CHIME is Out of Stock

hagtech

CHIME is Out of Stock
« on: 14 Jul 2011, 06:52 am »
I ran out of some critical parts to make the HAGDAC (and was down to just 6 more CHIME boards).  Just enough left to make one last unit!  So I decided to pull together one more Silver Edition and sell it as assembled.  It will be the last CHIME off the assembly line. 

I'll keep buying CORNET2 boards.

Presently working on a Geiger counter DIY kit.  Should be fun and interesting.   :)

jh

dnewman

Re: CHIME is Out of Stock
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2011, 05:55 pm »
Presently working on a Geiger counter DIY kit.  Should be fun and interesting.   :)

A different sort of "tube" project?

FWIW, three closely related things I want out of a geiger counter are: (1) some means of interfacing however crudely to a computer, (2) 24x7 run capability, and (3) (relatively) low power consumption.  Item (1) is so that I can have good entropy source for my computer.  Items (2) and (3) are in support of running the unit for months and years on end.  FWIW, the folks at SparkFun had a DIY kit,

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9848

Regards,
Dan
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2011, 03:05 am by dnewman »

Hanover Fist

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2011, 08:51 pm »
I hope you mean to keep making the HAGUSB? It is my next DIY project and I was hoping to order one soon-ish.

poty

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2011, 07:29 am »
IMHO the Geiger counter is more "fashion" project, not really usable. The source of the information (the counter itself) is unstable and not precise. The source of radiation to calibrate the ready device is almost nowhere to get, so it will be difficult to tune the counter itself (as a source of info) and the device too. ICs in radiation polluted environment are bad choice (at least without adequate shielding, which would be another side project counting its difficulty and lack of testing)....

dnewman

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2011, 01:48 pm »
The source of the information (the counter itself) is unstable and not precise.

But makes for a good entropy source for computational purposes.

Dan

poty

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2011, 08:39 am »
But makes for a good entropy source for computational purposes.
Maybe-maybe... I prefer to know exact statistical values of a source than painfully calculate them from the current-situation-environment.

dnewman

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2011, 10:59 pm »

jh

Another Geiger counter kit to be aware of,

http://mightyohm.com/blog/products/geiger-counter/

It uses an AVR (ATtiny 2313) -- presumably to support its data logging capability.  (I came across this kit as I happen to do a lot of AVR programming.)

Dan

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2011, 06:06 am »
Hmmm, the mighty-ohm looks pretty nice.  Not sure I can hit those prices.  Mine is similar, but I am adding high voltage regulation and probably a USB output.  It will be in fully enclosed hand-held case.  Functionally, it won't be that different, though.  Maybe I'm a little late to the game, here...

I'm writing a Windows control program to "talk" to it that will also take in a GPS feed.  That way you can map out radiation readings as you walk or drive and area.  I'm not sure quite how to inject it into google maps yet, but that would be a nice thing.  They are doing something similar in Japan at www.safecast.org.  I'm hoping to be able to contribute. 

jh

jacobmj

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2011, 07:07 pm »
I ran out of some critical parts to make the HAGDAC (and was down to just 6 more CHIME boards).

Jim,
I've got at least one friend that would be pleased to have a Chime.  Would you be able to supply a bare HAGDAC board?  I also recall a post about Chime PCBs from a small-order board maker.  Did that not work out?

Thanks much.
~Jacob

hagtech

« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2011, 05:34 am »
The main problem is finding the SO package CS8415A.  I do have a few more VCOs left.  It's not really worth the trouble at this point, as whatever I do would likely end up losing me money.

jh

jacobmj

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2011, 09:54 pm »
Jim,
Perhaps your answer remains the same, though, to be clear, I was asking about the PCB, without any components.  I understood that you weren't able to get some parts.

~Jacob
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2011, 11:11 pm by jacobmj »

hagtech

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2011, 07:46 am »
Without the right parts, the HAGDAC board isn't going to do you much good.

jh