N3 Sealed Tower

tesseract

N3 Sealed Tower
« on: 13 Jun 2011, 02:44 pm »
Danny, I really like what I have heard from the N2X audition pair. If you like I can post my impressions in another thread.

My question to you is, would an N3 tower minus the transmission line/port be feasible? I want a stand like I have seen you recommend in the past, flush with the front baffle of the speaker, and a tower seems to be an easier and more convenient way to do this.

I'm sure a divider midway to keep the volume to spec would work fine. I'm curious, can the whole internal volume be used to some advantage without risking overloading the drivers?

Danny Richie

Re: N3 Sealed Tower
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:26 pm »
You might as well build the TL line version. It will allow better low end extension and control the drivers better.

And feel free to post you listening impressions whereever you like.

tesseract

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:30 pm »
Danny, my current mains are ported. I don't know if it helps or not, but I am guessing that the sealed N2X's let me hear my subs with less interference. The subs just sound better.

So the N3TL has better driver control than the N3S? That could make the difference for me.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2011, 03:51 pm »
You probably have better matching roll offs using the N2X as it is sealed and giving you a 12db per octave roll off.

The good thing about the N3 is that it is -3db down at 40Hz. The lower crossover point makes integrating a sub even easier as the wavelengths at 40Hz are much longer.

And yes, you can lay more power on the N3 and the woofers will handle it with more control. Sensitivity is higher too.

tesseract

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2011, 04:50 pm »
Makes perfect sense, thanks Danny!

mojave

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2011, 04:52 pm »
I'm looking forward to reading your impressions of the N2X.

tesseract

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2011, 05:21 pm »
I'm on my way to bed soon (I work nights). I took notes and I will try to organize my thoughts sometime this week.

I did put a few pics in my gallery.

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2011, 03:35 am »
You can also do the sealed version of the N3, the N3s which is like a center channel speaker in dimensions.

tesseract

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2011, 02:22 pm »
My primary concern was the speaker stands required for the N3S, Danny says that it is best to have a stand that is basically an extension of the baffle, on the same plane as the baffle and all the way to the floor. Aether Audio does this too for the same reasons. I'll try and dig up a few links that explain this better, a little busy at the moment. It is a worthy topic that needs to be reexamined. 

Sounds like the N3TL will give even better results than a sealed tower or stand mount, the woofers like to loaded with the transmission line and you benefit from extra sensitivity. You guys with the sealed can always move to a tranny or better stands at a later time.  :idea:

The question came up when I noticed how much better my subs sounded with the sealed N2X than my ported B&W's. I already knew the 12dB roll off of the N2X is a contributor and Danny confirmed this.

I wonder how the tranny line will work, even at the low XO of 40 Hz. I'm at 50 Hz, 24dB/octave on the sub amp right now, according to the dial and measurements. Wouldn't that be low enough to mesh with a ported design?

Listening to Tool "10,000 Days" right now, lots of fun.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm »
I read that somewhere too about the stands but then never found the source again so I haven't tried it.  I might do it now...

I have just been setting the crossover on the SA1 amp by ear, what would the correct crossover setting on the sub be while using the N3S?  I am using an amp with fixed outs and a pre-amp.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2011, 02:51 am »
I read that somewhere too about the stands but then never found the source again so I haven't tried it.  I might do it now...

I have just been setting the crossover on the SA1 amp by ear, what would the correct crossover setting on the sub be while using the N3S?  I am using an amp with fixed outs and a pre-amp.

By ear works just fine.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2011, 09:47 am »
By ear works just fine.

Cool, thanks!  It all sounds great btw...

« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2011, 11:34 pm by django11 »

tesseract

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2011, 04:32 pm »
I changed the toe in a bit, well I experimented a lot, and ended up just a bit off of where I began. Toed out just a smidgen more, still crossing behind my head.

Wow, what a difference. These guys are sensitive to toe in, something I expected from a planar. I am smitten by the highs. I'll have to give them more of my time this weekend.

Steely Dan 2AN spinning now.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2011, 11:54 am »
Danny, my current mains are ported. I don't know if it helps or not, but I am guessing that the sealed N2X's let me hear my subs with less interference. The subs just sound better.

I used to have Mission mtm floorstanders and the av123 xls, both rear ported, and with both I had the same issue in my room:  bass that I found annoying.  I would plug the ports, unplug the ports, move them in and out and I tried treating the wall behind them.  Nothing got rid of the effect. 
Now with the sealed N3 my problem has vanished :thumb:.  I have no idea of the explanation, maybe it is just my tastes but with the sealed N3 and a sub I have what I would describe as tight, tuneful bass.

Disclaimer: I haven't heard the N3 TL.