Very exciting tweak...

jonbee

Very exciting tweak...
« on: 7 Apr 2004, 04:25 am »
I'm not sure whether this is off-limits here, but I've found a new (for me) tweak that is quite remarkable that I wanted to share. I've posted a review on AA:http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/99483.html Check it out!

John Casler

Re: Very exciting tweak...
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2004, 04:39 am »
Quote from: jonbee
I'm not sure whether this is off-limits here, but I've found a new (for me) tweak that is quite remarkable that I wanted to share. I've posted a review on AA:http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/99483.html Check it out!

Hi Jonbee,

I too was a "victim" of the "silver tweakyamacallit" but it was from Walker.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=9399

I agree it is the real deal and suprisingly so.

This kind of result from a "tweak" is what this hobby is all about.

I was wondering about the Silclear version since it is less expensive.

Bob Wilcox

Very exciting tweak...
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2004, 11:22 am »
My ribbons had that intermittent crackle problem and I have been too lazy to send them in. I would fix it it by reflowing the solder until it came back again. A litlle SilClear around the rivets and I have had no problems for 3  1/2 months.

If people are opening up their speakers for lambswool or other mods, a little SilClear on the woofer connectors and the various solder junctions might be worth a shot.

John Casler

Very exciting tweak...
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2004, 02:15 pm »
Quote from: Bob Wilcox
My ribbons had that intermittent crackle problem and I have been too lazy to send them in. I would fix it it by reflowing the solder until it came back again. A litlle SilClear around the rivets and I have had no problems for 3  1/2 months.

If people are opening up their speakers for lambswool or other mods, a little SilClear on the woofer connectors and the various solder junctions might be worth a shot.

Hi Bob,

You beat me to the punch on that one.  As soon as I get my "own" silver magic, that is exaxtly what I plan to do.

In fact I will also open my amp and do the same thing on the pressure connectors to each monobloc.

With this substance however, care must be taken in appliction, since it can "short out a connection" if applied incorrectly.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
crackle
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2004, 03:14 pm »
The "crackle" is due to the rivet making the pressure-fit contact to the PC board working loose.  The solution is to replace the rivets with a ring terminal bolted directly to the diaphragm.  We have been doing this for a year and a half now with no "crackle" related failures.

Conductive jels like Silclear are fine as far as they go but do not improve the contacts the way our rebuild does.  

All panels delivered after Sep 2002 have the rebuild and will not develop the crackle.

audiochef

mids
« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:50 pm »
Bob,

Brian is right,but forgot to mention that it also improves the sound and efficiency.

It,s a must and will help your  mid defficiencies you often post about.

Most of all it's free, just send them into Brian.

Bob Wilcox

Very exciting tweak...
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2004, 01:52 am »
With this substance however, care must be taken in appliction, since it can "short out a connection" if applied incorrectly.

John

The SilClear product is soluable in ProGold spray. So I remove any excess
with a wet cutip followed by a dry cutip. You do not want even a faint smear that could bridge an IEC connector or plug spades for power cords. You would not coat an entire interconnect pin since the excess could be pushed to one end and create a bridge.

Audiochef
As far as my imaging issues, 4 RealTraps and a twin bed comforter hung across the speaker wall (and the lambs wool) have all contributed to improvements. But the tonal balance of the room has changed since I ditched my homemade bass traps and I am sure there is room for improvment. Time will tell.

As far as repair, I also have to have one set of the tweeters tested since the level pot on one side has a pretty narrow range. The thought of downtime with the RM40s is difficult for me but I am sure I will do it eventually.

audiochef

mid tweak
« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2004, 07:07 am »
Bob,

mid tweak is at least as good as Auricaps, you won't regret it.