Turntable speed

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
Turntable speed
« on: 26 Jun 2011, 10:08 pm »
Okay musicologists and audiophiles. I have a question.  If ones turntable's, or for that matter my CD player's, speed is dependent on line frequency, how much can line frequency shift before it is noticable?

Now on turntables that have their own built in independent (of line voltage and frequency) frequency generator on board - this does not matter.  But on an older simple turn table with a synchrous motor, line frequency change = RPM change.  Even on a turntable with electronic drive, if the juice coming from the generator does not have a totally independent frequency generator, this could get screwed up too.

The reason I ask?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43532031/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/

and yes the writer of this particular article is technically clueless, but the 750,000+ other hits on Google on this subject means this is not a late April Fool's joke.
Ken
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2011, 09:52 am by KenSeger »

Berndt

Re: Turntable speed
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2011, 04:13 am »
Time to make that power supply controller to adjust cycles.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2011, 04:44 am »
I would think that a .0038% speed increase (based on 20 minutes/year) would hardly be noticeable, though I'm sure some would claim to hear it. But think about it - radio stations that play music 24/7 would have time to play one more side of a record.

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2011, 02:29 am »
Hey!

Whew! Good thing I have PS Audio PowerPlant P600 feeding my turntable and the system!  :?

Anyway, if this is true than is going to be suck if they do.  I find this idea strange after 100+ years of 60 hz :roll:

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb: