Best Bang For Your Buck Gear!!! Post the best gear you've found that was C & C!!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
2 Pi  :thumb:

Amazingly good sound from a piezo tweeter, I've heard the 2 Pi sound better than the 2 Pi Tower.  As I recall the 2 Pi Tower was designed to be built from 12 and 16 inch MDF shelves and the kit was only $110/pair.

Another C&C "component", Ikea for racks (as shown by Poultrygeist).  Unfortunately the $30, 3 shelf, open front/back, heavily built Ikea nightstand I use is no longer available.   :(

2gumby2

2 Pi  :thumb:

Amazingly good sound from a piezo tweeter, I've heard the 2 Pi sound better than the 2 Pi Tower.  As I recall the 2 Pi Tower was designed to be built from 12 and 16 inch MDF shelves and the kit was only $110/pair.

Another C&C "component", Ikea for racks (as shown by Poultrygeist).  Unfortunately the $30, 3 shelf, open front/back, heavily built Ikea nightstand I use is no longer available.   :(

I don't think the Pi speakers are using the Piezo tweeter anymore. I think Vifa tweeters are used now. I originally built my Two Pi Towers with the Piezo tweeter, then I purchased and installed the Vifa from Pi and found that the Vifa was a huge improvement over the piezo. I'm very happy with these speakers.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I love to know about parts and specific items within a piece of gear and thank you guys for that but if we can lets try and keep this on GEAR we have had or have...like complete pieces of gear say..Amp, DAC, Speakers, Etc....I want to see if anybody comes up with a cool piece thats C&C and performs really well, like Danny's N2X speakers...Those are a kit but if your handy with some pre-made or to build some cabinets your self, you'll have speakers that perform well above the price point. So far above I couldn't put a label on it myself...I've said before, if I was starting over that would be the first piece I'd get. Slammin good in my opinion. I was demoing them and using a 10" sub and they just disappeared into the background and everything was so evenly split, here is a picture of mine someday.

Well the cabinets at least..... :dance: :dance:      GR Research N2X Speaker Cabinets I'd use...

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Great thread Ed, I have so many I'll try to limit to the most resent.

Pioneer VSX D912K receiver, about $100 average price on eBay.  This is the one used by Dr Earl Geddes to power his Gedlee speakers at some big audio show to the delight and derision of the public and press.  As an integrated amp (analog only the digital section sucks) it's wonderfully clear and illuminating with the right speakers, but ultimately I found too hard to live with because of severe current limitation.  However, a big however here, it's unparallelled as a preamp compared to anything I own or have auditioned.  Clean, clear, sweet and detailed with an excellent soundstage.

Polk RTi6 speakers, $81 on eBay.  This is the last model before the current model and as it's a mass market consumer product, the value drops to the basement for this $469 retail pair of largish bookshelves.  Midrange detail and presence to die for, fairly tight bass and decent treble make for a very musical package that is delicious to listen to.  While not perfect, they just play music.  The real wood cheery veneer doesn't hurt the perceived value either.

Sweet Spot Reveal copper interconnects made by our own Sonny (Tuan), $125 per 3' pair.  An insightful cable that brings out very bit of detail and soundstaging the connected components can deliver without ever becoming hard or harsh.  If you want to hear all your system has to offer without spending for the mega buck magic cables, send Sonny a PM.   

Other quick mentions, JEC 7510 DAC, VPI HW-19Jr turntable, vintage Empire cartridges, vintage Grado cartridges, Roxul SafenSound insulation, Lovan Prelude speaker stands.  I could go on.....     

fredgarvin

The HSU HB-1 v2 is the best inexpensive speaker I have heard in some time.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

bummrush

2 pairs of killer Clements speakers for 200 . Had a pair for sale right here and not one bite .

eclein

• Volunteer
bummrush-did they eventually sell??

eclein

• Volunteer
When I first came here I didn't know what a DAC was, so I asked, and then I saw the Maverick DAC thread and got in on the tour although I didn't buy a Maverick I did buy what has turned out to be the most versatile piece of equipment I own. A Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 which is a DAC, a pre-amp, a tube buffer, a subwoofer pre-amp, it has 5 inputs and two sets of stereo outputs a Tube output and a Solid State output. It use's a 5670 tube and the choices for tube rolling are tremendous. I use the USB, Toslink, SPDIF and both standard inputs for routing purposes etc.. and for $200 on sale when I purchased has paid for itself many times over I think. Here is a link: http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-Tube-DAC-09.html

fredgarvin

When I first came here I didn't know what a DAC was, so I asked, and then I saw the Maverick DAC thread and got in on the tour although I didn't buy a Maverick I did buy what has turned out to be the most versatile piece of equipment I own. A Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 which is a DAC, a pre-amp, a tube buffer, a subwoofer pre-amp, it has 5 inputs and two sets of stereo outputs a Tube output and a Solid State output. It use's a 5670 tube and the choices for tube rolling are tremendous. I use the USB, Toslink, SPDIF and both standard inputs for routing purposes etc.. and for $200 on sale when I purchased has paid for itself many times over I think. Here is a link: http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Grant-Fidelity-Tube-DAC-09.html

Thanks E! I'm going to check into that.

RCduck7

I have been checking reviews and users opinions about the Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 and for the sound and it's versatile you can't seem to go wrong for the price.
I'm intrested in the DAC as it can be used as a tube buffer and headphone amp. I'd like to experiment with a tube buffer in my setup and i want to use headphones when i play some games or watch something on the telly in the bedroom when misses is sleeping (my standard tv phone output has lots of noise).
How can it be used as a tube buffer? I see CD/DVD rca inputs and tube or SS outputs on the back of the unit, so i guess i would have to use these then.
I'm going to have to put my DacMagic up for sale to justify buying the Grant Fidelity DAC to the misses. :)
The DacMagic doesn't sound as good as my Metrum Quad mini NOS DAC anyway and i don't expect the Grant Fidelity to beat the Metrum DAC in my setup to but the sound could also be very good but maybe different becausse of the tube output stage, if not, at least the Grant Fidelity can be used for it's other functions.

When i was looking through forums i also read that someone had better headphone sound by using the tube output at the back with a phone socket to rca splitter instead of using the front headphone socket.

The topic... http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=304224

eclein

• Volunteer
Tube Buffer- Yep you would use any of the inputs and as long as you use the Tube pre-out or whatever its labelled your using the tube buffer.
Headphone amp is Solid State
Headphones using the pre-outs, yep, I have not done it others have, I also use mine as a pre-amp for my subwoofer taking the solid state output-my CD player has two outputs so I take one to the Grant and then run a sub from that lead......tons of options :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
You can tube roll and change the sound to exactly the way you like it......I have lots of tubes for that purpose, very cool

RCduck7

I paid only 45 euro (64 USD) including shipping for the Ion Desk Rocker active USB speakers. Was normally 129 euro! They are small but nearfield they sound very good and with enough bass, i don't feel i miss anything from the musical message, perfect for the price. I was actually stunned when these little speakers threw a spacious sound when Marisa was playing from the Audiophile voices album, the section when the saxophone kicked in. They do sound best at least a
 foot away from the wall for perfect soundstaging. They also come with a software cd to make Vinyl recordings and also aheadphone connection and a RCA input and bass boost switch if needed (in open space).

eclein

• Volunteer
This just came out maybe a month ago and does one thing really, really, really Well!!!!! It takes portable music and amplifies it with 3 EQ settings that are basically different levels of bass boast. Its the size of a cigarette pack and half as thick but this little $65 headphone amp is the best one I've ever had the pleasure of using. Its rechargeable, its very cool looking and gives you 10 hrs. of power on a single charge. The Fiio E11 is fabulous!!!!

Poultrygeist

These are the cheap and cheerful DIY White Lightning Moonshine speaker cables which cost $7.00 plus the banana plugs. They are nothing more than Walmart Woods Patio power cord with the ends cut off yet they sound as good as my high dollar Audioquest speaker cables.

2gumby2

The Electric Avenues headphone amplifiers are great. I have two of them and I think the perform far above their price point.
http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

RCduck7

These are the cheap and cheerful DIY White Lightning Moonshine speaker cables which cost $7.00 plus the banana plugs. They are nothing more than Walmart Woods Patio power cord with the ends cut off yet they sound as good as my high dollar Audioquest speaker cables.

I would also recommend this over cheap speaker cable.
It doesn't suprise me that a simple power cord used as speaker cable will do a very good job, a 1 wire stiff cable supposed to be very good, (not sure that yours seen on the pic are stiff cables though) also TV-cable is good. That's why i use the anti cable in my system, unfinished from the roll it is cheap and is basically a 1 wire with only a layer of lacquer for isolation, giving the wire a bit more breathing space wich also makes burn in very easy and quick according to the website. It sounds natural in my setup and repaced a more expensive Chord Odeyssey speaker cable.

http://www.anticables.com/

Doublej

P&S electrical outlet I bought for $8 a decade ago when they were all the rage.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
P&S electrical outlet I bought for $8 a decade ago when they were all the rage.
Similarly, cryoed outlets from Dave Elledge for $10, about a year ago.  They made a clear, audible improvement over standard outlets. 

eclein

• Volunteer
This is all great stuff guys, I had no idea we would get so many incredible products-keep'em coming folks!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: