Hitch style bike rack

JoshK

Hitch style bike rack
« on: 23 Jun 2011, 03:36 pm »
Do you guys have any suggestions for a hitch bike rack for 1 1/4" receiver that holds 3 bikes?  I know they exist but are more rare, but most of the ones I've seen that meet the requirements have poor ratings due to low reliability (cheap build).

TomS

Re: Hitch style bike rack
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2011, 11:40 pm »
Thule T2 917 or 918 2 bike base plus 2 bike extension if you plan to use it a lot. Pricey but very solid.

bunnyma357

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2011, 03:08 am »
I have the Thule T2 for 1 1/4" Receiver and have been happy with it.  As far as I recall, they didn't make more than a 2 bike version for the small receiver, I think for 4 bikes you need the 2" version.

I've had mine for 4-5 years, so this may have changed.

Jim C

Mike Nomad

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2011, 01:42 pm »
There are adapters to go from Class I & II to Class III/IV (2") receiver hitches. Get an adapter, and then you can reap the benefits of the better build quality & bigger capacity found in the 2" mount racks.

Regalma

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2011, 07:14 pm »
Adapters will add a fair amount of length. If you have a 1.25" receiver I would quess that your vehicle isn't high off the ground. So going over bumps and driveways could cause scrapping or damage to your bike.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2011, 09:05 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I actually pulled the trigger on a Thule Helium 3 (971).  It holds three bikes and is by default a 1.25" hitch.  I watched an online tutorial on how to set it up and that for me was the selling point as I could actually see how it all worked.