Nuforce DAC-9 vs. Modded EE?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Nuforce DAC-9 vs. Modded EE?
« on: 3 Jul 2011, 07:53 pm »
A friend was highly impressed with the Nuforce DAC-9 at Newport THE Show, especially its gain and versatility.  My current favorite DAC is the modded EE (seems to equal anything up to at around $20k).     

Anyone compare them? 

Ern Dog

Re: Nuforce DAC-9 vs. Modded EE?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2012, 01:53 pm »
I have the same question.  Anybody?

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2012, 02:42 pm »
My current favorite DAC is the modded EE (seems to equal anything up to at around $20k).   

Uhh, I've owned that DAC with Bolder modifications and enjoyed it quite a bit, but that statement is ludicrous...  Which DACs in the $5k to $19,999 range does it seem to equal so I can avoid them? 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2012, 06:30 pm »
You didn't own the particular modded EE DAC I auditioned against two other sources at 2011 CES.  About five people in the room.  One of the other sources was my own since 2002, possibly earlier.  Everyone in the room agreed the EE beat my source and the other DAC, a highly regarded $15k piece I agreed not to identify.  The confidentiality agreement was totally ethical and common business practice.  I preferred my source over the Wadia 27x, about $10k IIRC.         

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2012, 07:51 pm »
James, I very much like most of what you say (and I'm a speaker guy - so blow me off), but with all the advancements in DACs in recent years it's dangerous to compare today's SOTA with any 10 year old stuff.

saisunil

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2012, 08:41 pm »
One could easily enjoy a NOS chip based DAC more than a current chip offering but that does not make it better for example ...

DACs are more like computers ... they get cheaper and hopefully better every year ... my experience has been that some of the most recent high end offerings have been very impressive ... that said one could easily enjoy and cheaper and/or older more than newer and/or most expensive DAC.

Cheers

Gopher

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2012, 08:53 pm »
You didn't own the particular modded EE DAC I auditioned against two other sources at 2011 CES.  About five people in the room.  One of the other sources was my own since 2002, possibly earlier.  Everyone in the room agreed the EE beat my source and the other DAC, a highly regarded $15k piece I agreed not to identify.  The confidentiality agreement was totally ethical and common business practice.  I preferred my source over the Wadia 27x, about $10k IIRC.       

James,

Who did the modifications on your DAC?  I was only aware of a small number of people (other then DIYers) offering modifications for it.

motorcitym3

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2012, 11:02 pm »
James,

Who did the modifications on your DAC?  I was only aware of a small number of people (other then DIYers) offering modifications for it.

Maybe Wayne took my stage 3+ modded EE minimax dac to the audition?!?!? :scratch:  If so, I could see it hanging with higher caliber dacs.  :wink:

Ern Dog

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2012, 05:06 am »
Can anyone offer first hand experience with the two DAC's?