Layla on HDTracks

zacster

Layla on HDTracks
« on: 10 Jun 2011, 03:12 am »
Does anybody have this?  I just noticed it on HDTracks.  My vinyl copy is as beat up as they get, I bought it used back in the early 70s when it was just past current release and it was already in bad shape then.  It was always one of my favorites and got a lot of play, and it is still the only copy I've ever owned (although it appeared in my iTunes somehow, must've been my kids.) 

HDTracks has it as a 24/96 version, but from what I've read it was released on disk as redbook CD and DD 5.1/DTS, not a high-res version.  Was this version done at 24/96 from the master tapes or is it an upsample?  And if anybody has it, does it sound good?  There are a few alternate song versions and some live bonus cuts on it too, but I'm not so excited about that.

They list it at 34.95, but I'd sooner buy it on DVD-A, SACD or BD if it were available that way, but I didn't see it on Amazon or anywhere else.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Layla on HDTracks
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2011, 03:32 am »
Layla was released as an SACD back in 2004.  This is likely another of HDtracks's SACD rips by Bruce Brown, but I'm not sure about the extra cuts from the 40th anniversary edition...those weren't on the SACD 

http://www.amazon.com/Layla-Hybr-Ms-Derek-Dominos/dp/B00064X2QE

zacster

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2011, 10:36 am »
Thanks, now I see the SACD edition.  Since that is available for a lower price maybe I'll go for that.  I'm not that interested in the extra cuts anyway.  What little I heard of the extras sounded no better than the stuff that's available on Youtube or elsewhere.

I'm not all that up on SACD as I've never owned a player until now (Oppo 93).  It's that same player that allows me to play the hi-res downloads wirelessly from my computer so I've sort of bypassed the need for a silver disk, but I still like having them.

zacster

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2011, 03:11 am »
Funny thing is that last night when I first posted it was #48 on their top 50.  Now it is #1.  Did this just go online yesterday?  Is that why I didn't see it before?

firedog

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2011, 06:56 am »
this is based on the 40th anniversary remaster, so it's different than other versions and apparently is a new remastered version, not the SACD. I think HD Tracks only converts SACD to 88 and 176, so apparently it's not based on that.

I asked about it also over on computeraudiophile.com, and there were some very negative comments about the sound of the 40th anniversary edition and this download in particular.

zacster

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2011, 02:42 pm »
I just checked the computeraudiophile comments and it seems like HDTracks screwed up the first disk with the original tracks and it needs to be fixed.  You'd think they'd take a listen before they put it online.  (They is probably just Chesky himself.)

There is also some question whether this is from the SACD remaster or the new 40th Anniversary remaster.  The fact that this is the 40th anniversary makes me feel very old. 

And given how small this market is, I'm guessing now #1 means they sold a few of them in the last few days.

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2011, 03:07 pm »
Funny thing is that last night when I first posted it was #48 on their top 50.  Now it is #1.  Did this just go online yesterday?  Is that why I didn't see it before?

They sent out a mass email about it. So pretty much everyone whose ever bought anything got notified. I might just pick it up today as a happy B-day to myself!!!  :thumb:

DSD_Mastering

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2011, 08:03 pm »
No....  we didn't do this one. Yes, all SACD's are done at 88.2 and 176.4
DVD-A files that we do are 192/96/48 as well as tape transfers.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2011, 08:16 pm »
Thanks Bruce.

firedog

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2011, 10:06 am »
They've supposedly fixed the problems, and claim the source were the files sent to them by the record company.

Great. But don't they listen to the tracks before the release them for download? It seems like a no-brainer, but apparently it's not.

Not the kind of service one expects with a premium product with a premium price.