Integrating N2X with Sub

chronicali

Integrating N2X with Sub
« on: 15 Jun 2011, 06:57 pm »
Hi, I hope this isn't an ignorant question (what a way to start a request).  I need some advice integrating my MFW15 sub with my N2X speakers dealing with the crossover.  In the past, I used another amp with a sub-out, so I've always just used that to route out to the sub.  Now I'm using the Tranquility DAC to an Onix SP3, and now I'm wondering what is the best way to do this integration from my SP3 to the MFW15 and N2X.  Any advice?

FYI, the N2X IMO beats out my old Strata Minis, although I do hear some very slight distortion in the right tweeter at very high volumes.  (The bass on these is surprisingly good, but a sub would definitely help)  I'm still trying to figure/single out whether this distortion or buzz on some notes is coming from the tweeter issue, track issue, or EQ issue...  This is only heard on a few songs, has anyone ever encountered this as well?  My source is a PC with foobar2k straight to the Tranquility.  I'm hoping crossing over the lower octaves to the sub will help me see better sonic integration and also allow the N2X not work as hard on the lower end and concentrate more on the highs and mids.  I bought this N2X used from another forum member about two weeks ago.

chronicali

Re: Integrating N2X with Sub
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2011, 09:00 pm »
Quoted for PM with the seller:

Yes, the distortion was also there when I had them , but only at really loud levels which I only listened to once , as normal level was enough for me and I never paid attention to it anymore and had no issues with distortion so far.
I doubt that the distortion is coming from the drivers but from the box itself , as it is a closed design and at high volumes these bass drivers will try to pull and move a lot of air out of the box .
That's why the N2X isn't recommended for high sound levels.
But you still will enjoy these little gems , the more you listen to them .

Anyone else have their unit exhibiting this behavior?  Thanks.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2011, 09:33 pm »
Well, that is not a common problem and there are several things that could be causing it. It could even be as simple as an internal wire that is right up against the woofer frame or something and vibrating against it at just the right level.

That amp has no outputs other than speaker outputs. So there is no pulling off the lows from the N2X using it. They will get a full range signal.

Also the bottom end on that amp is very soft and a little rolled off. So even putting a Y in the speaker cables and using the speaker level inputs on the sub amp is not going to be a good idea.

Consider one of the Dodd Buffers even as a kit. It is very inexpensive and will give you multiple outputs. So you can send one set to the amp and one set to the sub amp. It will also allow you to pull some lows off of the amp that is powering the N2X if you need to. However, as small as that amp is and as soft as it is in the bottom end, you might want to just send a full range signal from it to the N2X's.

chronicali

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm »
Thanks Danny, I'll probably take off the drivers and take a look inside to figure it out sometime down the line.

I'll look into the Dodd Buffers, I am somewhat of a DIY guy but that build may be a little hard for me.  Great speakers you designed btw, very enjoyable.  Any amps you would suggest that would pair up well with the N2X?  I've heard tubes work wonders on these ribbon tweeters...

tesseract

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2011, 04:53 pm »
chronicali - When your N2X's came up for sale, I had the audition pair of N2X's sitting on my floor, fresh from from Fed Ex. I didn't have time to listen to them before you snagged up that pair! I was so mad at myself when I came home and saw they were gone. I immediately hooked up the traveling pair. I am enjoying them more everyday. Nothing out there can touch them for the money.

Although they can be overdriven, it is the woofers that are unhappy with this pair, they start to make a "popping" noise. I have been unable to hear any untoward sounds coming from the tweeter.

They are not HT speakers, in my experience they are good for 95 dB (at the LP) max. This is with dual subs contributing.

Enjoy those, they have become one of my favorite speakers. Hope you figure out the tweeter issue.