Distribution systems - "whole house" audio.

MaxCast

Re: Distribution systems - "whole house" audio.
« Reply #40 on: 27 Jun 2011, 02:15 am »
Well, it is neither cheap nor cheerful at this point ...

:lol:

This may fall in between the details but I think EDS wanted a cheap way to do a whole house audio system and as long as Letitroll doesn't mind lets keep suggesting cheep whole house (multi room) distribution systems.  Cheap multi room set ups may be of interest to many members...let the number of rooms be up to the reader.

wgscott

« Reply #41 on: 27 Jun 2011, 02:40 am »
I'm being facetious in case that wasn't obvious.  This seems as good a place as any.  Maybe I am starting with a false assumption, but I assume everyone either has a music server (computer) they are currently using, or would not explicitly consider this part of the cost. But no matter.  The only point I was trying to make is that you can get zone functionality on the cheap with ATV2 (which is what I have).  My guess is Sonos does it better, but it is disingenuous to rig the argument so that the two options come out costing the same, especially since the $100 ATV2 provides the analogous functionality to the $350 ZP90, and there is no need for the $100 zone bridge.  Also, there is no reason why you need any more or fewer remote controls (or iPads) than you do with Sonos.  It is cheaper, unless you rig the comparison.

srb

« Reply #42 on: 27 Jun 2011, 02:54 am »
The only point I was trying to make is that you can get zone functionality on the cheap with ATV2 (which is what I have).  My guess is Sonos does it better, but it is disingenuous to rig the argument so that the two options come out costing the same, especially since the $100 ATV2 provides the analogous functionality to the $350 ZP90, and there is no need for the $100 zone bridge.

1.  It is neither disingenuous or rigged in comparing the Apple TV and the Sonos ZP90 in the manner that I did.  The $100 Apple TV does not provide the analogous functionality to the $350 Sonos ZP90 as the Sonos has a built-in DAC and the Apple TV does not.  There is probably a decent DAC for less money than the one I included in my sample, but I was not going to suggest or recommend one of the really cheap no-name Chinese junker DACs on eBay.

2.  If none of the Sonos zone players are located where one of them can have a wired Ethernet connection to the network, then the Wireless Bridge is required.

Steve

EDS_

« Reply #43 on: 27 Jun 2011, 03:35 am »
Well,
I struggled within which circle my post belonged.  I chose cheap and cheerful because half the fun of this hobby is envisioning and then implementing a system that sounds and functions well for less than "normal" high end costs.  As with other areas of our hobby the nexus of computers/wifi etc. and downstream gear yields a tremendous impact on distributed systems.

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #44 on: 27 Jun 2011, 03:51 am »
To set up the Sonos system, either the Bridge, ZP90 or ZP120 is needed depending on what you're looking to do. For instance if your router is located in one room & you want music in other parts of the house then you would connect the bridge to the router to make the one hard wire connection that is needed. Now you're entire system is setup. Sonos does not share bandwidth w/ your existing home network so you don't have to worry about bandwith constraints or sluggish internet performance...it's it own network.

Now simply place an S5 speaker in any room, garage, outside, etc. etc & now you're playing music. Let's say you have speakers on the patio/pool deck...then you need the ZP120 (two built in 55w amps) for that application. For your HT/2 channel system you need the ZP90 (non amplified) with digital out for running an outboard dac if you choose over it's internal dac, & analog connections. It can all be controlled by the CR200 controller or your iphone, itouch, ipad, Android.

The bridge, S5 speaker & a controller (Sonos or your own device) & your're in business. Cost: $500 with your own device or $850 with the Sonos CR200. Now simply expand as your needs dictate.   

wgscott

« Reply #45 on: 27 Jun 2011, 04:38 am »
the Sonos has a built-in DAC and the Apple TV does not. 

Sorry, I did not know that.  Is it any good (the Airport Express one wasn't)?

JohnR

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jun 2011, 07:59 am »
My understanding is [ATV2]that its optical output is limited to 48KHz maximum but will pass 44.1KHz redbook untouched, if of course you are bypassing any computer resampling such as the Windows Mixer on the Windows platform.

It converts 44.1k material to 48 kHz (unless it has a setting that I missed when I set it up).

JohnR

« Reply #47 on: 27 Jun 2011, 08:09 am »
How do you get your music into a Sonos server?

srb

« Reply #48 on: 27 Jun 2011, 08:43 am »
My understanding is that its [Apple TV] optical output is limited to 48KHz maximum but will pass 44.1KHz redbook untouched, if of course you are bypassing any computer resampling such as the Windows Mixer on the Windows platform.

It converts 44.1k material to 48 kHz (unless it has a setting that I missed when I set it up).

Apparently the old Apple TV did not upsample 44.1KHz files to 48Khz.  The Airport Express is also bit perfect with 44.1KHz files.

But for some reason the new Apple TV does upsample everything to 48KHz, which is somewhat unfortunate for audiophiles.

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #49 on: 27 Jun 2011, 08:50 am »
But for some reason the new Apple TV does upsample everything to 48KHz, which is somewhat unfortunate for audiophiles.

Why do you say that - have you tested it? (Edit: just seems odd to me to focus in on one aspect of what is after all a very inexpensive gadget)

wgscott

« Reply #50 on: 27 Jun 2011, 10:23 am »
In fairness, i brought it up.

It manages to play my 24/96 files without audible degradation, so whatever it does to resample seems to work adequately.  I plug itinto my 1st gen Zeppelin.

For audiophile listening, what does the ZP90 do that is superior with high resolution files?  I thought it was limited to redbook.

Oh, one other little feature about the Apple Tv:  You can plugit into a TV and have a video zone player.  :P

EDS_

« Reply #51 on: 27 Jun 2011, 02:14 pm »

*In my case Sonos found the music in my iTunes music folder. 

I bought a Sonos system of 2 Zonebridges and 2 S5 (speaker, amp combo with Zonebridge like capability built in).

I loaded Sonos software on my Mactop then connected a Zonbridge to my router via an ethernet cable and "found" that device.  And so on until all four devices were enabled and I loaded the Sonos app for iPhone at the same time.  This took maybe 15 minutes in total - while drinking a glass of wine.

Thoughts:
1.  The Sonos software is miraculously well thought out and executed.  It's dummy proof.
2.  The iPhone app works perfectly too.  Not to mention one can run the app and software control on ones computer interchangeably.
3.  The S5 sounds great for such a small speakers.  Via push buttons two S5s can be made into a stereo pair.
4.  I can vouch for the fact the different music may be listened to in various zones.

Awesome as it was I took the system back as A. my wife thought the S5 looked "cheap", IMO they do not and who really cares?  B. I think I can do better for less with Audioengine speakers and Apple Airport Expresses or Apple TVs.

srb

« Reply #52 on: 27 Jun 2011, 03:29 pm »
Apparently the old Apple TV did not upsample 44.1KHz files to 48Khz.  The Airport Express is also bit perfect with 44.1KHz files.

Why do you say that - have you tested it? (Edit: just seems odd to me to focus in on one aspect of what is after all a very inexpensive gadget)

No, I don't have one, but you stated that it did so.

That lead me to research it further, and found that users at Computer Audiophile who have the latest Apple TV all seemed to confirm your statement.

I'm not focusing on one aspect, but for audiophiles who are generally seeking bit perfect output even for modest systems, I thought it was odd that the Apple TV upsamples and Airport Express does not, which is also a very inexpensive gadget.

Steve

wgscott

« Reply #53 on: 27 Jun 2011, 03:36 pm »
I think the reason is most video soundtracks are 48kHz, not 41kHz.  It may be that it handles both.  I got my info from the same CA source, so it might be worth double-checking.  In any case, I don't notice a negative impact.

Ironically, EDS_ comments have made me more interested in checking out Sonos.

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #54 on: 27 Jun 2011, 03:41 pm »

I've ripped all of my CD's to FLAC using dBpoweramp & J. River Media. Sonos took it from there & found them. Works like a charm.

JohnR

« Reply #55 on: 27 Jun 2011, 04:22 pm »
I guess bit-perfect is the new THD.

Anyway, back on topic, I suppose the lure/trap of the ATV is that you can just add one with low cost when you need it. I can see the difference with a ground-up design. Thanks, illuminating thread  :thumb:

EDS_

« Reply #56 on: 28 Jun 2011, 12:54 am »
I think the reason is most video soundtracks are 48kHz, not 41kHz.  It may be that it handles both.  I got my info from the same CA source, so it might be worth double-checking.  In any case, I don't notice a negative impact.

Ironically, EDS_ comments have made me more interested in checking out Sonos.

I think you'd be impressed.