AVA at California Audio Show July 15th thru 17th.

avahifi

AVA at California Audio Show July 15th thru 17th.
« on: 7 Jul 2011, 08:52 pm »
Just a heads up to all our friends (and Jim Salk's too) that we will be sharing a display room with Salksound at the California Audio Show in less than two weeks now.

We will have a big new amplifier to talk about and play, the Fet Valve 600R.  We will be running Salk SoundScape 10 speakers and it should be an amazing combination.

We hope to see as many of our California friends there as possible (and strangers too).

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: AVA at California Audio Show July 15th thru 17th.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2011, 02:24 am »
Wow!!!

Please tell more when you get a chance.

rcag_ils

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2011, 01:29 pm »
Fet Valve 600R

Do we really need anything bigger than the 550?

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2011, 02:21 pm »
Come on Frank, can you give us a little more.  :lol: I'm thinking it is NOT a next generation Ultra circuit by the name.

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2011, 02:55 pm »
OK, you asked for the info, here it is.  :)

The Fet Valve 600R Hybrid Amplifier  $2949
The Fet Valve 400R Hybrid Amplifier  $2549

Presenting the new AVA Fet Valve R series amplifiers, available in two models, the Fet Valve 600R (300 watts per channel) and the Fet Valve 400R (200 watts per channel).

Both offer absolutely unique engineering accomplishments; active regulated power supplies for each section of each channel.  There are active 12V heater supplies for each tube, active 275V and 200V regulators for each plate of each tube and for the mos-fet drivers, and finally (and an audio engineering first we believe) active regulated power supplies for each power mos-fet output circuit, ten high speed analog high current regulated power supplies in all.

You have never heard before, at any price, the astonishing musical quality and control our engineering has now achieved.  We offer simply astonishing bass range, control, and dynamics, open, layered, and emotional mid-range, and a top end that never stops, with no trace of glare, grain, or grit.  Your speakers and your ears will never be happier.

Both amplifiers sound identical, you save $400 if you choose the Fet Valve 400R, if all you need is a very strong 200 watts per channel. The newest Exicon “double-die” power mos-fets are standard on both new Fet Valve R models.

Both amps use two ECC81/12AT7 tubes.

All new AVA products now include IEC power sockets and a ground lift switch to eliminate ground loop hum in complex systems.

Upgrade costs:

From any previous Fet Valve or Ultra amplifier in an AVA chassis:   $1500

From a Fet Valve II series (including free shipping)    $500

Upgrade includes new audio and regulated power supply boards (already done in Fet Valve II series), new output mos-fet configuration, new output decoupling boards, regulated output transistor circuits, and double die Exicon mos-fet output devices as required.  The output configuration is different than that of all previous models.

Note that we privately built a few Fet Valve II versions without the regulated output power supplies because we had these new audio and regulated power supply boards (for everything except the output mos-fets) done and were at that time not sure at all about being able to complete a reliable full regulated output circuit short term.  That is the reason for the lower cost upgrade and free shipping for those that did the Fet Valve II series upgrade (cost was $999).  If these owners want "the rest of the story" they won't pay any more than anyone else.

We will have the new output decoupling boards available in about three weeks so wait until then before considering this upgrade.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2011, 03:02 pm »
Fantastic $/watt ratio Frank.  Kudos!!  And with tubes no less!!

martyo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2011, 03:16 pm »
WOW. Sounds exciting Frank!!   :eyebrows:  Sounds like a perfect match for the SoundScapes

Question: An upgraded amp will retain it's captive PC?

Minn Mark

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2011, 05:37 pm »
 :drool: :drool: :drool:

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2011, 05:58 pm »
To replace the captive power cord requires a replacement chassis.  No can do!

The power cord type the very least of your worries we suggest.

Frank Van Alstine

martyo

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2011, 06:36 pm »
To replace the captive power cord requires a replacement chassis.  No can do!

The power cord type the very least of your worries we suggest.

Frank Van Alstine

I know, just asking. 8)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2011, 07:20 pm »
Congradulations!  I can't wait to hear the new 600R!

Steve

Tom Alverson

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2011, 03:48 am »
If you upgrade an Ultra 550+, does it become a 400 or a 600?  Also is there a different upgrade price for an Ultra 550+ vs an Ultra Double 550+?

rcag_ils

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2011, 11:50 am »
Is the 550 Fet Valve series II same as a 550 "+"? What does the "+" mean? Is the "+" same as the "Double"?

Can the upgrade from the Ultra 550 retain the 225W/ch?

martyo

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm »
Is the 550 Fet Valve series II same as a 550 "+"? What does the "+" mean? Is the "+" same as the "Double"?

Can the upgrade from the Ultra 550 retain the 225W/ch?

Quote from: Frank
Note that we privately built a few Fet Valve II versions without the regulated output power supplies because we had these new audio and regulated power supply boards (for everything except the output mos-fets) done and were at that time not sure at all about being able to complete a reliable full regulated output circuit short term.

