70's Japanese pressings Vs 180 gram reissues

simoon

70's Japanese pressings Vs 180 gram reissues
« on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:13 pm »
I have many Japanese pressings from the 70's of many progressive LPs (Yes, ELP, Genesis, Gentle Giant, PFM, etc).

At the time, these were (and still are) considered the best pressings of the time. They were pressed on virgin vinyl on the best equipment available. They are also heavier than the standard releases, but I'm not sure if they are 180 gram or not.

My copies are pristine and dead quiet.

Now of course, 3 decades or more later, many of these are being reissued on 180 gram.

I am going to sample one or two to compare to my Japanese pressings, but does anyone else have any opinions on one version compared to the other?

Should I expect them to be any better than my Japanese pressings?

Wayner

Re: 70's Japanese pressings Vs 180 gram reissues
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2011, 07:14 pm »
I have some early MOFI pressings that I believe where produced by JVC (Japanese Victor Company) at the time like Pink Floyd's DSOTM, Steve Miller's Greatest Hits and several others.

I have a couple of new MOFIs but I am not sure of their pressing location. I think all the mastering is done here in the States.

I don't have any other Japanese pressings, tho I do wonder about my CBS collection of Andreas Vollenweider LPs that I consider true audiophile recordings and they also prove that CBS and Columbia Records should not be confused at all.

As far as some of the re-dos go, it's a hit and a miss between them. Friday Music has been remastering the Yes catalog and they have been very successful with 90125, Drama and Relayer (tho maybe a bit "brite"). Close to the edge is so-so (they even re-did it) and The Yes Album is OK.

The box set of Genesis (1970 to 1975), done by Rhino is spectacular, with every record sounding way better then the original. The set includes Trespass, Nursery Crimes, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Highly, highly recommended.

Wayner  8)

TONEPUB

Re: 70's Japanese pressings Vs 180 gram reissues
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2011, 08:29 pm »
It's a case by case on each one...

As for the Rhino Genesis box (and I've got one), it's pretty good and definitely a good value for the money, but not as good as low number, early stamper British versions of these records.  But those will cost you a lot more $$....