Speaker cabinet builder in the NY area?

JDUBS

Speaker cabinet builder in the NY area?
« on: 27 Jun 2011, 03:12 am »
Guys

Does anyone know of anyone I can contract to build me a pair of Klipsch LaScala bass bins in the NY area?  There used to be a company that advertised on Craigslist that makes speaker cabinets, but I can't seem to find the ad they were running.

Thanks all.

-Jim

face

jdoris

Re: Speaker cabinet builder in the NY area?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm »
http://www.taylorspeakers.com/

A couple of hours up 87 from NYC, in Philmont.  Lee builds the boxes for North Creek, does lovely work, and is fun to deal with. 

John

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2011, 01:27 pm »
http://www.taylorspeakers.com/

A couple of hours up 87 from NYC, in Philmont.  Lee builds the boxes for North Creek, does lovely work, and is fun to deal with. 

John

Seconded. Here are some sub enclosures he finished and then I built...

Anand.

Bemopti123

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2011, 03:08 pm »
Zalytron, I asked once for a commission and they declined.

Taylor custom cabinets are good but if they are complex they can be quite pricey.  I wish there were people who did good flatpacks and you could assemble it on your own.

hdspeakerman

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2011, 09:44 pm »
You might check with a gentleman named Roman Carpenter over on the Parts Express forum.  I believe he is a cabnet maker but might be someone to talk with about speaker cabinets.
Howard

face

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm »
You might check with a gentleman named Roman Carpenter over on the Parts Express forum.  I believe he is a cabnet maker but might be someone to talk with about speaker cabinets.
Howard
I've seen his work in person, he does an excellent job: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/member.php?u=4996

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2011, 12:35 am »
http://www.zalytron.com/

The best around NYC, LI area. great work, but not inexpensive. Drivers as well.
But but what about GR research and his guys ?????

charles

charles

sonicboom

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2011, 02:32 am »
I've seen his work in person, he does an excellent job: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/member.php?u=4996

I'll second this recommendation.  Roman does excellent work, is a great all around guy and a very knowledgeable speaker designer as well.  I will be commissioning him in the near future for a pair of midsized cabs.

gprro

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2011, 01:39 am »
Zalytron, I asked once for a commission and they declined.

Taylor custom cabinets are good but if they are complex they can be quite pricey.  I wish there were people who did good flatpacks and you could assemble it on your own.

Flatpacks you say? As soon as I finish my Cad/Cam class this week, I'll have full access to an 5x10 pro cnc router  :thumb:... Im thinking I'd like to join the fray of builders over in the GR circle. Hopefully in the next year or so, I'll have my own custom design under way. May even investigate getting my own circle here. For now I'll hold on to amature, but with some cool tools status. Give me a couple weeks and I'll be under way. Finishing a couple builds of my own, but I'll offer cheap work for a little, so I can figure out the time and efforts involved...

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2011, 02:06 am »
I say join the AVSForum DIY Audio and get ErichH to do a design.  He has a local CNC shop doing flatpacks.  You just need some others to by into it.

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2011, 02:10 am »
Roman as was mentioned here is very responsive.  He emailed me with quotes and work samples within 2 days.  I say that his quote was quite a bargain!  Other people who run such things would charge almost 3-4X for what I asked him to do.  I am quite tempted at having him do something for me....for my 604-8Ks. 

JDUBS

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:25 pm »
Guys, I wanted to follow-up on this.  After doing some more research, I'm going with Roman.  I met him today and he showed me some of his work...really impressive as are his prices.

He's going to help me with two h-frame OBs (2x Rythmik 12" drivers per) and finishing my Unity horns.

Can't wait!  Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Jim

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:47 pm »
If I had seen this earlier, I would have said to use Roman as well.  He does some work for me and always does a fantastic job.  His full cabinet buids are incredible. 

kbuzz3

« Reply #14 on: 7 Aug 2011, 03:16 pm »
On a related note, i have some very large custom cabinets in storage and built for some pricey vintage drivers-also stored separately. I am looking for someone to install the drivers and "test"/review the speakers for sound quality,  power recommendations, potential cross-over upgrades etc.  A pair of custom grills might be a good idea as well.  Any idea if any of the folks mentioned in this thread might be interested in this project?   

The cabinets are quite large and thus not amenable to shipping.  The original speaker designer is "out of the biz" and located quite far away.

Sorry if this is considered a hijack, i will take down a repost in the speaker or vintage area if need be.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions, recommendations etc.

JDUBS

« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:26 am »
Guys, I'm stoked.  My speakers will be delivered on Tuesday!  Roman did a REALLY excellent job on the construction and I couldn't be happier with how they turned out....now I just need to build me some software-based crossovers and let 'em rip!

-Jim

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:14 am »
Very nice!

TomS

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2011, 11:28 am »
Nicely done! I'd highly recommend some No-Rez in there too.

JDUBS

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2011, 02:06 pm »
Thanks guys!  Roman cut the No-Rez for me and I will install it as soon as I wire up the woofers.

-Jim