There were the Fet Valve's before the Ultra. Example: my bro had an Fet Valve 550 EXR6. (We can now call those Fet Valve series I)
Then the Ultra circuit was developed and the Ultra 550 and 350 were born.

The "double" is the double die version of the output devices.
Quote from: the AVA website
•Fet Valve Ultra amp upgrades and double die mos-fet upgrades for all earlier Fet Valve amps. Includes new or upgraded audio circuit boards and new output devices as required, and new regulated power supply circuits

The "+" is a very inexpensive upgrade/tweak that really sweetened up the high end in particular. VERY well worth the cost. I think it was $100 + shipping.

The stock Ultra 550 was conservatively rated at 250 a side. They were really 275-280. The Double Ultra 550 went to 307 a side. (That is what Frank said and posted about my "Double") With Franks conservative ratings I'd presume (not always a good idea) that the 600R is actually a little more than 300 per side. 8) 

rcag_ils

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2011, 04:01 pm »
It didn't really answer my question.

From any previous Fet Valve or Ultra amplifier in an AVA chassis:   $1500

From a Fet Valve II series (including free shipping)    $500

There were the Fet Valve's before the Ultra. Example: my bro had an Fet Valve 550 EXR6. (We can now call those Fet Valve series I)
Then the Ultra circuit was developed and the Ultra 550 and 350 were born.

So is the Ultra a Fet Valve series I or II?

If the "double" is the double die, then what is the "+"?

Does it mean the Ultra 550 will become the 600R and the Ultra 350 will become the 400R after the upgrade?

What is a Fet Valve series II and a "+"? Are they the series II?

I want the truth.

avahifi

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jul 2011, 04:34 pm »
I must plead guilty to having too many different versions of our big hybrid amplifiers too quickly over the past 2-3 years.

During this time we have made a number of very useful improvements, one at a time, and all I wanted to do was allow our clients to keep up with our best results as the desired.

Unfortunately, this got out of hand.

The Fet Valve II series  combined everything we knew about making a much better hybrid amp and thus I designed new audio and regulated power supply cards to support this the best way possible.  We never announced the Fet Valve II series because all along we had been trying to perfect something even more significant, an active regulated power supply for the output circuits, as well as for all the small signal circuits.  This finally happened. and after designing another new board set, output regulator and power supply decoupling boards, we finally have put it all together in one new design, the Fet Valve 400R and 600R series.  (R stands for regulated output supply).

All that remains of the original hybrid amps are the metal parts, the power transformer, and the raw high voltage, high current power supply board before regulation.  Some of the double die mos-fets are re-useable, some are not. The old 350 series can be upgraded to the 400R, the old 550 series to a 600R.

Sorry about the confusion.  Remember that the AVA amplifier you own and use now is still perfectly good and musical.  No need to spend your money on our new designs if you have better uses for it.

Best regards.

Frank Van Alstine

modular747

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jul 2011, 06:08 pm »
I have the new Fet Valve II 550 (AKA Ultra II 550) with double die outputs.  Frank did this for me recently when I sent it in for the "+" and double die upgrades, when the new circuit boards became available. 

I have to say the improvement was astonishing - particularly so since I didn't perceive much lacking in the original unit.  Everything across the spectrum is more dynamic (at low levels too), more detailed and more focused.  For me, the most dramatic improvement was in the upper midrange on female vocals.

It's hard to envision another level of improvement, but Frank hasn't steered me wrong for over 30 years.  I'll be sending the amp back for the final 600R output stage as soon as available.

trebejo

« Reply #17 on: 9 Jul 2011, 07:25 pm »
Fantastic news, Frank. I don't know which version I got but I'm looking forward to the improvements.

I'm curious about the show exhibitor listing, they have Salk but not AVA. Are you going to be there alongside your new amps?

rcag_ils

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2011, 08:05 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong, if I understand this correctly, the upgrade consist of

1) one new power regulator boards with more regulators than the Ultra.

2) two new audio driver boards.

3) two new audio output boards.

4) double die transistors if it doesn't already have them.

The original raw high voltage probably should be replaced very soon, since some of them are almost  twenty years old.

avahifi

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jul 2011, 04:34 pm »
Of course the Fet Valve 400R and 600R will have properly working high voltage, high current raw power supplies.  Any parts showing any aging will be replaced.

I might note that we have never had a failure of one of the big PC-mount raw power supply caps we use.  They are far more reliable than the old screw terminal "soup can" types of years ago.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

P.S.  You have the new configuration almost right.  The new regulated power supply board was done to provide additional connection terminals as required for the new audio boards, better thermal capability, and to improve the buildability of the layout.

The additional high voltage small signal regulated power supplies are built directly on the new audio boards.

The new regulated output power supply boards, containing part of the output regulator circuits and the output decoupling circuits fit inside the heat sink assemblies.

Correct, five new circuit boards in all plus outputs as required and one hell of a lot of assembly skill and time.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine