my impressions of the Van Alstine T-DAC

rickweed

« on: 11 Apr 2004, 02:37 am »
Hello all,

Frank Van Alstine was kind enough to loan me his T-DAC and the Omegastar DAC, current model, for evaluation.  Please keep in mind that I am new to this, so forgive me if I occassionally use some hi end terminology incorrectly.  I will try and be as simple and straightforward as possible.  

Although the Omegastar is quite good and has glowing reviews, the T-DAC is a horse of another color.  With my system, which consists of Frank's T-7SLR Preamp, Fet Valve 550 EXR Amp, and a pair of his Biro speakers, I found the T-DAC gave me musical reproduction that was way beyond what I expected.  Now granted, it didn't, to me anyway, make a huge difference in badly recorded material, but when the material was well recorded, I was brought to tears, literally, on some selections.  I listen to mainly jazz such as Karrin Allyson, Sonny Rollins, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, and others, with a bit of selected country and bluegrass listening too.  Oh I have plenty of rock, but most is not that well recorded in my opinion.  The ultimate test to me was Loreena McKinnet, and with the T-DAC, her voice and music floated in front of me, light, but with such detail and pleasing accuracy of the instruments.  This statement would apply equally as well to me other well recorded material, such as the breathy, mesmerising Norah Jones, and the exquisite precussion of Max Roach on Saxaphone Collosus.  I swear I could her Sonny Rollins' tonge against the reed.  I know I could hear fingers plucking acoustic bass notes and picks attacking mondolin strings.  It just amazes me that this quality is available for a fairly reasonable amount of money.  I would not hesitate whatsoever to recommend Frank's Fet Valve components, sight unseen or "ear unheard", for that matter.  He is a gentleman, and goes out of his way to educate and show that you don't have to spend a King's Ransom to enjoy great sound.  Is there better?  I imagine so, but at what price?  Beyond a certain point, again in my opinion, it becomes a matter of diminished returns anyway, or bragging rights.  I'm simply sold on this one of a kind straight shooter who places quality and service over making the quick buck.  Of course all of this is only my opinion, and I am not out to draw a line in the sand or promote argument, only to say that I, as one person, am very satisfied with Van Alstine.  As for everyone else, your ears will tell you the truth as they hear it.  Good listening to all, and Frank, if you happen to read this, "Thanks again."

Rick

TV Man

« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2004, 02:50 am »
I had an Omegastar DAC in my system for over a year and agree with you about vanAlsine's gear. It's very good stuff.

Happy listening!

vrs

• http://mikrotec.com
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2004, 04:34 am »
I have both Omega star DAC, and the newer R version T DAC.

The Omega star DAC is connected to the Dish net work receiver through the Toslink  to Digital Co axial cable adaptor.

Though the audio signal from the Dish is compressed, the TV audio significantly enjoyable, With better bass and dynamics.

The Transcendence DAC, if the aim is listening to music and not perpetual evaluation of equip is extremely enjoyable.,but it is expensive

The fet valve amplifier, my old fet valve Pre amplifier or the omega star preamplifiers and power amps though may not have audiophile jewelers grade parts such as auric caps, sonic caps, hexfreds, riken resistors or what ever, they proved to be very reliable, and very musical as the circuits are very designed.

Even the old frank Van alstine equipment I, purchased before it is Known as AVA- purchased from Jensen’s stereo shop is still working and still musical. I replaced vacuum tubes for super pas pre amplifier(1989) only once.
Even my 19 year old haffler and Dynamo equip built by frank is still working and simply wont quit.

Dan Kolton

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2004, 01:27 am »
This is a hearty second to the praises sung by others to both Frank and his equipment.  I have the same stuff as vrs except for old B & W 801 speakers with crossovers modified per Frank.  I've not found better electronics at any price.

dvb

These DACs are expensive!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:36 am »
I am surprised at how expensive these DACs are, coming from the maker of the Long Horn Green Grado cartridge and other great value components.  The "value" DACs seem to be elsewhere, with Ack and Nixon.

I guess there is a good reason for the cost, and the sound bears  will bear out the cost. Too bad I'll have to wait until we "sell the ranch" to hear one!

vrs

• http://mikrotec.com
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2004, 04:55 am »
I too feelAVADAC , both Omega Star and  the T .DAC are expensive and priced more than the pre amps . I do not know the reason., but I waited for some time-- I purchased a used T DAC.
I think the pre amps either T5 or Omega star are great value for the money.