Improving Source

headshrinker2

Improving Source
« on: 7 Jul 2011, 08:08 pm »
Lots of audiophiles agree with a "source first" approach to upgrades.   I'm thinking of replacing my NAD-C541 CDP.  Two questions:

(1) Does BDA-1/BCD-1 improve significantly over BCD-1 alone?

(2) Since I already own the BDA-1 DAC, are there any transports that I should consider instead of buying a BCD-1 (i.e. something like an Oppo BDP-95)? 

Thanks.

Alpha10

Re: Improving Source
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2011, 08:09 pm »
What about the BDP-1 ?

Ditch the discs  :D

headshrinker2

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2011, 08:59 pm »
Alpha,
Is the BDP-1 superior to BCD-1 and/or BCD-1/BDA-1?  I have been reading forum and magazine reviews of the BDP-1 with great interest (especially since I don't have a local Bryston dealer). 

As most of us on this forum realize, some of the early reviews of the BDP-1 have not focused enough on audio quality. 

When 9/10 dentists tell me the BDP-1 is a better source than the other two options I listed above, I will be pulling out my checkbook.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2011, 09:01 pm »
Lots of audiophiles agree with a "source first" approach to upgrades.   I'm thinking of replacing my NAD-C541 CDP.  Two questions:

(2) Since I already own the BDA-1 DAC, are there any transports that I should consider instead of buying a BCD-1 (i.e. something like an Oppo BDP-95)? 

Thanks.

I tried the BCD-1/BDA-1 combo. IMO it was excellent but compared with my Sony/BDA-1 combo it was let's say clinical sounding, too clean. However my perception was influenced at the time by having my 3B ST amp on the center channel which I currently have replaced with a 3B SST.

IMO I heard more detail out the Sony/BDA-1 combo. So I suggest something like the Sony 5400 if you can find one or an older Sony similar model for transport. Along with a BDP-1 for Hi-Res. 8)

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2011, 09:03 pm »
I own the BCD-1 and BDA-1(I've A+B'd them)with the 26,I always was second guessing which was more musical :scratch:.I gave up,but I do like the analog outs out of the BCD-1.
Of course I got the BCD-1 before the BDA,guess I got a little emotional when I first listened to it.
Perhaps that stuck.
There sooo close I wouldn't fret over either,I like them both,and with the dac I can put in the BDP-1 :thumb:. .....26 pre and 28's for back up 8).

WBimmer

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2011, 03:12 am »
CD's are going the way of the do-do, so my vote is to go with the BDP/BDA.

You will be mighty impressed with that combo.

I find myself buying from HDtracks and such and getting my music almost instantly in HD.  Nothing gets better than that.

Good luck.

Wayne.

headshrinker2

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2011, 03:53 am »
Thanks for the replies so far. 

The way I see it, because so many folks are starting to move away from CDP, this might be an excellent time to purchase a high quality S/H CDP.   Good times to be a buyer of CDP.

Regarding my original post/questions, any folks on this forum happily using non-Bryston transports with their BDA-1?  The earlier poster mentioned his Sony CDP.  I'm wondering if I need to spend BCD-1 prices if I'm only going to use it as a transport...

I greatly look forward to auditioning the BDP/BDA combo in my home system.  Based on forums and reviews, the BDP may be just the source I am looking for.

headshrinker2

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2011, 03:59 am »
WBimmer,
Listening right now to some HD tracks from my MacBook Pro, connected to BDA-1 with a Wireworld Starlight Toslink.  Fantastic audio!  Buying from HDTRacks is going to be very addictive...

Once it becomes clear to me that BDP-1 is superior to my MBP, I will gladly remove my laptop from my system.  I think this is one of the comparisons many readers would like to see in future reviews of the BDP-1. 

CD's are going the way of the do-do, so my vote is to go with the BDP/BDA.

You will be mighty impressed with that combo.

I find myself buying from HDtracks and such and getting my music almost instantly in HD.  Nothing gets better than that.

Good luck.

Wayne.

larevoj

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2011, 06:44 am »
Hi headshrinker2, I have compared toslink out from MM to BDA-1 versus BCD-1/BDA-1 and the the toslink SQ is no where near. S/PDIF out to BDA-1 closes the gap and some felt its overall better then most CD players.

However, I compared BDA-1/BDP-1 on high resolution material and its very musical. I prefer it over the BDA-1/BCD-1 combo...bring your mac to the showroom and have an A/B audition.  :D   

werd

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2011, 07:31 am »

Thanks.

The answer is simple. If you only plan on playing cd's get the bcd...... PERIOD. I owned both the bcd and bda. I still have the bda but sold my bcd quickly for the bdp. The bcd is pointless with the bdp lurking around and bda in house.

My advice to you is if you plan on keeping the bda sell the bcd and get a bdp. Unless you only play cd's use the bcd and sell the bda and free up some money and forget it.

