Tubeguru preamplifiers

Gopher

Tubeguru preamplifiers
« on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:09 pm »
Does anyone here have experience with Tubeguru preamplifiers?  I'm about to purchase a full function ECC808 based linestage from them which includes a phono section that is supposed to exceptional.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuFF0a3kao

I haven't heard any of their preamps, but have heard a pair of their F2a push pull monoblocks (Berto's) and they were really exquisite.  The preamps are supposed to be even more special and, after hearing the ECC83 (a notch down from the one I'm ordering) compared FAVORABLY to a Shindo Masseto I'm quite excited and sold off a Shindo Auregies-L to fund it.  http://www.tubeguru.hu/audio_tube_amplifier_SE/Preamplifiers,_phono_stages/Pages/NEW!_Preamp_in_RED.html

There is a 30 day money back guaranty with no re-stock so I figured what the hell.  If its really as good as claimed it may be my last preamp as the Auregies was phenomenal just not versatile with its very high output impedance.   

Can any ACers chime in on what I might expect?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Tubeguru preamplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:18 pm »
Where are the prices?

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:25 pm »
Not cheap...   Introductory pricing is $2250 for the ECC83 and $2650 for the one I've got ordered.  I'm told prices will increase significantly once their US website is up and some of the units are reviewed (scheduled with 6moons).

Its a big expense for a blind purchase, but with an unconditional refund and hearing how effing good Berto's F2a push pull monos are, I thought it a worthy experiment.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:27 pm »
That website gave me the Internet equivalent of car sickness  :?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:29 pm »
Not cheap...   Introductory pricing is $2250 for the ECC83 and $2650 for the one I've got ordered.  I'm told prices will increase significantly once their US website is up and some of the units are reviewed (scheduled with 6moons).

Its a big expense for a blind purchase, but with an unconditional refund and hearing how effing good Berto's F2a push pull monos are, I thought it a worthy experiment.

How much are the F2a's? 

Gopher

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2011, 07:31 pm »
Yeah, their website is 'teh suck'

I think his f2a monos retail at $4k. 

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2011, 08:40 pm »
Don't like the word "Professional" on it.
WTF is that? Seems like 70's marketing.
Professional what, audiophile?

OK..........

D

Gopher

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2011, 09:11 pm »
lol, yeah.

I'm not wild about it looks wise, mine is supposed to be in black.  Even if it isn't the outstanding performer its claimed to be (better than a Shindo Masseto) and is ONLY AS GOOD as my Shindo Auregies-L and Jasmine LP2.0SE/Bob's SUT, it will still remove the need for a phono preamp, SUT, power cable and two interconnects from that position...

Can't argue with that simplification! 

The money I pull out of the system will go towards treatment for the room.  I haven't been happy since a recent change and I'm hoping to stop the insanity and just get to my happy place.  Before when I was tweaking I was working from a solid base that I was happy with, but looking to improve.  I had to scrap amp/preamp because I just wasn't even happy in current configuration to begin with.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2011, 09:25 pm »
Wow, this Hungary site is full of photos, how would say David Bowman.
Those 211 monoblocks are salivating to anyone...
This builder made a great hardwiring job underside. :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2011, 02:14 pm »
Yeah, they look very competently built.

They also have an alleged Ongaku clone which caught my attention.  No idea on pricing and I don't necessarily agree with their marketing ("Shindo Killer", "Ongaku Reissue", etc.) but I'm quite excited to hear their product.

bacobits1

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2011, 02:31 pm »
My kidding aside about the "Professional" label the stuff really looks very nicely made and would love to hear it.

D

Berto

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2011, 02:56 pm »
In a week from sat Im hoping I can tell you what I think , of course that will be right outta da box. Now if it sounds as good or better as Freds entry level shindo I will be psyched.

I am very happy with my monos they do build nice stuff, a lil overaggressive on the marketing since can't be a Ongaku clone unless it has ultra pricey silver handwound transformers.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2011, 08:01 pm »
Any news to report on the new preamps?

Gopher

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2011, 11:00 pm »
It was too early to really judge in my rig, but it was not the epiphany I'd hoped to have.  With no burn in, minimal warm up it added some depth and presence to the presence my Torii 3 is offering but did take on a somewhat shouty character which Rob and I suspect would resolve with burn in.

I will revisit it again when all is burned in and I'm familiar (mine should be ready in 3 weeks) but I'm not sure this particular amp benefits fully from it.

Berto

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jul 2011, 06:06 am »
Much bigger difference in my rig. Probably helps I have amps from same designer that are not meant to double as integrateds.  Freds Tori 3 is a real competant piece on its own and it seems to be designed that way.  Not fully broken in yet but synergy is everything and so far I like what I hear. I will do a followup when Its properly burned in.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2011, 11:34 am »
Any more updates? 

Gopher

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jul 2011, 01:40 pm »
I haven't gotten another crack at it, but with around 100 hours on Berto's it didn't bring much to the table as a line stage for me and I've put my order on hold pending an epiphany.

I was using a Torii naked before it and it brought a touch more presence and depth to the picture but that was it really.  The tonal and dynamic character stayed the same pretty much and I'd just as soon run my Torii as a naked as it has an input for both of my sources.

That said, I understand that Berto tried the TG at Sunnydaze's place and, while it was blase as a line stage it was phenomenal as a phono pre, crushing the Jasmine (which is a very good performer).  They said it was jaw dropping good for analog and I believe it.

Additionally, rolling tubes has supposedly helped things a good bit, but it will take a bit to impress me.  I kinda wish I still had my Shindo to try with my Torii--I think that would have been perfect.

sunnydaze

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2011, 02:05 pm »
Yep, what Fred / Gopher said.

In my system, the TG line stage with my Metronome cdp was competent but not compelling.  Just so-so.  Actually bested by my YS Audio / Audio Experience A2 Balanced preamp by a fairly wide margin, I thought.  Berto / Rob agreed.  To be fair, things did get better w tube rolling, but we never hit upon any kinda real synergy that really kicked things into gear.

OTOH, it was sick good with vinyl.  Really impressive.  I had no idea my analog setup was THAT good!      :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2011, 06:28 pm »
Hmmm, wonder how much the standalone phono stage costs...

Gopher

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:09 pm »
It was a little over three grand if I recall correctly.