rm 10 Big pop

piksnik

rm 10 Big pop
« on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:51 pm »
Hey guys I was playing my rm 10 the other day when there was a huge popping sound then silence in one channel. Should I plug it in again or send it in to Roger? swapping the tubes did not seem to help. Amp is still under warranty.
Thanks !!!!

Clio09

Re: rm 10 Big pop
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2011, 04:43 pm »
Have you looked inside it to see what might have caused the pop? Sounds like a blown capacitor, but only way to tell would be to remove the bottom plate to see. The circuit is point-to-point wired and not complex. If you can't tell what caused the pop a competent local tech should be able to diagnose the issue. Based on the results of the diagnosis you can then determine if Roger needs to repair it or the local tech can.

rbwalt

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2011, 01:56 pm »
e-mail roger and tell him what is going on with it and get his advice. after all he did design it and will know in a second what the problem is. this might help. turn it over take the bottom plate off and check the fuses. you might have just blown a fuse. another idea is that you had a lint short in one of the out put tubes. take a pencil and give each tube a good rap and make sure they are properly seated in the sockets. turn it back on and see it it pops again. i would take the speaker wires off the amp first before you turn it on again.

hope this helps some. my guess is it was a lint short.

r.

pehare

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2011, 03:17 pm »
same thing happened to me awhile back when I tried a quad of the reissue Gold Lions.  after a few minutes of music - loud pop & left channel dead.  output fuse for left channel blew, thankfully.  changed the fuse - power up, all is fine & a few minutes later same scenerio.  changed fuse again & went back to my Ei's & all has been fine for months now.  sent back the GL's:)  my bet is you shorted an EL84 & blew a fuse.  your owners manual covers this & how to change a fuse - they're accessible right on top the chassis - easy - just press in slightly when turning the fuse cover counterclockwise to remove the cover.    keep a couple matched backup EL84's around & enjoy it's a great amp.

rbwalt

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2011, 03:47 pm »
where did you get your GL's from? i will only buy my amp tubes from roger because he tests and grades better than anyone else( my opinion) and knows which are best for his amps.

good luck!

r.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2011, 02:28 pm »
I trust you got your amp working again. It's pretty bulletproof as long as you use the right fuses (160 MA, High Breaking, Ceramic) We have them. Do not use tuning fuses. They are the worst design fuses I have seen for protecting tubes. They actually build the fuses with a teflon sleeve which reduces the ability to break the high current that flows when a tube shorts.  I call them the "UN-FUSE".

The jury is still out on the Genelex EL-84. I don't recommend it for the RM-10. Of all the Genelex reissues I can only recommend the  KT-88 and KT-77 and that is only when we test it. 

banquo446

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:44 pm »
For what it's worth, I've been using the reissues for 5 months or so and they sound pretty good. I got mine from McShane. A couple of days back, I just happened to switch back to the stock tubes. They sound good as well--and are quieter. So, they stay in.