next?

grimace

« Reply #16 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:17 pm »
Hey Danny, I think jtwrace was in line to be next since he lives right down the road from me.

jtwrace, you ready for them?

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:20 pm »
Hey Danny, I think jtwrace was in line to be next since he lives right down the road from me.

Oh yeah. If you want to hand them off to Jason that will be fine. You guys just let me know when they have changed hands so I can keep track of where they are.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2011, 04:58 pm »

No.  I was just hoping to come over when they were setup and have a listen.  I really can't be lifting this stuff.   :(

Danny-
Is the blue stuff just silicone that you used?  Is it on the ends of the caps too?  Care to elaborate?

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2011, 05:15 pm »
No.  I was just hoping to come over when they were setup and have a listen.  I really can't be lifting this stuff. 

They are just mini-monitors. Okay, you guys figure it out.

Is the blue stuff just silicone that you used?  Is it on the ends of the caps too?  Care to elaborate?

It just looks kind of Blue in the pic. It is just hot glue. I didn't want the caps to get knocked off in shipping so they are zipped tied and hot glued. The inductors have zip ties and Silicone under them.