Doppler effect?

oz_audio_todd

Doppler effect?
« on: 26 Jun 2011, 05:36 am »
I have just read about the doppler effect of 2 way speakers, vs 3 ways.
For those that dont know, apparently the larger throws of bass notes will muddy the sound in the mid-range while the same driver is trying to do both frequencies.
Is this a real problem and will a well designed 3 way always be better than a well designed 2 way because of it? Does anybody know/ heard/ measured this? and if you add subs at a certain frequency does it remove the issue?
Thanks Guys

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
Re: Doppler effect?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2011, 06:13 am »
Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a sound wave for an observer moving relative to the source or vice versa. I'm not sure how it would be applicable to a stationary loudspeaker and stationary listener. Could you elaborate.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2011, 12:24 pm »
Paul Klipsch studied doppler distortion in speakers.   You should be able to find his papers on the web.

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2011, 02:50 pm »
IME, there is a multitude of things that will muddle your midrange and midbass before theoretical doppler effect of a particular driver.

Room interactions, speaker coupling, equipment isolation, etc, etc, etc, are all things that will cause negative effects on bass and midrange if not properly taken care of.

I have Danny's Line Source speakers which are two ways. It has taken a considerable amount of room treatments and isolating/coupling devices to tighten up my bass; but each change has never failed to make a difference.

If there is a doppler effect I have yet to get to a point where it becomes the detracting factor. YMMV.

Davey

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2011, 03:04 pm »
If you Google on doppler distortion in loudspeakers you'll find many articles.

http://sound.westhost.com/doppler.htm

Dave.

rajesh

• Live & Let Live
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2011, 10:54 am »
Thank you for the link Dave, that was helpful.