Focus after you take the picture.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Focus after you take the picture.
« on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm »
Wow, take a look at this article and then click on the link below it to try the new technology out:

To summarize the article, "Lytro", a start-up company has created a new type of camera that takes pictures that you can focus after the fact. So basically you point and shoot as fast as you want.  :o

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/06/22/auto.focus.camera/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

http://www.lytro.com/picture_gallery

Technology like that can make a photographer out of just about anybody.  :lol:
Bob

Pez

Re: Focus after you take the picture.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:10 pm »
It looks and sounds very cool. I was checking out the engadget article on it and it kinda blows my mind. Now the question is whether or not it takes a decent picture.

Also what does this camera look like? I can't seem to find any pictures of it. The cynic in me smells a scam of mass proportions.  :scratch:

nathanm

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:20 pm »
Cool!  If that can also work in reverse and be able to stack all the focus planes into one sharp image I am all over that shit!

*RTFF*

I'm all over this shit!

PeteG

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:37 pm »
This has been out on the web for a month or so, I seen a video where the CEO said they will have a competitive P&S out soon. Also saw a picture that was ALL in focus with a 3-D look to it.

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:43 pm »
Cool!  If that can also work in reverse and be able to stack all the focus planes into one sharp image I am all over that shit!

Well being that is usually a function of software manipulation I don't see any reason why you can't have a stacked focus image at a click of the mouse.  :thumb: or conversely if you wanted an image where everything is out of focus that should be easy to accomplish as well.  :duh:

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2011, 02:52 pm »
Can I focus the whole picture?

Light field technology will let you bring everything into focus for that sharp picture you’ve always dreamed of.  Look for this capability on Lytro living pictures soon.

Good grief, with this technology we can finally make Hey Look, I Made This City Look Like A Tiny Model pictures AND Hey Look, I Made This Tiny Model Look Like A Real City pictures at the same time!  I'm sold.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2011, 05:44 pm »
I could do a time lapse.............

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2011, 06:30 pm »
Now THERE'S something we haven't seen yet! :lol: :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2011, 06:47 pm »
Now THERE'S something we haven't seen yet! :lol: :thumb:
It would work well for ..... oh, I don't know....one armed photographers.  :wink:

viggen

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2011, 12:46 am »
So, with a 11mm lens on a 30MP camera, I can just snap snap snap and everything in front of the camera will be in focus.  And, I can frame the shot by cropping the file.  You only need one lens from here on out.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2011, 02:09 am »
It would work well for ..... oh, I don't know....one armed photographers.  :wink:

That's a cheap shot, Bro.  I think I'll post a photo of me in my Gladiator-like sling and shoulder-mounted cold-water irrigation system, but then I looked at it again, and, well, uh, maybe not. :oops: :slap: :weights: :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2011, 03:12 am »
 :wink: