Older Ribbon Tweeter

WntrMute2

Older Ribbon Tweeter
« on: 2 Jul 2011, 11:00 pm »
I have a pair of HT2-Tls with the older round ribbon tweeters. A few audiophile friends were over last weekend with questions about the design if a ribbon tweeter with a round "waveguide".  I was unable to shed any light on this.  Anyone out there care to educate me?  I'm also wondering if I can upgrade the older model to the RAAL tweeter without buying new speakers?  Jim...?

kip_

Re: Older Ribbon Tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2011, 12:12 am »
Sure, if you're willing to pay for a new tweeter, new baffle, and new crossover

WntrMute2

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2011, 12:38 am »
Helpful .  Nice speaker stands BTW.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2011, 02:36 am »
I have a pair of HT2-Tls with the older round ribbon tweeters. A few audiophile friends were over last weekend with questions about the design if a ribbon tweeter with a round "waveguide".  I was unable to shed any light on this.  Anyone out there care to educate me?  I'm also wondering if I can upgrade the older model to the RAAL tweeter without buying new speakers?  Jim...?

Wave guides are becoming increasingly popular.  In theory, they extend the useful lower end of a tweeter, and produce "controlled directivity."   There's all kind of theory on this, but it's results that count, and I haven't been able to listen to one of these applications in my own room.  But I hope to borrow a pair of the most highly respected brand of such speakers soon and will see if there's anything to it.  In any event, you can't retrofit LCY tweeter HT2's with the RAAL.  As the previous post indicated, you would indeed need a new baffle and crossover.  But don't lose any sleep over that--the differences between the LCY and RAAL versions are subtle, and not everyone would prefer the RAAL.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2011, 02:58 am »
Well, actually, we could do an upgrade.  We wouldn't need to replace the front baffle.  It turns out that the LCY has a 110mm round faceplate and the RAAL has a 110mm square faceplate.  We would have to take the cabinets in, re-route the front baffle and replace both the tweeters and the crossovers.  So it would be expensive, but it can be done.  As to whether or not it would be worth it, that is a question I can't answer.  I probably wouldn't if the speakers were mine.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2011, 03:05 am »
Well, maybe not a "new" baffle, but it would have to be modified.  If you figure in shipping both ways, a complete new crossover, the increased tweeter cost, and the cost of rerouting the baffle, you would be way further into diminishing returns than I would ever want to go.  I keep thinking of a pair of LCY HT2's that I heard in Boston a couple of years ago.  They certainly sounded better than any version of the HT2 I've had in my room, and that must have been due to the careful room treatments the owner had inversted in.  They made a much more dramatic improvement than a tweeter transplant would. 

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2011, 04:47 am »
Agreed.  Like I said, I wouldn't bother.

- Jim

WntrMute2

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2011, 10:05 am »
Thanks gentlemen,  good to know, I probably won't pursue it, but I was curious.  Both about the possibility and more importantly, about the theory or mechanics of the ribbon behind the round opening.

kip_

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2011, 05:15 pm »
Helpful .  Nice speaker stands BTW.

My gallery is out of date, I'm using these now: http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-NF24C-Satellite-Speaker-Stands/dp/B002HDYD88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309713276&sr=8-1

I took those pictures before I moved the system into my office - those were taken in my old apartment and I didn't have the room to do a proper setup.

OgOgilby

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2011, 05:01 pm »
Well, maybe not a "new" baffle, but it would have to be modified.  If you figure in shipping both ways, a complete new crossover, the increased tweeter cost, and the cost of rerouting the baffle, you would be way further into diminishing returns than I would ever want to go.  I keep thinking of a pair of LCY HT2's that I heard in Boston a couple of years ago.  They certainly sounded better than any version of the HT2 I've had in my room, and that must have been due to the careful room treatments the owner had inversted in.  They made a much more dramatic improvement than a tweeter transplant would.

:oops: thanks Dennis...

-Greg

WntrMute2 - the "old" LCY is a very good tweeter, but I was also tempted by the "latest greatest" RAAL tweeter. Jim and Dennis convinced me it wasn't worth it and I think they are correct. There are easier and less expensive ways to improve the sound without messing with your HT2-TL's.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2011, 08:17 pm »
Probably too much paranoia about the tweeters.  I am perfectly happy with my present LCY tweeter and find it almost identical to the G2 which I loved.  At least for Wntr he could drive them over to the shop for the mod.  I'm sure RAAL is the way to go with a new pair, but retrofits would be too much hassle for the possible gain.  Enjoy your LCY.  In fact, come on over this weekend and hear my new amps which should be here by Friday and my modded EE dac with Bybee Rail power supply which should be here tomorrow on my HT2 TL's.  While the amps need plenty of break-in, I'm betting they will sing pretty good out of the box.  Only about 50 hours on them at the builders.