The ten most significant amplifires of all time

PRELUDE

The ten most significant amplifires of all time
« on: 29 Jun 2011, 09:40 pm »
http://www.avguide.com/review/the-ten-most-significant-amplifiers-all-time
The list is made by ABSOLUTE SOUND staff source and I thought it would be interesting to post it here to see what we [consumers]think of it not only the magazines or reviewers.
So,please join in and vote with your own 10 most favorite amps or simply,are you agree with the list or disagree?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: The ten most significant amplifires of all time
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2011, 10:14 pm »
http://www.avguide.com/review/the-ten-most-significant-amplifiers-all-time
The list is made by ABSOLUTE SOUND staff source and I thought it would be interesting to post it here to see what we [consumers]think of it not only the magazines or reviewers.
So,please join in and vote with your own 10 most favorite amps or simply,are you agree with the list or disagree?

1. Bryston 2B
2. Bryston 3B
3. Bryston 4B
4. Bryston 5B
5. Bryston 6B
6. Bryston 7B
7. Bryston 8B
8. Bryston 9B
9. Bryston 14B
10. Bryston 28B

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

audio.bill

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm »
James, you neglected to include all of the latest SST2 versions!  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2011, 10:41 pm »
I think the list defines the 10 most significant amps of all times, not necessarily the very elite.  I don't see the ST-70, the NAD 3020, and some of the Marantz units mentioned as anything but landmark designs in the history of audio.  Designs that have stood the test of time (and popularity), and have advanced the art at various price levels.  I find the comments on the link about how much agreement there is among long-time reviewers to be a confirmation of the impact that each of these units has had on the hobby, not something to be suspicious of.

Is there better stuff out there?  Of course!  But these amps cover much of the past 50 years.

My .02.

'brick

JP78

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm »
Mildly OT, but just too good to pass up. In re: to the article and John Iverson:
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=104043.0

Wow. This is the stuff audio conspiracy wet dreams are made of.  :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:06 pm »
Seriously the most significant amp for me and it solidified me and my passion for all things audio was the Dynaco 400 amplifier :thumb:

James

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:07 pm »
1. Bryston 2B
2. Bryston 3B
3. Bryston 4B
4. Bryston 5B
5. Bryston 6B
6. Bryston 7B
7. Bryston 8B
8. Bryston 9B
9. Bryston 14B
10. Bryston 28B

:thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:14 pm »
Imo, the 4B (any version) should be on those lists.

PRELUDE

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:19 pm »
Well,I think they should not use the term all the time if the very last years are not included.
And why they have to forget some very fine LUXMANS? like the L100

PRELUDE

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:32 pm »
Imo, the 4B (any version) should be on those lists.
I was just going to post it but you got me on this one Dave. :thumb:
For all this years that I tried to help the friends,if some one came to me and ask me,I am looking for a power amp to be powerfull,drive 90% of the speakers of the market,good sound and build,reliable and price right.My answer is 4B.

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:36 pm »
I was just going to post it but you got me on this one Dave. :thumb:
For all this years that I tried to help the friends,if some one came to me and ask me,I am looking for a power amp to be powerfull,drive 90% of the speakers of the market,good sound and build,reliable and price right.My answer is 4B.

haha ok. And that's "sound" advice! :D

PRELUDE

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm »
1. Bryston 2B
2. Bryston 3B
3. Bryston 4B
4. Bryston 5B
5. Bryston 6B
6. Bryston 7B
7. Bryston 8B
8. Bryston 9B
9. Bryston 14B
10. Bryston 28B

How about the ones that we do not know James :thumb: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2011, 04:49 am »
Well I think whaat they meant was what amplifiers set new standards that changed the way folks thought about amp design.
At least that is the way i would think if asked the question.
Since i do not know the history of amplifier design, i could not begin to answer the question.

A second way to look at the question would be what amplifiers made the biggest splash in the audiophile world over time from an enthusiasts point of view. And engendered copycat designs.

A third way was what amplifiers have the longest track record, and the greatest enthusiast share of the market. And are still in use by percentage built to percentage still in use by audiophiles.
This last one i can guess at. As it is clear McIntosh is still in there. So is Audio Research, and naturally Bryston.
Adcom might make the top ten here.
Others might be there like Mark Levinson, Krell, Belles, Conrad Johnson, Marantz and many others..
The group which would NOT be there are all those Japanese receivers made in the 1970s... (ecept mysteriously, the Marantz ones..)

larevoj

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2011, 05:50 am »
Bravo to Bryston Amplifiers!  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:32 am »
I think the 4B is probably a one of the most significant amps ever made. Perfected with the new sq series amps. Its not a refined as the higher end Bryston amps but it more versatile than any of them. Aside from sounding great its a great pro road amp for PA use or a bass guitar with the xlr or 1/4 jack use. Its not that cheap but not that expensive either. The price makes it possible for all use - in home and on the road. Its just a great amp.

vegasdave

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2011, 01:30 pm »
I think the 4B is probably a one of the most significant amps ever made. Perfected with the new sq series amps. Its not a refined as the higher end Bryston amps but it more versatile than any of them. Aside from sounding great its a great pro road amp for PA use or a bass guitar with the xlr or 1/4 jack use. Its not that cheap but not that expensive either. The price makes it possible for all use - in home and on the road. Its just a great amp.

I agree. It has many uses.

sfraser

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:13 pm »
The 4B for sure.

But i would think Carver should be listed as well. Bob Carver  certainly caused a "buzz" (no pun intended) in the industry through out the 70's with the PL products and later with his self named "transfer function" magnetic field line of amps. And also the Sunfire series in the late 90's early 2000's.

Ooops! i actually went back and read he original post! I see Bob is mentioned a couple of time! :oops:

rmurray

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2011, 04:07 pm »
 Yes , I remember Carver's(I think) 200W Phase Linear amp ushered me into this quest I pursue to day . My 4B st is that and more. :bowdown:

Robert D

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm »
Mine   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Robert  :D

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm »
Yes , I remember Carver's(I think) 200W Phase Linear amp ushered me into this quest I pursue to day . My 4B st is that and more. :bowdown:

That was the Carver 400 - http://www.google.com/search?q=phase+linear+400&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yQUNTuW9IY-RgQeH7fDMDQ&ved=0CDgQsAQ

I had a Carver 300