This is suppose to flatten warped records.....

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: This is suppose to flatten warped records.....
« Reply #40 on: 8 Oct 2011, 09:10 pm »
My warped records aren't going anywhere so I'll stay tuned.

Æ

« Reply #41 on: 8 Oct 2011, 09:59 pm »
I found a fairly easy way to flatten warped records. Get yourself a nice piece of clean (flat) glass. Set the record on it and set it somewhere where sunlight will fall on it. Monitor it, don't let it melt or anything like that. Depending on the time of year it will soften up nicely and gravity will take care of the rest. Remove it from the sunlight and let it cool. Voila!

Delta Wave

« Reply #42 on: 12 Oct 2011, 08:24 pm »
I think I'd be more worried about the actual signals in the groove warping, they're so small and thin where I can only imagine that they would be the first thing effected by the heat.

Æ

« Reply #43 on: 12 Oct 2011, 08:56 pm »
I think I'd be more worried about the actual signals in the groove warping, they're so small and thin where I can only imagine that they would be the first thing effected by the heat.

Obviously heat will destroy anything, it just depends how much. On a warm day you can manually straighten out a warped record by bending it carefully, very, very carefully. I've done it successfully a number of times.

Delta Wave

« Reply #44 on: 12 Oct 2011, 09:14 pm »
I'm just guessing the sound quality will degrade substantially even if the record is made flat again via heat with no issues visible to the naked eye.

Æ

« Reply #45 on: 12 Oct 2011, 11:31 pm »
I'm just guessing the sound quality will degrade substantially even if the record is made flat again via heat with no issues visible to the naked eye.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, just guessing because you don't know for sure. Easy enough to confirm, either by microscopic inspection or before and after frequency response measurements.

Photon46

« Reply #46 on: 12 Oct 2011, 11:50 pm »

I've flattened several dozen records with my Seal dry mount press and in no case was there ever any audible degradation of sound quality. (Unless I stupidly neglected to remove all traces of dust or debris from the pressing surfaces :duh:) The trick is to get the temperature and pressure just right so the vinyl relaxes and re-hardens in a new configuration without overheating and causing actual melting and groove damage. I've found 135-140 degrees F. for about 45 minutes does the trick.

simoon

« Reply #47 on: 13 Oct 2011, 12:55 am »
I've flattened several dozen records with my Seal dry mount press and in no case was there ever any audible degradation of sound quality.

I agree.

Vinyl is a quite elastic material, it will tend to return to the shape. It is temporarily deformed by heat every time it is played.

The heat created by friction of the stylus contacting the vinyl temporarily deforms the grove. This is why it is so harmful playing dirty records, the dust particle is embedded in the grove because the vinyl is soft from the friction created heat.

Berndt

« Reply #48 on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:17 pm »
A friend bought the original item with their heating pad bag.
It works.
I have had a set of Japanese iron maiden lps that were too warped to play.
I just listened to them all for the first time.
Wonderful.
If you don't have a record cleaner though, I would say don't do it.
Lps must be clean or the gunk will become permanent.
My results are close to perfect. No noise added or taken away. Some of the lps needed to be cycled twice, at about an eight hour stint.
They were playable after one cycle and close to perfect after two shots.
This product is a no brainer. Again, only if you can really clean your lps.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #49 on: 29 Dec 2011, 08:45 pm »
A friend bought the original item with their heating pad bag.
It works.
I have had a set of Japanese iron maiden lps that were too warped to play.
I just listened to them all for the first time.
Wonderful.
If you don't have a record cleaner though, I would say don't do it.
Lps must be clean or the gunk will become permanent.
My results are close to perfect. No noise added or taken away. Some of the lps needed to be cycled twice, at about an eight hour stint.
They were playable after one cycle and close to perfect after two shots.
This product is a no brainer. Again, only if you can really clean your lps.

Berndt,

thanks for the follow up. I just placed an order for the flattner and the pouch. The company has a special offer through the end of the year, the Vinyl Flat and the Groovy Pouch for $139 plus free shipping, a savings of $20. http://www.vinylflat.com/supersale.html

Laura

Berndt

« Reply #50 on: 29 Dec 2011, 10:39 pm »
Right on Laura, I think for the $$$ it is hard to beat. Most neophytes won't have clean records though so they will be creating a noisy mess.
I also cleaned them post flattening as they seemed to be given a bit of a static charge.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #51 on: 29 Dec 2011, 10:59 pm »
Right on Laura, I think for the $$$ it is hard to beat. Most neophytes won't have clean records though so they will be creating a noisy mess.
I also cleaned them post flattening as they seemed to be given a bit of a static charge.

That's a good thought. I always clean both new and used records on the Loricraft before playing them the first time. I will definitely give a record a spin on the Loricraft before and after using the vinylflat.

orthobiz

« Reply #52 on: 30 Dec 2011, 01:49 am »
Thanks, I just ordered mine. And I was supposed to report back to the group. :oops: I never ordered! But NOW I can get the go anywhere groovy pouch!!!!

Paul

Berndt

« Reply #53 on: 30 Dec 2011, 06:06 pm »
I had a couple Argo pressings of Vivaldis four seasons that were/are amazing performances. Both lps had slight waves in them that you could hear due to the content of the lp. They are flat as can be now with no sonic side effects. I am really stoked.

drjjpdc

« Reply #54 on: 30 Dec 2011, 09:19 pm »
One more plug for the glass sandwich variation.++ I use the glass and a piece of about 1/8" to 1/4" plywood on top of the glass. I then use about 3 paint cans full of paint (1 gallon each) and forget about it for a week or more, if need be. Never failed me yet.  :D

orthobiz

« Reply #55 on: 6 Jan 2012, 05:58 pm »
My Vinyl Flat Groovy Pouch has arrived ahead of the Vinyl Flat itself.

I had UPS notification of two separate boxes so the second box will probably arrive next week...

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #56 on: 6 Jan 2012, 06:33 pm »
My Vinyl Flat Groovy Pouch has arrived ahead of the Vinyl Flat itself.

I had UPS notification of two separate boxes so the second box will probably arrive next week...

Paul

I recieved both boxes on Tuesday. They were mailed spearately and according to the tracking info they arrived in Spokane on Dec 31 and delivered on the next mail day, Jan 3. I will be using mine this weekend on a warped copy of Ford Theatre and Jefferson Starship's Nuclear Furniture.

Jlappy

« Reply #57 on: 7 Jan 2012, 02:13 am »
Laura & Paul,

I am excited to hear about your results with your new tools  :D.

Good luck!

Jim

vinyl_lady

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jan 2012, 05:06 pm »
I used the vinyl flat for the first time last night and it really works! I centered a cleaned, but warped record between the two black rings (called Groovy Rings) and placed it on the bottom metal piece, placed the top metal peice over the bolt and finger tightened the wing nut. I then placed the vinyl flat into the Groovy Pouch and plugged the external power supply into the Groovy Pouch. Following the directions, I used a 4 hour heating cycle. After the vinyl flat had cooled to room temperature, I removed the record and played it. It wasn't perfectly flat, but the warp that made the record unplayable was gone and the record is very playable with no degradation in sound. The record was about 135g and I think a 4.5 hour heating cycle might have produced a "flatter" record.

For me, this is a purchase that is worth the $140 for the vinyl flat and Groovy Pouch.

roscoeiii

« Reply #59 on: 22 Jan 2012, 05:14 pm »
And when I spoke to Vinyl Flat earlier, they also said that some records may take mulitple sessions. IIRC, multiple sessions in the Vinyl Flat were preferable to just extending time in the pouch. May be worth a phone call to them if the documentation doesn't cover this.