How about posting pictures of your treated listening room?

Housteau

« Reply #40 on: 9 May 2004, 02:23 pm »
There is nothing in my system that I would consider as new gear.  Everything has some age on it.  Certain audio components seem to age better than others, such as tube power amps.  I read somewhere that the reason for this is that it takes years and years for the transformers to burn in and really come into their own.  So I suppose that this is true.  

Originally I was using the Audio Research M-100's, because Infinity used them while designing the RS1b speaker and I thought that they would be a good match for mine.  However, that was before I had my dedicated room and whatever magic they had was lost in my previous set-up.  I went through a few others then settled upon the VTL Delux 100 Mono's (EL-34's) by the time my room was finished.  I had read several positive reviews by those that had used my same Infinity model and was impressed with what they had to say.  Only a few pairs were ever made and fortunately I knew someone willing to let some go.  Mine are modified with adjustable bias settings for each tube and plug-in components to tailor the sound if I choose.

I have an older Bryston amp that does what Bryston does best on the bass.

My pre-amp is an original Audio Research SP-9, but modified and tweaked placing it into a different class of component.

My speakers are the RS1b's from Infinity.  However, as you may have already guessed, they have been modified.  Each of the midrange drive units have been rebuild and modified improving their performance over the originals.  The external crossover has also been modified adding an external power supply and more bass control.

About the only components that are left stock are my sources, an original Musical Fidelity X-ray CD player and an Oracle of Delphi turn table with an SME arm.

Dave

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #41 on: 9 May 2004, 05:42 pm »
Housteau , quote...."However, if I am given the chance to do it all over again armed with the knowledge from these various forums and discussions, I may opt for a different arrangement." ....If you could do it over again....what size would your room be now ?? The reason I ask is that in the future , when I move (who knows when?) , I would like to have a room built for 2 channel only. Would be using large 3 way speakers , so I'd love a large room....but how big is large ?? Lot's of things to check ! Thanks !! :)

Housteau

« Reply #42 on: 9 May 2004, 10:23 pm »
As I had mentioned, first off I would want to preserve all the benefits I enjoy now with the long wall placement, notably the wide separation between the speakers and a lot of space between them and the side walls.  A new room also assumes completely new and different speakers and assorted gear.  So, I think a minimal width of 19-20' would be ok.  

One other big consideration that I have is on where I place my listening seat.  That is determined by my equilateral triangle listening set-up.  At present that places me right against the rear wall which is common when using the longer wall placement.    By aiming my speakers into a longer room I would want to be certain that my listening position would not be located too close to the center of that room in a deep null, or too close to that rear wall were reflections could interfere with the presentation (reflections and other nasties from sitting right against that wall do not seem to harm as much as being within several feet of it).

In my room now my triangle places me sitting approx. 15' from the front wall. What would change that it is the distance behind my speakers to the front wall and I don't see that number changing all that much.  Basically I see my existing listening triangle being uprooted and placed within this new room.

Considering all of that, a room length of say 30' would then place me sitting right in the middle of that room and would not be very good at all.  So, I figure that a room length of around 24' would place 8' or so behind me and have me sitting close to 2 thirds away from the front wall.

I guess that the dimensions would be something like 19-20' x 24' x 10' (an average for the 12' cathedral ceiling).  I wouldn't want to loose the sense of height and air that I get with the one I have now.  Also, the use of nonparallel surfaces seems to help minimizing the use of absorption and diffusion needed for reflections.  To take that a bit further, if my rear wall was say adjoining the main house, I would consider building a double wall there for more sound insulation.  That inner wall could then be angled, possibly built with a peak in the middle and dropping off to meet the outer wall at the sides.

Once the hard surfaces were set, I believe I would plan on following Ethan's advice (Real Traps) and work to control the bass frequencies as in his tutorials.  From there I would move to the higher frequencies and sound stage control where needed.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #43 on: 10 May 2004, 02:39 am »
Thanks Dave ! Lots of good ideas !! :)

Horizons

• Restricted
« Reply #44 on: 20 May 2004, 12:26 am »
Quote from: F-100
Here is a picture of my treated room. The acoustic foam is 3" thick. (Thanks to John Casler for providing the info on them).

I'm looking for some 3" foam. Can you provide any details?

Thanks.

jgubman

sch

« Reply #46 on: 27 May 2004, 04:31 pm »
My room (13x20) is a HT and a 2 channel system. I use it 80% for Music and 20% for HT. If you check in my gallery the first picture, you'll notice that there is a screen (100") and 3 A.Gallo's speaker for the HT. Behind the orange chair in the sweet spot is the main sofa (not in the pictures) and on top of the sofa at the ceiling a pair of B&Ws for surrounds.The rack for the HT is behind a absorber/diffusor on the third picture. I simply slide the abs/diff and I have access to the rack behind.
My 2 channel system is simple:
ONIX Tube Amp (45W/channel)
AH! Njoe Tjoeb CD player (upsampler version)
ONIX REFs 1 speakers.
Once I started treating the room with bass absorbers and diffusors (both "sky-line" and RQD types), the image and transparency of the music started to improve. I'm planning to keep toying with this DIY acoustic treatments. I have to DIY a lot living in SouthAmerica.  :D
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=320

Housteau

« Reply #47 on: 30 May 2004, 07:13 am »
How is your Njoe Tjoeb CD player?  What other CD player would you compare it to?  I have noticed the add for it in Stereophile and was curious.

Dave

sch

« Reply #48 on: 31 May 2004, 02:57 am »
Hi Dave...I've found my Njoe Tjoeb  a very detailed and musical CD in my system. The music's image is open and the separation between instruments is great. This is my first 2 channel system and the other players I've had (Toshiba 9200, Pioneer Elite) were too "digital" the music and specially voices, sound more "human" to my ears.
Santiago

chino

Need help
« Reply #49 on: 8 Jun 2004, 07:17 pm »
WOW! You guys have really good rooms!  :oops: Here's mine done recently. Im new at this. I dont know what Im doing  :mrgreen: so appreciate any advice/comment. Im going to get two more bass traps thats for sure.
[/img]

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #50 on: 29 Jun 2004, 03:03 am »
Just added some 4" wedge foam (purchased at half price from Foambymail off Ebay) to my side walls.  I only have a few 1"x1"x4" tiles left, so I will need to order more.  

After putting up the foam, things are more clear and precise.   :D  :D

BTW, without the flash, the walls really don't look thagt pink and bright.  :lol:  :lol:

George

mcrespo71

« Reply #51 on: 29 Jun 2004, 03:15 am »
I must qualify as INSANE, but I think George's room looks AWESOME!!!!  Who the hell needs art when you can have a beautifully acoustically treated room like George's!

Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #52 on: 29 Jun 2004, 03:18 am »
Mike,

Thanks.

I am lucky to have such an understanding wife.   :notworthy:

Hopefully I will have "most" of the room treatment done by the time you guys come up.

George

jgubman

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jun 2004, 03:28 am »
Yikes, they're blowing it out on eBay, just picked up some extra.

Thanks for the heads-up George!

hifitommy

f-100, i would consider for your wall
« Reply #54 on: 1 Aug 2004, 07:18 pm »
http://home.comcast.net/~vaultusa/DIAMONDS.jpg an arrangement like this for the foam panels.  a bit more visually pleasing, i think, and just as sonically effective.