Anybody hear the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1's yet???

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Anybody hear the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1's yet???
« on: 11 Jun 2011, 05:49 pm »
Has anyone heard these long enough to give a quick opinion??? They look very well made and keep getting good write-ups, I'm curious.....my son Graduates HS this year coming up and when I was a kid we all got Stereo's for Graduation presents and I want to revive that tradition.

Rclark

Re: Anybody hear the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1's yet???
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2011, 06:45 pm »
why don't ya build him some av-1's or n2's and rock his socks off?

srb

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2011, 07:17 pm »
why don't ya build him some av-1's or n2's and rock his socks off?

In what areas did you find that the AV-1 or N2 were better than the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1?

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2011, 09:02 pm »
I think it would be neat to give something you made, rather than just bought. My opine. If id heard the wfds I would have mentioned it for sure.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2011, 09:25 pm »
I'm physically handicapped and unable to build either of those and from what I've been reading about the 10.1's is they are made quite well. I am considering purchasing them while I can still walk and open the boxes...so if anyone has heard them please let me know.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm »
Sorry to hear that brother  :(

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm »
I'm physically handicapped and unable to build either of those and from what I've been reading about the 10.1's is they are made quite well. I am considering purchasing them while I can still walk and open the boxes...so if anyone has heard them please let me know.

I'd like to hear more feedback about them too, just for curiosity's sake. They sure are pretty!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2011, 11:10 pm »
Everytime I see them I go "I'm gettin those!" .....they were $299 for awhile, no more........

fredgarvin

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:26 am »
I've heard several of the Wharfedale  Diamond series over the years, from 7.1 on-they are very nice. I had the Valdus floor standing series for awhile in my home theater. They are a very good deal for the price imo, although I haven't heard this particular series of the Diamond. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find an earlier series cheap somewhere on  the webz.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2011, 12:29 am »
Everytime I see them I go "I'm gettin those!" .....they were $299 for awhile, no more........

I know I've seen them.  I almost grabbed them as surrounds for the office system (although it would get used like twice a year) as an upgrade.  I'm waiting to upgrade some office furniture and I just have not pulled the trigger on anything

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2011, 07:33 pm »
Hi Ecclein,I have not heard the Wharfdale 10.1.In Stereophile Steven Mejias did an article on them in the last couple of issues.Today,I just pulled out my new Stereophile July  issue and there is a full featured review by Robert J. Reina in there.It's a very favorable review with lots of examples of all kinds of music he tried out listening to...take care...Mark Korda

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2011, 07:53 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, because the Mejias articles are completely useless and come of as nothing but token prose bone thrown to the budget (as in 'real' budget, not 'anything under $2k') minded. I enjoy searching his articles for any actual opinions regarding the product supposedly under review, kind of like sudoku.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2011, 09:01 pm »
Thanks Mark!!! I saw that the other day thats why I posted this question because I wanted to see if anybody on here had actually heard them or not.........my CD player and DAC/pre both have two outputs so I was going to have a SS and a Tube rig using the same components except for amp and speakers just for kicks so thats why I'm exploring some other brand of speaker rather then JBL. I'd love some N2X's but not enough ching in the bank, the 10.1's I could swing with a little luck....

gnars

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2011, 10:20 pm »
eclein,  Thier's a used like new pr that just came on Audioasylum.

http://trade.audioasylum.com/ca/listing/Speakers-Monitor/Wharfedale/Diamond-10.1/Rosewood/47216

Doublej

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2011, 11:57 pm »
I haven't heard them, here's the best I can do for you.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/wharfedale-diamond-101

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2011, 03:44 am »
Got my Stereophile today. The full review looks like a BIG thumbs up. Great measurements. Looks like Wharfedale are taking aim at the <$500 market, taking no prisoners.