3.7s in the Ford household

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
3.7s in the Ford household
« on: 23 Jun 2011, 11:56 pm »
They're here!
First, I'd like to thank the people at The Listening Room in Towson for just a great buying experience.
No pressure at all, a good trade-in allowance on my 3.6s and to top it off they not only delivered them to my door but Don and his grandson, Mike, insisted on taking the time to set them up.
I was just hoping that they'd help me lug them inside!
You don't find this kind of service very often, nowadays.
It's no surprise that they have a loyal following in this area as they're aces in my book.
Review to follow as they've only got about 2 hours of playing time on them but right off the bat I can tell that they do things that the venerable 3.6s and the new 1.7s just can't do. 
The speaker upgrade bug has been exterminated.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: 3.7s in the Ford household
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2011, 11:59 pm »
Great news! I am thinking about a pair of 3.7s but i still enjoy my 3.6s. I want to waiit until the backlog is over on 3.7s...
And I can actually audition the 3.7s at my dealers.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:15 am »
Congrats!!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2011, 01:18 am »
Thanks.  I never thought I'd spend that much on a set of speakers but once I heard them it was all over for Funboy, here.
Review forthcoming once they finish breaking in.

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2011, 07:28 am »
I'd love to own a pair of Magnepans some day

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2011, 05:18 pm »

Hey I just went to their website for the first time and noticed the MMG. What are those like?

steve k

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2011, 05:40 pm »
Congratulations Steve,
I am tremendously jealous.  :green: Couple questions. Are the 3.7's biampable? Are you able to see the crossover parts and ID them? I understand they're using better parts these days. Just curious what type of caps and inductors they're using now.

Steve (a happy IIIA bi-amper up until now)  :roll:

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2011, 06:24 pm »
Hey I just went to their website for the first time and noticed the MMG. What are those like?

Since the most expensive part of any audiophile speaker is the box, probably the best speakers you'll find at its price point as long as you don't have a huge room and a need to have high SPL

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2011, 06:24 pm »
Congrats Steve - I have yet to year them.  Did hear the 1.7s and they were nice - can only imagine.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2011, 07:01 pm »
Glad your's finally came in. Worth the wait! I've had my 3.7s for about 2 weeks now and I've only left the house to go to work! Otherwise, I've had my fat arse camped in the "sweetspot". Enjoy the weekend with your new speakers and we'll be waiting for that review.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2011, 07:12 pm »
Huh, thanks Phil.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2011, 09:17 pm »
For six bills you can't go wrong with the MMGs but if you can afford more speaker I'd say go up the ladder.
I still have my MMGs nearly 15 years later?  Something like that.
Steve K, they're not biampable and there's no more crossover box, the guts are all inside of the sock.
I'll do the review this weekend, I was hoping to have my stands made but it doesn't look like they'll be ready in time.  Welders!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2011, 10:08 pm »
The A'gon prices on used 1.6s seem to have dropped across the board.  I'd go for those over MMGs any day, for what, $200 more?

steve k

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm »
Steve K, they're not biampable and there's no more crossover box, the guts are all inside of the sock.

Ah too bad. I think biamping or triamping is the only way to really grip the drivers and eliminate crosstalk but their goal is better integration I suppose. I'm anxious to hear your review. I imagine they're flying off the shelves after the two TAS reviews.
steve

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2011, 10:05 pm »
Are they that much better, the 1.6? I am really tempted to pick up a set of MMG's. And if I like them I can trade up for full price with Magnepan later right?

I think it might be neat to have a set of those paired with one of GR's forthcoming 8" servosub in my room, or a pair of them.

I'm reading reviews of the MMG and people are just floored by these things. I've never read much about planars, I always figured it would be something I'd get around to. It might be my time.

Would MMG's you think, with a nice subwoofer, provide all I need? I listen to a lot of heavy music so I need that fast punch and I worry about time alignment issues, etc, but I certainly want to try electrostats.

I am a jazz beginner with a nice little collection going but I am loathe to have to change speakers out for different types of music. Well, at this point I am. I only own one amp.

Sorry for the hijack.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm »
Are they that much better, the 1.6? I am really tempted to pick up a set of MMG's. And if I like them I can trade up for full price with Magnepan later right?

I think it might be neat to have a set of those paired with one of GR's forthcoming 8" servosub in my room, or a pair of them.

I'm reading reviews of the MMG and people are just floored by these things. I've never read much about planars, I always figured it would be something I'd get around to. It might be my time.

Would MMG's you think, with a nice subwoofer, provide all I need? I listen to a lot of heavy music so I need that fast punch and I worry about time alignment issues, etc, but I certainly want to try electrostats.

I am a jazz beginner with a nice little collection going but I am loathe to have to change speakers out for different types of music. Well, at this point I am. I only own one amp.

Sorry for the hijack.

See here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96124.0

KKM

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm »
Steve,

What size room so you have the 3.7's in? I had 3.6's in a 13'x28' room and the room was too small. Sold them and got some Gallo's. Got the Maggie itch again so bought a 12, which sounds good but will probably get 1.7's. IF 3.7's sound good in my room I would get them but base on the 3.6 experience, probably won't. Can't really modify the room due to WAF. So kinda curious how big your room is.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2011, 10:42 pm »
It's kind of an oddly shaped room:
25x16 with the speakers in the 16' area.
Behind the listening position is a hallfway to the left, to the right is a dining area so that makes that portion 25' wide and behind that is the opening to the kitchen.
The 1.7s with the tweeters inboard would probably work out really well for you.

cityjim

« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2011, 11:45 pm »
They're here!
First, I'd like to thank the people at The Listening Room in Towson for just a great buying experience.
No pressure at all, a good trade-in allowance on my 3.6s and to top it off they not only delivered them to my door but Don and his grandson, Mike, insisted on taking the time to set them up.
I was just hoping that they'd help me lug them inside!
You don't find this kind of service very often, nowadays.
It's no surprise that they have a loyal following in this area as they're aces in my book.
Review to follow as they've only got about 2 hours of playing time on them but right off the bat I can tell that they do things that the venerable 3.6s and the new 1.7s just can't do. 
The speaker upgrade bug has been exterminated.

I've heard the 3.6 and 3.7 maggies. If you were in a totally dark room with music playing and had to say which pair was playing, you'd be surprised. You'll hear more differences in cable changes than from the 3.6 to 3.7. The 3.6 is still no slouch. Myself I wouldn't go from the 3.6 to the 3.7. I'd jump up to the 20.1R's. Now there's a real massive improvement all around. The 20's walk all over the baby brother 3 series.

cityjim

rw@cn

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2011, 06:17 pm »
Steve,

What size room so you have the 3.7's in? I had 3.6's in a 13'x28' room and the room was too small. Sold them and got some Gallo's. Got the Maggie itch again so bought a 12, which sounds good but will probably get 1.7's. IF 3.7's sound good in my room I would get them but base on the 3.6 experience, probably won't. Can't really modify the room due to WAF. So kinda curious how big your room is.

That is a nice sized room. Why do you say it is too small?