7.1 rear surround set up

MaxCast

7.1 rear surround set up
« on: 10 Jul 2011, 01:09 pm »
How do you have yours set up?

Dolby says 135-150 degrees,
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

THX shows them together directly in back, but has the side surrounds at 90.
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

My side surrounds are about 120 according to my iphone compas  :)
The rear surrounds could be 140 or 170 from front.  Any experience with this?  Does it matter?
Room is 20x25 and the rear surrounds would be about 9' from my head.

Mag

Re: 7.1 rear surround set up
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2011, 04:39 pm »
You have a good sized room for HT. Unlike yourself I don't have a decent room so have to compromise.

I object to having surrounds or back speakers parked too close to listening chair, even with time delays. So in my room I opted for long wall placement and use reflections by placing speakers in the corner or have them reflect off side or front walls. Seems to work quite well. :smoke:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2011, 05:19 pm »
It's an old drawing, but close enough.  I have a 5.1 music-only setup where my SP Tech Continuums (match the fronts) are at about 130 degrees and play only hirez surround music to my single listening position.  My 7.1 setup are hanging Alon Centris dipoles and I have the sides at 90 degrees and rears at about 150, with about six feet between them (black, on sloped portion of ceiling).  I think the 7.1 rear needs for movies are more about envelopment and you don't want them too close to any movie goers ears for any imbalance.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2011, 06:05 pm »
I think you have been in my theater.  My calcs are rough, but from the sweetspot location the sides are 113 degrees and the rears are 168 degrees.  My rears are 12' back and the sides vary from 7 to 8 feet given my asymmetrical layout.

I could barely get all 4 columns in the photo:

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2011, 06:13 pm »
Sides are 90 and rears let's say 165 (not sure; total estimate).  I'm using dipole at sides and bipole at rears.  I've also used multiple different regular speakers as surrounds.  Personally, I like the less diffuse sound of regular speakers for surrounds.  But the nice thing about my current speakers (Emotiva ERD-1s, see like below) is that they're on the wall and take no floor space.  I've used speakers as large as floor standing 3 way Linns as surrounds.

Emotiva ERD-1s:

http://www.emotiva.com/erd1.shtm

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2011, 08:06 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Since I already have one hung and two of you match I'll stay with the 170.