Shunt-mode pot. Was input attenuation

CButterworth

Shunt-mode pot. Was input attenuation
« on: 8 Apr 2004, 04:38 pm »
Hello,

A few weeks ago, I made a posting regarding input attenuation on the AKSA 55.  I got great replies from a number of folk and finally opted for the suggestion made by Malcolm Fear that I should use an L-pad with a single resistor in-line in the signal and use my ALPS 50K pot in shunt-mode between signal and ground.

After inserting  121K Vishay resistors and changing the pot to shunt mode, the sonics of the AKSA 55 changed dramatically.  Not only could I get the volume control to be comfortable at around 12 O'clock, but the bass became stronger (but not overpowering) balancing well with the mid-range, although things do still sound a little bright in the upper registers.

I was wowed a few days later when I changed out the cheap DVD/CD to amp interconnect for a WireWorld Oasis III+ (affordable) and ran the power supply through a Monster mains conditioner.  

My plan initialy was always to turn off the TV, play some music and read (a novel or work-related, academic stuff).  I have yet to do this.  Yes, the TV gets turned off, but can I read while playing music? No.  After a few paragraphs, I stop reading and simply listen to the glorious sounds coming from the AKSA, I have never been so engaged by music that I previously considered sufficiently undemanding to read by.

My next task is to attempt non-expensive speaker mods to my cheap Sony 3-ways.  One day I'll buy a good set of speakers, until then I will attempt a number of modifications that are discussed by TNT-audio, and save spare cash for the time being.

Last weekend, I spoke with Malcom on the telephone. He was in the LA area on the initial leg of his SW US tour.  So Malcolm, thanks for your advice and I hope that the trip is going as planned.

Regards,
Charlie

PSP

me too!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2004, 06:40 pm »
Hi Charlie,
Most nights I read while listening to music on my TLP + AKSA 55N... but, even after a couple of years, my reading is constantly interrupted as my attention is drawn to the music.  Hugh must have done at least a few things right  :mrgreen:  in the designs, yes?

Have fun,
Peter