Sax solo???

StereoNut

Sax solo???
« on: 24 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm »
Hello to all!

My first ever post in this circle.  I have picked up my tenor sax again for the first time in about 30 years!  Yes, my lips feel like chop meat after a few  short practice sessions, but I know if I stop and start again it will only be worse.  Hopefully, I will have the determination to keep playing...???

Anyway, I have been trying to teach myself the sax solo from "Jungleland" on Springsteen's Born to Run LP.  (Yes, this has been spurred on by Clarence Clemons' recent death.) I can play a good deal of it by ear, but when I try to play along with the CD things are off.  (I am guessing it's in a different key on the CD that what was in my brain!)  So, I have adjusted my playing to be in tune with the CD, but I have run into a problem.

If I try to match what Clemons plays, I eventually "run out of saxophone" in the top register to play the highest notes!  If I take it down a register, it gives me the room to fit all the notes in, but it doesn't sound like the same solo anymore.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
SN

richidoo

Re: Sax solo???
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:54 am »
He's playing notes above the mechanical range of the instrument by sheer chop strength. As your chops get stronger you'll be able to play above the horn. I think it is squeezing the reed tighter with your lips, but I'm just a trumpeter, what do I know. There are some good exercises for increasing your chop strength, PM me if interested, or take a sax lesson from your local music store. That will really get you pumped up if you have a teacher/friend encouraging you to work at it.

Playing along with the record is the best way to learn to play music. At first you notice how much more you need to practice to keep up with them, then when you can finally keep up, you realize how much finesse and subtlety they are using while you are just struggling to play the notes. Then when you can match the finesse you can start listening to the band playing behind you and really learn something about making music.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2011, 02:01 am »
Here's a link for altissimo fingerings for saxophone.  You may want to seek out a pro player for tips on getting this working for you and be aware that there are many fingerings listed to help play better in tune.  Good luck with this; it's a cool new world out there in the altissimo register.

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-altissimo.html

StereoNut

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2011, 01:31 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Richidoo: If "The Big Man" is actually playing those notes on "pure chops", I'm even more impressed than before with his playing.  My gut tells me no; the tone, clarity and strength of what he's playing up there seem to be way beyond what would be achievable by "willing them" out of the horn just with one's embouchure.  I think trumpeters because there instruments are so much different (brass vs. reed) than sax have that more readily available to them. Then again, I've been wrong before!  :lol: 

Blackmore: I honestly never heard of "altissimo" fingerings.  I will have to explore this further. Sounds like I have a LOT of practicing to do! :)