I commented on this last year about owning both. I found that the bcd i could cable for a sound i liked and cable the bda for a sound i liked. I can't remember what it was  :scratch:. That was awhile back and i don't recall but that is possible.... but really only hardcore finatic would do that and its not worth two grand to entertain imo.

headshrinker2

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2011, 01:40 pm »
Hey larevoj,
Very interesting.  One thing I discovered along the way, a stock/cheap toslink from MBP to BDA-1 was decent, but not great.  A higher quality toslink made a BIG difference.  The Wireworld Starlight toslink was a fairly significant upgrade.

Everything I read suggests using USB (with a good converter) from MBP/MM is big leap from toslink.  There are well-reviewed USB link/converters that would be less money than a new CDP or BDP-1. 

A Bryston dealer showroom would be a very good thing.  Sadly, my neighborhood Bryston dealer had to close his shop this year!

Hi headshrinker2, I have compared toslink out from MM to BDA-1 versus BCD-1/BDA-1 and the the toslink SQ is no where near. S/PDIF out to BDA-1 closes the gap and some felt its overall better then most CD players.

However, I compared BDA-1/BDP-1 on high resolution material and its very musical. I prefer it over the BDA-1/BCD-1 combo...bring your mac to the showroom and have an A/B audition.  :D

headshrinker2

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2011, 01:44 pm »
Hey werd,
I appreciate hearing feedback from somebody who has directly done the comparisons.  Mucho gracias.

I'm just looking for really great audio.  Not wedded to CD's... nor computers/streamers.  If a computer/streamer can deliver the goods in spades, I won't feel the need to have a CDP.

I'm thinking I need to pack up my MBP and take a little road tip to a nearby city that has a Bryston dealer.  Listening... should answer many of my questions.

The answer is simple. If you only plan on playing cd's get the bcd...... PERIOD. I owned both the bcd and bda. I still have the bda but sold my bcd quickly for the bdp. The bcd is pointless with the bdp lurking around and bda in house.

My advice to you is if you plan on keeping the bda sell the bcd and get a bdp. Unless you only play cd's use the bcd and sell the bda and free up some money and forget it.

I commented on this last year about owning both. I found that the bcd i could cable for a sound i liked and cable the bda for a sound i liked. I can't remember what it was  :scratch:. That was awhile back and i don't recall but that is possible.... but really only hardcore finatic would do that and its not worth two grand to entertain imo.

larevoj

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2011, 03:29 pm »
Everything I read suggests using USB (with a good converter) from MBP/MM is big leap from toslink.  There are well-reviewed USB link/converters that would be less money than a new CDP or BDP-1. 

Absolutely correct on the first part  :thumb: But not entire true about "less money than a new CDP or BDP-1.". If done right and all inclusive mods on MM...its actually more expensive therefore BDP-1 is a better and cost effective option.

headshrinker2

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jul 2011, 05:42 pm »
As somebody who already owns a Mac (MBP) and the BDA-1, I could buy a pretty snazzy USB converter for much, much less than $2000 (cost of BDP-1).   

I don't love having my laptop perched on my audio rack, but I will happily use it if it becomes a versatile, cost-effective, and excellent audio source. 

I'm the kind of guy who will purchase the BDP-1 if it outperforms other options.

Absolutely correct on the first part  :thumb: But not entire true about "less money than a new CDP or BDP-1.". If done right and all inclusive mods on MM...its actually more expensive therefore BDP-1 is a better and cost effective option.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jul 2011, 05:53 pm »
PC's and Laptops are very noisy environments as well as multi-task oriented.

james

SHV

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jul 2011, 07:16 pm »
I bought my BDP-1 on a push the "buy button" whim.  It sat around for a while until  finally hooked it up.  I was pretty clueless about how to use it but now it's the primary source.  I thought about upgrading my CD player to a BCD-1, now after using the BDA/BDP combination for a few weeks, that purchase no longer seems relevant.

Steve

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #16 on: 10 Jul 2011, 07:15 am »

james
Yet you require your customers to have one on to control the BDP...

werd

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2011, 09:51 am »

nope, i use the bdp navigator all the time. More than i expected too.

larevoj

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:04 am »

james

I agree with James on noise generated in MM.

An example of what I have done to improve the MM SQ is by increasing the RAM, purchase an asynchronous  USB to S/PDIF converter, purchase a third party software player, have the MM on an isolation platform, use a good USB & Firewire cable, use a good BNC cable to BDA-1 and replace the supply to a linear PSU. There are more can be done but the combine cost of the above have already far exceeded the cost of BDP-1.

IMO the BDP-1 is a straight forward, easy to use and superior platform to stream hi-rez versus a MM. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2011, 10:45 am »

Hi,

That brings up a good point and one I should be clearer on.  :duh:

The wireless computer or interface used by the customer is ONLY used for CONTROL of the ATTACHED DRIVES on the BDP-1 - it is not the source of the digital files and is completely out of the circuit when it comes to processing the digital data :thumb:

james