Best Bang For Your Buck Gear!!! Post the best gear you've found that was C & C!!

Poultrygeist

Parts Express sold these Marcato Outdoor Subs for $29. At this price it's one of the best cheap and cheerful deals I've found. It's 10 inch woofer is made by Eminence.

OzarkTom

The Centrance Dacmini and Grado SR-325i headphones sounds incredible. This beats a lot of high dollar amp-speaker systems.

Oops, that is slitely over $1000. The Grado SR-225i's should sound very close. That is about $1000 even.

Doublej

Similarly, cryoed outlets from Dave Elledge for $10, about a year ago.  They made a clear, audible improvement over standard outlets.

Where can one find these Dave Elledge outlets?

Poultrygeist

The orange hospital grade outlets from Lowes go for $12 and are popular with many audiophiles. They grip your plugs tightly and are so much better than the standard outlets in new homes.

tesseract

I am pretty happy about this deal that Chase Home Theater gave me. It was listed in their forum and I scooped it up. This is the only subwoofer return they have ever had to date, a CS-18.T Duo Series 2 system. With it, I received a free pair of Danny Richie designed WAF-1 mini monitors.

I have a complete satellite/sub system for only $800, screaming ID deal of the century. The sub amp alone is normally $425.

- WAF-1
- Dayton SA1000 subwoofer amp
- Dual 18" sealed subwoofers

Just for fun, here is the B&W 602S3, the GR Research N2X, and the WAF-1.

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2011, 02:10 am by tesseract »

Poultrygeist

I paid $75 for this Rotel/Martel FAX150 tube receiver. I understand they were sold by Montgomery Ward back in the day.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
tesseract--thats a nice sub!!!!

What other stuff do we have guys that regularly sells for small cash but gives back huge sound???? For the new guys that just start to get the bug!!!

Poultrygeist

The Playstation SCPH-1001 can be found at flea markets for chump change but their CD sound is comparable to high end players. I must have four or five and paid $5 for the last one. The 1001 is the only Playstation to consider as it has analog left and right RCA's on the back. Their only draw back is they often have trouble reading CD-R's. You can also find a remote plus a tiny plug-in transmitter on ebay for around $10 that can be used in place of the klutsy controller.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/leben2/system.html

tesseract

tesseract--thats a nice sub!!!!

Thanks, eclein. Look on the other side and you will see it's twin.

JohnR

Mine is my miniDSP 2x8. I'm beginning to realize that DSP is not for the masses, but for me, and for less than the price of any half-decent DAC, it has completely transformed my system and my approach to it.

(In case it's a concern: yes, I paid for it in full and no, I don't get any kickbacks from my articles.)

After that would be the Dynaco ST-70(s) and similar vintage amps I bought years ago. However I'm not sure that is really an option any more for C&C.

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
Metrum Acoustics NOS Mini DAC Octave
« Reply #50 on: 16 Aug 2011, 11:59 am »
The top model in a bunch of 3 is €700. It goes downhill from there  :icon_twisted:

This is a no up/oversampling or filtering DAC in the 47Labs/AudioNote/Zanden vein but does *not* use the ubiquitous Philips chip or any other recognizable chip from the audio sector. Instead these are chips from the laboratory sector. The ones used contain the I/V conversion and output buffer on the chip. the Octave parallels four per channel, the next model down gets two per channel and the entry-level one gets one. Outboard power supply, excellent build quality and astonishing R/2R sonics are the result.

http://www.nosminidac.nl/Octave_English.html

JohnR

My post may have been out of place... altho $300 in a $1k system total is not completely out of whack... but where does a EU700 DAC fit in?

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
I said that the most expensive of three DACs is €700. If you pursue the link you'll find that the Quad version is €290. I'd think that price would fit the C&C category. Perhaps not. Once you investigate what this DAC competes against however, you'd likely agree that it's quite the find more folks deserve to learn about. Or not. My concern wasn't worrying about where it fits in. That's for folks to figure out who are in the market to put together a cost-effective system and need a list of worthy contenders.

eclein

• Volunteer
Srajan-awesome find...thanks!!!!!! :thumb:
John I'm pretty sure your post fits, I may be going down that road soon...can they be used without the measurement Mic?? I guess that would defeat the objective wouldn't it??

JohnR

I thought the idea was that people would post what they bought themselves. Anybody can make a recommendation.

I guess the idea of C&C is getting pretty tired.

eclein

• Volunteer
Yes John that was my original intent, so somebody had actually heard and could attest to the sound and value........

JohnR

So can we prune the "recommending from specs" posts?

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
I actually have the Metrum Octave and also reviewed it. Seeing the Quad merely subtracts two chips per channel but can be run off the same power supply, the sound of the cheaper unit will be quite similar as it's based on the very same topology. Whereas eclein gets my intent, JohnR as usual has issues. So be it.  :roll:

JohnR

Whereas eclein gets my intent, JohnR as usual has issues. So be it.  :roll:

Oh. I wasn't anticipating that this was going to get personal. Care to explain?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Time for a group hug. We're all cut from the same "audio cloth" right?

Bob